Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Dennis Waterman

Was just coming on here to say.

I loved Minder and Sweenie. Gonna have to find them. somewhere.
My uncle looked a bit like Terry McCann in his younger years...
Teacher once told us she didn't like Waterman as she'd witnessed him being a drunken arsehole in a hotel she was staying at.

Anyway, RIP Dennis Waterman.
Minder and The Sweeney can be currently found on ITV4 for anyone interested.

I suppose the test is - if you had to choose a person for a chat, would it be them or a random off the street ...
I'm a bit too far up the spectrum for that and have lived long enough to view random chats with strangers with zero context with horror.
With regards his co-star John Thaw - perhaps - though I would most likely go for Timothy West, Patrick Stewart, Hugh Laurie or Michael Gambon first...
I suspect actors will be amongst the more disappointing people to meet ...

I think I'd want to draw a distinction there between the likes of Terry and June that were set in comfortable suburbia and carried with them a bunch of comfortable suburban assumptions and something like Reggie Perrin, which was set in exactly the same comfortable suburbia but lampooned its assumptions. The latter had a value that the former did not.
June Whitfield was an absolute comedy genius. If she had been male, or born 20 years later she'd be up there with the true greats. Sadly that wasn't how the world was/is.

June Whitfield was an absolute comedy genius. If she had been male, or born 20 years later she'd be up there with the true greats. Sadly that wasn't how the world was/is.
Not a great fan of Terry and June.
But loved June Whitfield - in particular her radio work.
Some great stuff with Roy Hudd (another comic genius)
She didn't do too bad in her career - left over 6 million in her will...
Incidentally Whitfield appeared in one episode of Minder....

Not a great fan of Terry and June.
But loved June Whitfield - in particular her radio work.
Some great stuff with Roy Hudd (another comic genius)
She didn't do too bad in her career - left over 6 million in her will...
Incidentally Whitfield appeared in one episode of Minder....

Terry Scott was a cunt, by all accounts but Hudd and Whitfield were stalwarts of British TV, stage and radio. About a decade ago she did an evening retrospective at the Cinema Museum. I meant to go but then forgot. I also had plans to see Hudd in pantomime at Wilton's Music Hall, but never made it to that either. I must try harder to catch superannuated talent before it's too late.
I have no great regrets about seeing Waterman before he expired. As a child I'm pretty sure I did see Terry Scott, again in pantomime.

Terry Scott was a cunt, by all accounts but Hudd and Whitfield were stalwarts of British TV, stage and radio. About a decade ago she did an evening retrospective at the Cinema Museum. I meant to go but then forgot. I also had plans to see Hudd in pantomime at Wilton's Music Hall, but never made it to that either. I must try harder to catch superannuated talent before it's too late.
I have no great regrets about seeing Waterman before he expired. As a child I'm pretty sure I did see Terry Scott, again in pantomime.
Yeah - I was aware of Scott's reputation.
Miriam Margolyes cites him as being the nastiest man she ever worked with.....
I seem to recall Whitfield appearing at The Cinema Museum - but like you missed it.
Ken Dodd is another I regret not seeing - never had the hours to spare!!
The Cinema Museum in Kennington has been under threat but has a reprieve at the moment.
I intend to visit it more often :thumbs:
The Cinema Museum, London

Back
Top Bottom