Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Refugee crisis. Something on the scale of the Marshall plan required?

This is just disgusting and it looks like it may well actually happen:

Cruel and desperately, desperately stupid.

Giving Kagame money and legitimacy. The Israelis did something similar with Rwanda which led to many asylum seekers leaving via Uganda and heading off again on the perilous Saharan route.

After all the hypocritical hand-wringing about Ukrainian refugees these cunts are on auto-pilot.

I hope that, diplomatically, other countries recognise that the UK is now a moral cess-pit.

I slept in this morning, woke up and read this. I'm shaking with fury.

Rwanda?

wtf

[1] No one is more generous than the UK to those fleeing persecution.

If you are Ukranian and manage to jump through all the hoops in the Visa application you can come in, but if you are fleeing from another atrocity and make an illegal entry to the UK then you go to Rwanda?

[1] something i think I recall Jonson saying only quite recently.

We are moving the emotion of our world around, just go with the flow & help as if you needed the that help.

We are on a journey
It's a glimpse of amazing
Don't get dizzy

Get Fizzy 🥳

Review of a new book by journalist Sally Hayden (if you are interested in this she is worth a follow on Twitter):

The Russian invasion of Ukraine has displaced around 6 million people, yet one silver lining is that refugee-hosting European Union countries have been, by many accounts, “extraordinarily welcoming” to these refugees.

Instead of being indefinitely detained in inhumane detention centers, many of these Ukrainian refugees, who are mostly white Christians, have been able to stay with host families in Europe or hotels and dormitories free of charge.

Even nationalist governments like Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s regime have been willing to take in Ukrainian refugees—despite the prime minister saying as recently as December 2021 that “we will not do anything to change the way the border is protected. We won’t change it, and we aren’t going to let anyone in.”

Orban, who has become a hero to the American right and embodies a certain illiberal style of “strongman” leadership, has previously peddled the claim that mass migration poses an existential threat to his country and has caged and starved refugees.

Polish Interior Minister Mariusz Kaminski was also quick to show his solidarity with Ukrainian refuges, announcing in February that “anyone fleeing from bombs, from Russian rifles, can count on the support of the Polish state,” despite his government having spent hundreds of millions of euros on building a 115-mile border wall to deter Middle Eastern asylum-seekers from entering the country from Belarus a few months earlier.

The contrast between the treatment of Ukrainian refugees and those from African and Middle Eastern countries is stark—one group has been warmly embraced while another has been rebuffed—sometimes at the same time and fleeing across the same border.

Amazing how quickly this moribund administration can act so selflessly when it comes to protecting vulnerable people from ruthless exploiters

I saw this the other day, forgot about it then remembered and then was reminded again today. Absolutely horrific, and indeed complete silence in the major media outlets both in the UK and abroad:

I saw this the other day, forgot about it then remembered and then was reminded again today. Absolutely horrific, and indeed complete silence in the major media outlets both in the UK and abroad:

Christ, this is so sick. Fuck fortress Europe.

Potentially up to 500 people dead in this tragedy. Partly the Greek coast guards fault from the looks of it. Nine Egyptian people smugglers have been arrested. Conditions on board sound indescribably awful. It was at sea for three days before it sank.

If you read the article it seems to be mainly the fault of the Greek coastguard, and they have form for engaging in illegal 'pushbacks'.

If you read the article it seems to be mainly the fault of the Greek coastguard, and they have form for engaging in illegal 'pushbacks'.
I'd hesitate to use the word "mainly" despite the history of illegal pushbacks, having read about the way the ship crew treated passengers

Report of survivors saying the boat sank after being towed. I've no idea if this is accurate.
The point is that there are allegations that the Greek Coast Guard pulled this boat towards Italian waters - that they pushed it, so to speak. So far we had only heard this accusation, but last night my colleague, who speaks Arabic, managed to speak to about ten surviving refugees. They have independently reported that this boat was actually towed - not just once, not just twice, but a total of three times. And then the ship rocked and sank.

(translation in the video)

Last edited:
Also this thread:

I just came back from the Malakasa refugee center where 71 survivors of the #pylosshipwreck #Πυλος shipwreck are staying.Three survivors confirmed that the Greek Coast Guard tied a rope to their boat, pull them AND THEN the boat capsized. They told me after the boat capsized, the Coast Guards "took distance" from them and sailed away. They say they stayed what it felt like 2-3 hours on the water until they were rescued. This morning camp authorities didn't allow shipwreck survivors to go out of the fenced camp. "It feels like a prison" they told me. Camp authorities tried to prevent me from speaking to survivors, asking me to stay away of the fence.

I wonder how often stuff like this happens and there are just no survivors at all and we never even hear about it

Back
Top Bottom