Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Regional anti-cuts organising

check yr pm's froggy, I don't know of a strike fund, publicising it just let people know via facebook/twitter etc and at any meetings where it's relevant bringing it up I guess.
No idea about a strike fund to be honest. I'm pretty useless at this union stuff really :) .. I'll find out on monday though. As Belboid said, there are 4 unions involved so not sure what would be happening with any donations (plus GMB, Unite and Unison are huge so I'd kind of hope they could fund it out of their members standing donations, no idea about UCATT though).. I have no experience with trade union actions though so I really don't know how they work.

Birmingham Connexxions workers have a half day strike & rally 6th January - pickets outside offices in Northfield and Broad Street from 12:30, and a rally at council Square (I presume they mean Victoria Square) 2:30pm. It's a thursday so I can't make it.

Stuff in January in Birmingham:

6th - Connexions half day strike and rally - 12:30 Northfield and Broad St. offices, 2:30 rally at Victoria Square
10th - Birmingham Against the Cuts meeting - Unison offices but time not decided yet, will edit and repost when it is (e2a: this is an organising meeting not a public meeting with speakers, but all are welcome to attend)
11th - Save EMA, rally/march in city centre 4pm. Hopefully some school walk outs but not sure that will happen facebook event
15th - UKUncut action, meet 12noon waterstones/bullring http://www.ukuncut.org.uk/actions/180
18th - CROSSBrum public meeting - Campaign to Retain Our School Services meeting 7pm Council House
29th - CWU rally/march 11:30am Victoria Square (which clashes with the student demo in London, not sure where I'll go yet)

Energy, food, metals and industrial input commodity prices are all going stratospheric, in a pre-2008 global recession kind of way. Wonder what could be causing that? And what might happen next? Another recession would mean that growth is now over, permanently. If growth is now over, we are insolvent. If we are insolvent, we can't sustain ANY public services, much less reduced ones.

Folks - organising anti-cuts protests is like organising anti-tides protests. Great fun, but pointless. How about you conserve your energy, and devote any surplus to something constructive like organising the system that will be necessary to replace the current broken one?

Link: commodity prices

Like the cut of your jib.

10th - Birmingham Against the Cuts meeting - Unison offices but time not decided yet, will edit and repost when it is

This bugs me. They need to have meetings at the weekend so all the parents who want to can attend - not everyone can just leave their child with someone. I'm happy to do a creche if we can get a few volunteers to take turns.

Thanks for posting that though BigTom

This bugs me. They need to have meetings at the weekend so all the parents who want to can attend - not everyone can just leave their child with someone. I'm happy to do a creche if we can get a few volunteers to take turns.

Thanks for posting that though BigTom

I would have thought that when they have a public meeting with speakers and the like, that they'll do that on a weekend, but I agree with you. I also think the creche is a good idea, I know that Dylans has expressed something similar, and I'm sure there must be other parents who would be up for taking turns in doing a creche to allow more parents to get to meetings and things.
I will ask for an agenda item on a creche and informally ask about why/whether the organising meetings need to happen on a weekday (at least their last one was in the evening -the first one they did during the day, ensuring that no-one who works could get there, and it started at 3 iirc. so parents couldn't make it either!).

I'm very much hoping that having moved from the council house to Unison offices that the offices will be able to be open late into the evening and this move doesn't make the meeting happen during the day. They had to get out of the council house but it still needs to be fully accessible.

I would have thought that when they have a public meeting with speakers and the like, that they'll do that on a weekend, but I agree with you. I also think the creche is a good idea, I know that Dylans has expressed something similar, and I'm sure there must be other parents who would be up for taking turns in doing a creche to allow more parents to get to meetings and things.
I will ask for an agenda item on a creche and informally ask about why/whether the organising meetings need to happen on a weekday (at least their last one was in the evening -the first one they did during the day, ensuring that no-one who works could get there, and it started at 3 iirc. so parents couldn't make it either!).

I'm very much hoping that having moved from the council house to Unison offices that the offices will be able to be open late into the evening and this move doesn't make the meeting happen during the day. They had to get out of the council house but it still needs to be fully accessible.

I think it's just the norm that political meetings happen in the week and if you're a political couple you take turns, if possible, to go to meetings. If you're a single parent it's more difficult , I know the SWP used to babysit - I did this a couple of times - but not everyone's happy with people they don't know very well doing that, and some young children need their mums, some aren't even happy with dad at bedtime, that's just the way some young children are. I would never suggest that branch meetings should take place at a weekend, but when we're talking about trying to build a mass movement, we need to be thinking bigger and be making it accessible now.

