Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Dennis Waterman

Actually I think it's unfair to judge celebrities on an one-off encounter unless they are really vile...

Didn't know you were a youngster, this marks you out as one. I am your dad by the way.

On Minder and The Sweeney he came across as one of us, he even looks a bit like my brother. Most other stuff on TV then just had posh people in. So yeah, icon of a sort for those of a certain age. Shame he hit his wife.
I'm not convinced that TV was all posh people in the 60s/70s: Coronation Street, Steptoe, Till Death us do Part, On the Buses, The Rag Trade, all those Ken Loach dramas, Citizen Smith, Love thy Neighbour, Z Cars.
A lot of it was shit, mind you.

I'm not convinced that TV was all posh people in the 60s/70s: Coronation Street, Steptoe, Till Death us do Part, On the Buses, The Rag Trade, all those Ken Loach dramas, Citizen Smith, Love thy Neighbour, Z Cars.
A lot of it was shit, mind you.

Good job I said most not all then. Phew.

Didn't know you were a youngster, this marks you out as one. I am your dad by the way.

On Minder and The Sweeney he came across as one of us, he even looks a bit like my brother. Most other stuff on TV then just had posh people in. So yeah, icon of a sort for those of a certain age. Shame he hit his wife.
Out Of interest what programmes featured just posh people
I can't think of any....

Out Of interest what programmes featured just posh people
I can't think of any....

I think you're drawing the line of posh in a different place then. I'm not talking Princess Anne I'm talking June Whitfield and Terry Scott etc etc. RP (a class thing) not regional accents. Unless that region was the Home Counties.

I think you're drawing the line of posh in a different place then. I'm not talking Princess Anne I'm talking June Whitfield and Terry Scott etc etc. RP (a class thing) not regional accents. Unless that region was the Home Counties.
I think I'd want to draw a distinction there between the likes of Terry and June that were set in comfortable suburbia and carried with them a bunch of comfortable suburban assumptions and something like Reggie Perrin, which was set in exactly the same comfortable suburbia but lampooned its assumptions. The latter had a value that the former did not.

I think I'd want to draw a distinction there between the likes of Terry and June that were set in comfortable suburbia and carried with them a bunch of comfortable suburban assumptions and something like Reggie Perrin, which was set in exactly the same comfortable suburbia but lampooned its assumptions. The latter had a value that the former did not.
terry and june not based on a series of books written by a cambridge graduate afaik

Reactions: tim
Or perhaps any of the programmes or comedy made by the 162 people listed on wikipedia from the Cambridge footlights crew.

The Footlights get the attention, but I think the cooperative "Associated London Scripts" had much more influence on what people actually watched on TV. It brought together encouraged and promoted writers such as Eric Sykes; Galton and Simpson, John Antrobus; Spike Milligan; Johnny Speight. Most of whom came from working class and lower-middle-class backgrounds. I also think organisations like Joan Littlewood's Theatre Workshop helped promote both popular working-class theatre drama and working-class actors strongly influenced British TV in the 60s sixties. The Theatre Workshop gave us: Barbara Windsor, Stephen Lewis, Yootha Joyce, Glynn Edwards (bar owner in Minder) Harry H. Corbett; and Nigel Hawthorne as the token middle-class luvvie.

If anything TV is more middle-class now than it was then. I, of course, am too snobby to actually watch television these days so that statement is probably nonesense.

Last edited:
There was a programme (prob 30;years ago) that asked whether life imitated art or vice versa with regard to cop shows. They interviewed several ex flying squad detectives who said that, after watching The Sweeney they would be sitting in plain clothes on a stake out, bottle of Johnnie Walker in the glove box and baseball bats in the boot…

There was a programme (prob 30;years ago) that asked whether life imitated art or vice versa with regard to cop shows. They interviewed several ex flying squad detectives who said that, after watching The Sweeney they would be sitting in plain clothes on a stake out, bottle of Johnnie Walker in the glove box and baseball bats in the boot…
How saddening - not cricket bats......

The Footlights get the attention, but I think the cooperative "Associated London Scripts" had much more influence on what people actually watched on TV. It brought together encouraged and promoted writers such as Eric Sykes; Galton and Simpson, John Antrobus; Spike Milligan; Johnny Speight. Most of whom came from working class and lower-middle-class backgrounds. I also think organisations like Joan Littlewood's Theatre Workshop helped promote both popular working-class theatre drama and working-class actors strongly influenced British TV in the 60s sixties. The Theatre Workshop gave us: Barbara Windsor, Stephen Lewis, Yootha Joyce, Glynn Edwards (bar owner in Minder) Harry H. Corbett; and Nigel Hawthorne as the token middle-class luvvie.

If anything TV is more middle-class now than it was then. I, of course, am too snobby to actually watch television these days so that statement is probably nonesense.
There is an excellent book on those days by Graham McCann entitled - Spike & Co..
I knew John Antrobus son - am godfather to their daughter .....

Waterman's first big role was in "Just William", I couldn't find a clip from that, but this is from an early interview

And this is a Children's Film Foundation, very Saturday morning cinema, film that he starred in.

Love the film (I did fast forward some of it) great stuff, they don't make them like that anymore!
A few old faces I recognised there....Steptoe :D

Actually I think it's unfair to judge celebrities on an one-off encounter unless they are really vile...

Was just coming on here to say.

I loved Minder and Sweenie. Gonna have to find them. somewhere.
My uncle looked a bit like Terry McCann in his younger years...
Teacher once told us she didn't like Waterman as she'd witnessed him being a drunken arsehole in a hotel she was staying at.

Anyway, RIP Dennis Waterman.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom