Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Repair or replace ageing car?

Puddy_Tat

naturally fluffy
I am having a fit of indecision.

The current puddymobile is a 23 year old Peugeot 205, which I've had for 20 years.

Currently it's got about 196,000 miles on the clock (although it's done a thousand or so more than that), never had a new clutch and it's about 7 years since it had a new radiator.

The sump is pretty much shagged and it's started leaking oil, and there's also a lesser leak from the crankshaft seal.

Garage have suggested about £ 550 to deal with all this - this will include replacing the timing belt (you need to take the timing belt off to get at the crankshaft seal, and since the timing belt is due to be replaced later this year, may as well do it now, so could argue that a chunk of this price is what i'd have paid later in the year anyway)

Part of me thinks it's time to say enough is enough.

Part of me thinks it's worth keeping it going for another year or two rather than have the hassle of changing cars and outlay (now i'm back in regular work, i could go up to about 2 grand for a replacement but would rather not) for a car that may be trouble in a year or so. I'm reluctant to do the 'disposable car for a few hundred quid' thing.

I don't do a lot of mileage these days, but not quite little enough as to give up running a car - there's a few occasions a year when I'm away to places where going by train isn't practical and the amount of stuff I need to take is more than I could carry. (although aware that hiring is an option as I had to do for Easter)

There isn't much of a car club scheme out here (there's one car club vehicle in Wokingham borough, as far as I can establish)

I'm aware that ageing diesels aren't all that environmentally friendly - the message when I got it was that diesel was better than the invisible crap that petrol engines churn out. Having said that, I rarely do any peak hour, inner city, driving.

Any bright ideas?

Less than 200k is not much for a diesel and I'd be tempted by the devil you know rather than take a punt on something else.Bit of a tricky calculation.Sump leak should be easy to solve while they are doing the other work.Good luck.

I had a Rover 218SLD Turbo which had a Peugeot diesel engine, it also had an oil leak but various mechanics told me it was not significant enough to worry about. It did spoil the tarmac where I usually parked it with drips though. Engine was game to the end though despite the leak. That said, it was much lower mileage than yours.

While the mileage may not worry the engine so much, the running gear has also done nearly 200k miles so you might expect ball joints or something at MOT time. How much does it usually cost to get through MOTs?

£550 for a new rad, clutch and belt

sorry - think i may not have been quite clear.

the quote is to replace the sump, crankshaft seal and timing belt.

there's no problem at the moment with the radiator or clutch - just have this thought that if I get the current work done, there's a chance one or other is going to go...

How much does it usually cost to get through MOTs?

autumn 2015 - no repairs needed

autumn 2014 - needed new exhaust and a bit of welding round the front suspension top

autumn 2013 - needed new ball joint rubber

I wouldn't worry about the clutch, if you have done that mileage on one clutch you have done very well. They don't last forever usually, my Rover had two clutches while I had it.

Unless you can replace it with something of equally known provenance (and to some extent this is made easier by public MOT histories) then keep the 205. That's probably the right thing to do financially.

Then again, get rid if you expect to ever crash it, or if you want a newer car.

What condition is it in generally? If it's not bad, it might have started to appreciate about now.

A mate of mine, who's into his cars, is of the opinion that as long as the body work is fine with no bad structural rust then to keep a car going mechanically as things wear out is the way to go

To have "only" had 4 problems in 20 years with a car is, in my very humble opinion, little short of a miracle. I've had brand new or still in makers warranty new or stupid low mileage cars and bikes that I've had problems with, serious problems. But I've also had really old cars that I've had to keep going myself and, touch wood, apart from a fuel pump failure (down to wear and tear) I've always got home

Agree with what's been said, repairs aren't that much really considering, and you don't drive that much so i would keep going.

All vehicles need money spending on them so worth keeping on I think.

Pay the 50 for an MOT now. That will ensure no surprise bills in a few months. Get the cambelt done, leave the oil leaks. Having oil leaks is good rust proofing and as long as you keep the sump topped up, great at keeping oil fresh.