The next birmingham against the cuts organising meeting will be 10th Jan, 7pm at Unison Office, 19th Floor McClaren Building 46 Priory Queensway..

Also, I know this is regional organising but the Connexions strike was called off today as the council agreed to suspend the threat of compulsory redundancies pending further negotiations, scheduled to take place over the next 28 days, which is good - we'll have to wait and see what the outcome of the negotiations are obviously.

A personal new year message from the general secretary

Many members are understandably concerned and fearful.

As we enter 2011 members face unprecedented threats. Jobs will be lost across government and the NHS, services delivered in different ways and work restructured. Public servants are subject to ever increasing personal scrutiny and accountability. All members face a pay freeze and pressure to cut many existing employment terms, including future pension arrangements. Moreover, there may be considerable political turbulence before the next General Election.

These problems would have faced us whatever the outcome of the 2010 General Election. Few economists disagree that public expenditure had to be cut, even though there are significant arguments about precise scale and timing.

During the past decade more money than ever before was spent on public services, and the Labour Government created an additional 950,000 new public sector jobs in addition to about six million existing in 1997. However, much of the tax revenue which funded that public service expansion emanated from a Faustian pact which the Labour Government entered into with the banks, reducing regulation to the lightest of touches and encouraging extraordinarily reckless - if temporarily highly profitable - behaviour.

When the bubble inevitably burst, the entire country was left to pick up the pieces, and we now face the most severe cuts since those imposed by the Labour Government in 1976-79.

But we should not lose perspective. The Coalition Government is seeking to cut perhaps 400,000 of those extra 950,000 public sector jobs by 2015. This will be very painful, and put great stress not only on individuals but also organisations as they seek to cope and readjust to reductions in staff and budgets. Managers, in particular, face the stress not only of personal concerns about their own job security and reduced conditions, but also of managing and motivating their staff to continue to deliver high-quality services.

However, most of the services provided by our members will continue and most FDA members who wish to be will still be in a post in 2015.

A significant risk for the civil service stems not so much from the reduction itself in staffing numbers, but rather that the Coalition Government still appears to lack a coherent 'overarching narrative' which, coupled with the desire of Ministers to make changes with alacrity, may result in departments making too many ad-hoc, hasty and ill-considered decisions about organisational and complex policy questions. This can only damage the reputation of the civil service and create further uncertainties for members.

And controversy continues to rage about the latest 'reforms' facing the NHS which, coupled with the financial squeeze, will compound the stresses caused by the constant re-organisations suffered under the last Government.

This will be a testing time for trade unions. There is already noisy posturing from the Planet Zog, as Shadow Chancellor (and ex-union general secretary) Alan Johnson MP memorably described the union twilight zone where fundamentalist political ideology smothers hard-headed analysis of members' interests. There are some people who argue that there are simple solutions to these difficult problems. That if only the union said 'no' then our problems would disappear. They will not. The only solution is to engage with politicians and employers, and negotiate constructively, but with a steel edge.

Throughout my 14 years as General Secretary members have, as a last resort, been balloted for industrial action when negotiations broke down. Those votes have been enough to ultimately deliver agreements, most notably on pensions. Our influence and standing comes from employers knowing that the FDA wants to negotiate to reach agreement to protect members, not simply posture. This is what makes the FDA a considered, strong and effective union, one that is readily listened to and respected.

We will continue to engage through building coalitions with other unions wherever necessary and possible, and also with other organisations representing senior public sector managers and professionals, taking our arguments to employers, politicians, the media and the wider public. What we will not do, despite our relatively small size in comparison, is allow ourselves to be bullied, intimidated or undermined by other unions who choose to use different tactics.

We have a core message: the UK civil service is respected worldwide for its professionalism and impartiality, and has been able to attract the best through being a good employer, offering a fair total reward deal. Civil servants have already paid a price through a pay freeze, changes to the Compensation Scheme and job losses. And similar costs have been incurred by NHS members. We want genuine, meaningful negotiations about change and a fair deal for the future - a deal which is fair for our members whilst being fair to the Exchequer and the UK's taxpayers.

