Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend (preferably non-WWII/Nam) war films

Red Cliff is an awesome war movie. But make sure you get the original and not edited two-parter. Don't understand why they allowed the edited version - killed the story imo.

shit film tho

I wouldn't go quite that far - it's not really my cup of tea, and the mawkish Titanic-teefed emotional bookends do grate, but there's plenty of interest in there. And the best hand-separating-from-arm scene I've seen in a war movie.

If we are going 39-45 now them The Eagle Has Landed must be shown.

Steady on, teach! The auld fella has had a ruler across his knuckles, no need for you to set a bad example too.

But yes - one-eyed Duvall, Caine doing his serious film Diana head-lean, Sutherland a wonky toothed sex agent, honourable Germans, JR fucking up, the Channel Island cruises - almost too much good stuff to cram into one film.

If we are going 39-45 now them The Eagle Has Landed must be shown.

Incidentally, this is one of the least convincing film-to-toy conversions I've seen:

70228%20Steiner.jpg

From Packrat Toyz

second recc for Hamburger Hill. It is probably the second best 'nam film from a US perspective

You need to see more films then, methinks. It's not bad, but it's hardly great.

The fight-for-hill-with-no-value film has been done before (Korean War flick Pork Chop Hill springs to mind), as has the bonding-of-the-unit film, the FNG film, the war-is-hell film, the you-weren't-there film, etc.

VNW-wise, I think Go Tell The Spartans and The Boys In Company C are worth seeing (they each have their faults, not least the presence of Craig Wasson).

Wow. Someone made toys from that film? Is there a saucy Jenny Agutter one?

Unfortunately she got in a cat fight with Barbara Bach from the Force 10 From Navarone De Luxe Action Figure Playset - plastic mouldings and nylon hair all over the walls, I'm telling you :eek:

Heartbreak Ridge... Sorry Did you mean, good films?

JC2 has already covered that particular base. And besides, I think that in terms of gung ho, misfits-bonded-by-service American films seasoned with a flag-waving fistful of USA!!! USA!!! go, this is a decent enough ninety minute diversion, up there with Noriega: God's Favorite in the historical-accuracy-be-damned stakes.

I've just remembered, recently I rented The Blockhouse, having come across it whilst browsing IMDb.

It's about a group of forced labourers in France who find shelter in an underground bunker during a bombardment at the beginning of Overlord; they get trapped there. It features Peter Sellers in a very straight role, as well as Peter Vaughan, Charles Azvanour, Alfred Lynch, Per Oscarssen and others. I believe it never actually received a full theatrical release, and that there is a longer director's cut which includes several entire scenes trimmed from this version.

Anyway, I'm about halfway through - it's rather downbeat - but am quite impressed with it. Not exactly a barrel of larfs, though. Possibly one for a 'subterranean war' season, along with Kanał and 1968 Tunnel Rats. Oh, wait - sorry, my automatic Uwe Boll filter wasn't switched on. I'll repeat that: Possibly one for a 'subterranean war' season, along with Kanał.

A few more I'm interested in seeing:
The Last Bridge
The Bridge
The Devil's General
Uomini Contro
Black And White In Colour

First three are WWII, last two are WWI.

Someone recommended The Bridge on here a few months back, so I picked it up from Lovefilm. Superb.

I see that there's a film about the Continuation War, based on a novel by the author who provided the source material for the excellent Winter War flick Talvisota - it's called Rukajärven Tie (AKA Ambush). Has anyone here seen it?

Zvezda - WW2 Russian unit behind enemy lines
Beast of War - Russian invasion of Afghanistan
All quiet on the Western Front (silent preferably) - WW1 German soldiers
9th Company - Another Afghan War story
Went the day well - Old b&w story about a German invasion
It happened here - Drama/doc, what if the Germans won WW2 and invaded.
Come & See - Brilliant Belarussian WW2 film
Army of Crime - WW2 French resistance
Army of Shadows - BRILLIANT WW2 French resistance
How sleep the brave - Vietnam
Hamburger Hill - Vietnam
Brotherhood - Korean War
Gettysburg/Gods and Generals - American Civil War
Rome: Open City - Last days of German occupation of Rome in WW2
Gallipoli - WW1 even Mel Gibson doesn't stop it being a great film.

Good call, top film.

Back
Top Bottom