Puddy_Tat to keep a car going that long and relatively trouble free you must be a very good, careful and considerate driver; the Institute of Advanced Motorists would be well proud of you :thumbs:

thanks - although in part it's that i have never done much peak hour driving in congested areas

Having oil leaks is good rust proofing and as long as you keep the sump topped up, great at keeping oil fresh.

hmm. until the bottom of the sump falls out...

Keep it and fix it up
Ain't a new car that is as nice as a Pug205, even a battered well-loved one.

You could drain the sump, and replace the pan and gasket (and flush the system/replace the oil) yourself for about £150. It's really simple, as long as you have the tools, and remember to drain the sump before starting to pop the bolts, not after. :D

You could drain the sump, and replace the pan and gasket (and flush the system/replace the oil) yourself for about £150. It's really simple, as long as you have the tools, and remember to drain the sump before starting to pop the bolts, not after. :D

I haven't really got the tools or the facilities (shared car park for flats) and the lease says we're not really supposed to do that sort of thing here...

so post one :)

puddymobile.jpg

(the registration number shown may be more photoshop than DVLA...)

I am having a fit of indecision.

The current puddymobile is a 23 year old Peugeot 205, which I've had for 20 years.

Currently it's got about 196,000 miles on the clock (although it's done a thousand or so more than that), never had a new clutch and it's about 7 years since it had a new radiator.

The sump is pretty much shagged and it's started leaking oil, and there's also a lesser leak from the crankshaft seal.

Garage have suggested about £ 550 to deal with all this - this will include replacing the timing belt (you need to take the timing belt off to get at the crankshaft seal, and since the timing belt is due to be replaced later this year, may as well do it now, so could argue that a chunk of this price is what i'd have paid later in the year anyway)

Part of me thinks it's time to say enough is enough.

Part of me thinks it's worth keeping it going for another year or two rather than have the hassle of changing cars and outlay (now i'm back in regular work, i could go up to about 2 grand for a replacement but would rather not) for a car that may be trouble in a year or so. I'm reluctant to do the 'disposable car for a few hundred quid' thing.

I don't do a lot of mileage these days, but not quite little enough as to give up running a car - there's a few occasions a year when I'm away to places where going by train isn't practical and the amount of stuff I need to take is more than I could carry. (although aware that hiring is an option as I had to do for Easter)

There isn't much of a car club scheme out here (there's one car club vehicle in Wokingham borough, as far as I can establish)

I'm aware that ageing diesels aren't all that environmentally friendly - the message when I got it was that diesel was better than the invisible crap that petrol engines churn out. Having said that, I rarely do any peak hour, inner city, driving.

Any bright ideas?

Hmm £500 get the repairs done and send £2k on another car repair and SORN the Peugeot {if you have the room to store it} and if the other car turns out to be a bag of nails at least you will have something you know to fall back on

Last edited:
A year on, and the decision's been taken for me.

Puddymobile was stolen a couple of weeks ago (was in the hands of the OB before I knew it had gone - I can't see the car park here even with the curtains open) and the insurance company say it's a write-off (window broken, steering column surround / steering lock comprehensively buggered and boot lock buggered before the twunts realised they could see what was in the back by folding the back seat down from inside).

and a few more minor dents and scrapes and unknown wear to tyres / clutch / suspension and so on.

If I had a secure garage I'd have been inclined not to claim and repaired it when i felt like it, but then if i had a secure garage it wouldn't have got nicked in the first place.

and didn't quite get to 200,000 miles or 25 years...

bollocks.

:( rip puddymobile

fair game to you sir been driving 3 years and onto the 3 car..

one of them almost twatting myself in a 12 year old 306...

Last edited:
If you ever drive into London at weekdays you'd be better off with a newer car from the Autumn, what with the new £21 daily fee for older cars and all

Back
Top Bottom