There is an obligation on the Government to provide that 'overarching narrative', and to explain to civil servants and our NHS members what the 'deal' will be by 2015 to motivate, recruit and retain. If the Government gets this wrong, then not only will our members react angrily, but the Government risks damaging the civil service and NHS for years to come.

The FDA, as a small union, has limited resources. We have a dedicated and professional staff, but much of our work is undertaken by members themselves and elected volunteers. The Executive Committee is looking at all of these issues facing members and has already suggested ways in which members can add their voices to those of the FDA as an organisation. In the coming weeks and months the Executive Committee will be asking members and volunteers to play a greater part in all of our work, both within the civil service and NHS, and also in the public sphere.

There is no question that 2010 was both hectic and difficult, and the coming year looks likely to be even more challenging. None the less, without being complacent, I believe that the FDA is well prepared, that members have confidence in the union, and that we can bring to bear all of the experience amongst the staff, around the Executive Committee, and amongst our membership as a whole in protecting - and hopefully enhancing - the interests of civil servants and NHS staff in 2011.

Jonathan Baume
FDA General Secretary

Picked this up off the wires from the FDA Union of senior civil servants & NHS senior managers.

Lewisham Anti Cuts Carnival Sat 19th Feb

Just got this in an email -

Saturday 19 February a huge day of Auction will take place across Lewisham, Almost 100 Union , Residents Groups, Pensioners and Student Groups , The save our Library Campaigns and others have come together to highlight the massive cuts faced by Lewisham Residents.
Every Venue in the Borough facing the Cuts will have a small demo outside from 11am, to be followed by a Huge Carnival March with Bands, Puppets and more to encourage everyone young and old to take part, residents will take Pots and Pans and make as much noise as they can at 11am, giving every resident a chance to express disgust at the level of these cuts, remember in Lewisham Labour have wasted Millions and spend almost £7 million a year on Consultants.
Convoy wharf will see a huge demo as part of the Day of auction with a huge number of Community Groups who have been attending the planning meetings hold a huge day of auction to raise awareness before the next planning meeting, which unless we protest loudly, will get the go ahead and 444 storey Blocks will blight our water line..and cause 12 years of misery to local residents with no community gain, in fact the huge scale will see Evelyn street turned into a giant Car Park, on a site which is Landlocked with river one side and very small Access from Grove street.. It may look pretty in the pictures, but these proposals are not about being a great place to live, but about making lots of money.., a small number of Boats will link Convoy wharf to Canary wharf with Banners, The walls of the site will be turned into a giant notice board for people and Children to paint what they would like to see on the site, and for all residents to plaster reasons for objections, Live music, Face painting will help with the Carnival feel for the Day, with Every open if possible joining the Main Demo from Lewisham Town Hall at 1pm.

Birmingham - Wed 12th January,West Midlands Right To Work - Support the Birmingham Refuse Workers
Protest: Wednesday 12th January, 5:30pm
Front of Council House,
Victoria Square.

Solidarity with Birmingham refuse workers who had a one day strike on Dec. 20th and are currently working to rule with 2 more strike dates announced on 13th and 14th January.. Strike is over a pay cut of up to £4,000 - iirc they (or maybe just GMB) got a 93% yes vote on strike action.. binbags are piling up on the street - we've not had ours collected for getting on for a month now, and the strike days next week fall on our normal collection day so it'll be at least another week.

Just got this in an email -

Saturday 19 February a huge day of Auction will take place across Lewisham, Almost 100 Union , Residents Groups, Pensioners and Student Groups , The save our Library Campaigns and others have come together to highlight the massive cuts faced by Lewisham Residents.
Every Venue in the Borough facing the Cuts will have a small demo outside from 11am, to be followed by a Huge Carnival March with Bands, Puppets and more to encourage everyone young and old to take part, residents will take Pots and Pans and make as much noise as they can at 11am, giving every resident a chance to express disgust at the level of these cuts, remember in Lewisham Labour have wasted Millions and spend almost £7 million a year on Consultants.
Convoy wharf will see a huge demo as part of the Day of auction with a huge number of Community Groups who have been attending the planning meetings hold a huge day of auction to raise awareness before the next planning meeting, which unless we protest loudly, will get the go ahead and 444 storey Blocks will blight our water line..and cause 12 years of misery to local residents with no community gain, in fact the huge scale will see Evelyn street turned into a giant Car Park, on a site which is Landlocked with river one side and very small Access from Grove street.. It may look pretty in the pictures, but these proposals are not about being a great place to live, but about making lots of money.., a small number of Boats will link Convoy wharf to Canary wharf with Banners, The walls of the site will be turned into a giant notice board for people and Children to paint what they would like to see on the site, and for all residents to plaster reasons for objections, Live music, Face painting will help with the Carnival feel for the Day, with Every open if possible joining the Main Demo from Lewisham Town Hall at 1pm.

