Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Repair or replace ageing car?

If you ever drive into London at weekdays you'd be better off with a newer car from the Autumn, what with the new £21 daily fee for older cars and all
Financially yes, but 'assertive' driving in London is so much easier in a banger

To be honest, I'd been considering the options again

Mum-tat (who is of mature years) has been finding it gradually more difficult to get in and out of puddymobile without a degree of bad language

as T & P says, I'm aware of the change in policy towards diesel cars in the last year or two (think the general idea 20 years ago was that a bit of soot was less harmful than the invisble crap that petrol engines put out)

I have still not done a journey that involved the London congestion charge (I currently live in Berkshire and commute by train to work in SW London and frankly sod the idea of driving through central london on weekday daytimes) but aware that the zone will probably expand (mum-tat lives a couple of streets outside the south circular in SE London, which is proposed as the 2019 boundary, but many of her local shops are just inside, as is her local hospital and doctors and so on - i don't often need to transport her but it will only get more likely)

i'd been contemplating whether it was worth getting to the point of starting seeing it more as a restoration project, or whether i had the time and inclination.

Mum-tat (who is of mature years) has been finding it gradually more difficult to get in and out of puddymobile without a degree of bad language

as T & P says, I'm aware of the change in policy towards diesel cars in the last year or two (think the general idea 20 years ago was that a bit of soot was less harmful than the invisble crap that petrol engines put out)

I have still not done a journey that involved the London congestion charge (I currently live in Berkshire and commute by train to work in SW London and frankly sod the idea of driving through central london on weekday daytimes) but aware that the zone will probably expand (mum-tat lives a couple of streets outside the south circular in SE London, which is proposed as the 2019 boundary, but many of her local shops are just inside, as is her local hospital and doctors and so on - i don't often need to transport her but it will only get more likely)

i'd been contemplating whether it was worth getting to the point of starting seeing it more as a restoration project, or whether i had the time and inclination.
I am not aware of the CC boundary being considered for expansion. Is this a Khan initiative?

I'm not sure it'd ever happen, but then like you I've seldom had the need to drive into central London during charging times, so it would not feature high on my list of considerations.

Having said that, I do think new charges on diesel cars are likely in the future, so if your car is diesel you might want to consider how much longer you might want to spend money keeping it roadworthy.

Perhaps a sensible option would be to get a mid-life Japanese petrol car. They really do tend to be the most reliable (though of course it does not guarantee the car you end up buying won't be a dog- reliable car history would be a must there IMO), so the likes of a 6-8 year old Honda Jazz could be cheap to buy and run, and serve you well for a decade plus.

I am not aware of the CC boundary being considered for expansion. Is this a Khan initiative?

I'm not sure it'd ever happen, but then like you I've seldom had the need to drive into central London during charging times, so it would not feature high on my list of considerations.

Having said that, I do think new charges on diesel cars are likely in the future, so if your car is diesel you might want to consider how much longer you might want to spend money keeping it roadworthy.

Perhaps a sensible option would be to get a mid-life Japanese petrol car. They really do tend to be the most reliable (though of course it does not guarantee the car you end up buying won't be a dog- reliable car history would be a must there IMO), so the likes of a 6-8 year old Honda Jazz could be cheap to buy and run, and serve you well for a decade plus.
Check the MOT history of a vehicle - GOV.UK for dog free purchase confidence

Unfortunately is seems to be more than a change of attitude towards diesel and more that they (whoever they may be) have realised that diesel is more damaging to the environment that than they originally thought.

In terms of Mum-tat, I hate 4x4s but completely understand why my dad now has one.
He's knees are shot and he has struggled getting in and out of normal cars for years now. He just wanted a higher up vehicle.
And unfortunately the only vehicle he can without pain at the moment is a 4x4 :(
But I know that most 4x4 users are probably cunts :D

Sorry to learn of the puddymobiles demises, thats a great shame :(
As someone mentioned, it might be better to have a less precious car in a big town as it is prone to knocks and scrapes.
I think the cars that Kitty refers to are not necessarily 4x4s but compact SUV's as per the Nissan Juke, Fiat 500x or L and the like, which may help take the stigma off. Unfortunately, we are contemplating such a thing later in the year because of elderly parents.

Sorry to learn of the puddymobiles demises, thats a great shame :(
As someone mentioned, it might be better to have a less precious car in a big town as it is prone to knocks and scrapes.
I think the cars that Kitty refers to are not necessarily 4x4s but compact SUV's as per the Nissan Juke, Fiat 500x or L and the like, which may help take the stigma off. Unfortunately, we are contemplating such a thing later in the year because of elderly parents.
Also the older Nissan Note (2006-2013 model) is fairly upright and easy for getting in/out of. Quite popular with the motability market and large numbers of used autoboxes available because of that. Shares the same platform as the Juke, but without the oddball styling (which actually gives it more interior space, despite being a smaller car) and more built to a price.

If you don't do a lot of mileage, do bear in mind that modern diesels and all their emissions control works are not as bulletproof as the old smoke-belchers were.

My F I L recently got a 2015 Juke, complete with CVT. The damn thing has now been back with Nissan for three weeks as the CVT has broked!

Sorry to hear about this. Rather than a 4x4 how about an olderVauxhall Zafira or one of the clones?

Back
Top Bottom