Looks good - no info up on the laca website yet though :confused:

News from BATC meeting tonight - better meeting than last time, that was mostly taken up with arranging stuff for a big demo on Feb 26th in Brum - council meets on 1st March to set the budget.

So this is advance notice of a demo/rally/march in brum on Sat. 26th Feb - details are to be decided, but basically your standard Brum thing - start at Chamberlain sq., march round the city centre and back to Victoria Sq. for a rally with speakers.. will have to see about anything more interesting happening alongside that..
Going to be a public meeting (with speakers etc.) on either 10th or 17th Feb to build for the demo, plus leafletting/stalls through Feb. in both City Centre and local areas - anyone in Brum who would be up for helping, esp. with the local stuff should let me know.

Meeting also talked about binmen strike and supporting them - Right to Work have a solidarity demo at the council house and have asked people to bring along some bin bags to leave outside the council house :) and talk of taking non-violent direct action to stop/slow down the casual worker crews from doing their collections on the weekends..

Bit of discussion about the TUC demo in March and transport and making sure all the unions link up wrt transport and that there is provision for non-union members as well (eg: service user groups, immigrants, unemployed, family/friends of union members) to be on coaches/trains.

When: Tuesday 11 January 2011, 5:00pm
Where: Courtfields School, Mantle Street, Wellington, Somerset TA21 8SW

On the 15th December 2010, Somerset County Council announced proposals that would result in the closure of 20 public libraries across the county. According to the plans:

* The public library service in Somerset will face budget cuts of 25%.
* 20 libraries will have funding removed – more than half of the current number.
* The fleet of mobile libraries will be reduced from 6 to 2.
* Remaining libraries will have opening hours reduced.

Somerset County Council have announced a consultation period in order to allow communities around the county to respond to the plans. This is our opportunity to have our say.

When: Monday 7 February 2011, 12:00pm
Where: Queens Square, Bristol bs1

Join us in a demonstration outside the South-West offices of the Legal Services Commission on Monday 7th February at Queens Square from 12 noon. Visit advicewest.org.uk or call 0117 929 2153 for more information.

Notts SOS conference
Saturday, 15th. January
Old Lenton Community Centre

The anti-public spending cuts campaign, Notts Save Our Services, is holding a one day event on Saturday, 15th. January at Dunkirk and Old Lenton Community Centre. We are bringing together a wide range of providers and users of vital services. The aim is to develop effective, challenging ways of opposing and obstructing the Coalition Government’s assault upon both the public and voluntary sectors.

Brainstorming groups will focus on areas such as local government, education, benefits/pensions, health services, military spending, etc.. The conference runs from 10.30 to 16.00 with food and refreshments available. All opponents of the public spending cuts are welcome and further details are available on our website http://nottssos.org.uk.

fuel protests are looking likely next month, Fb pages full of discussion, etc, bit of a quandary for many activists I imagine

Is there gonna be a demo when the council sets the budget on 1st March?

I hope so, but it won't be driven by birmingham against the cuts - nothing was mentioned at the last meeting about doing anything anyway, the next meeting is on the 24th and I'll raise it then.
Unfortunately it's a weekday and I think the council session runs from 2pm-5pm, so I'll only be able to join anything after school..
Actually, someone did talk about getting into the public gallery and doing a banner drop but that you get searched and the chances of taking anything larger than a hanky is small.

Reminder - today:

11th - Save EMA, rally/march in city centre 4pm.

This was in Birmingham, although there were quite a few Save EMA demos around the country today (but mostly they started earlier afaik) - Notts and Brum were both on ITV Central news - http://www.itv.com/central-west/student-protests54164/ I've got no idea how other places got on, Leeds had a couple of people tweeting from it and it sounded lively.

Actually, someone did talk about getting into the public gallery and doing a banner drop but that you get searched and the chances of taking anything larger than a hanky is small.

White T-shirts and marker pen?

Back
Top Bottom