Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend (preferably non-WWII/Nam) war films

Flandres - Bruno Dumont

Nothing to do with Flanders. An unamed war in an unamed place.

Indigènes - The forgotten French. See Wiki for more info.

Welcome To Dongmakgol

Brotherhood - Taegukgi Hwinalrimyeo

Flandres - Bruno Dumont

Nothing to do with Flanders. An unamed war in an unamed place.

Indigènes - The forgotten French. See Wiki for more info.

Welcome To Dongmakgol

Seen Tae Guk Gi, those others I shall have a dig around for them, thanks :)

[*]The Last Valley - imperfect but interesting film (directed by doorstop author James Clavell) about the Thirty Years War, with Michael Caine and Omar Sharif
[/LIST]

I loved that film.

Heartbreak Ridge is somewhat mainstream, but it's made enjoyable by Clint Eastwood's inimitable touch. :)

Come & See. Yeah, I know it's a WW2 film but is a must see if you haven't already.:)

I'm surprised O' Lynch didn't poke his head round the door to mention that one - perhaps you riled him into breaking cover elsewhere!

Mihai Viteazul.

Bless you.

Actually, that does look like one for the 'to watch' list, thanks :)

MihVit.jpg

Welcome To Dongmakgol

Great films.

How about Bang Rajan, some good battle scenes in that although giving the characters western names so western audiences would be able to connect with them was a bit of a silly idea

Mi Mejor Enemigo

"Two bands of rival soldiers discover they have more in common than they imagined in this dark comedy. Rodrigo Rojas (Nicolas Saavedra) is a private in the Chilean Army whose outfit is called into action when a border dispute flares up with Argentina. Rojas and his fellow soldiers -- including level-headed sergeant Ferrer (Erto Pantoja), hot-tempered Orozco (Victor Montero), and luckless Almonacid (Andreas Olea) -- are marching to the front when their compass proves faulty, and the men end up in Patagonia without any idea if they're on Chilean or Argentinean soil. As the Chileans set up base, they discover a small company of Argentinean soldiers are waiting in a trench less than a football field away, but suddenly neither side is sure just what to do, especially when they realize their uniforms are all but impossible to tell apart from a distance. A stray dog appears that passes notes between the two camps, and before long a wary conviviality grows between them, though they're still not certain if they should regard one another as friends or enemies. Directed by Alex Bowen, Mi Mejor Enemigo (aka My Best Enemy) was inspired by an actual border skirmish between Chile and Argentina in 1976"

:p

How about Bang Rajan, some good battle scenes in that although giving the characters western names so western audiences would be able to connect with them was a bit of a silly idea

Looks spiffing, a touch of the Seven Samurai by the sound of it, definitely on the list...

Mi Mejor Enemigo

...And this.

Southern Comfort.

No Nam, and that includes allegories :mad: ;)

JSA

Not really a war film but it's got soldiers in it so it counts.

Are you talking about this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Security_Area_(film)

So far the Korea-related films mentioned all sound far more promising than Behind Enemy Lines II: Axis Of Evil :hmm:

'Zulu Dawn' is better than 'Zulu' 'cause the good guys win.

I like the film 'Waterloo' but it is pretty much just a film of the battle with no other plot.

Looks spiffing, a touch of the Seven Samurai by the sound of it, definitely on the list...

It's great fun and has a pretty impressive buffalo :D

Are you talking about this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Security_Area_(film)

So far the Korea-related films mentioned all sound far more promising than Behind Enemy Lines II: Axis Of Evil :hmm:

Yes, Joint Security Area. The Koreans make loads of good films.

Memories of Murder is a good one although it's not a war one. There's lots of them. Do a search on Korean films somewhere.

Zvezda - WW2 Russian unit behind enemy lines
Beast of War - Russian invasion of Afghanistan
All quiet on the Western Front (silent preferably) - WW1 German soldiers
9th Company - Another Afghan War story
Went the day well - Old b&w story about a German invasion
It happened here - Drama/doc, what if the Germans won WW2 and invaded.
Come & See - Brilliant Belarussian WW2 film
Army of Crime - WW2 French resistance
Army of Shadows - BRILLIANT WW2 French resistance
How sleep the brave - Vietnam
Hamburger Hill - Vietnam
Brotherhood - Korean War
Gettysburg/Gods and Generals - American Civil War
Rome: Open City - Last days of German occupation of Rome in WW2
Gallipoli - WW1 even Mel Gibson doesn't stop it being a great film.

odd take on WW2, which you've probly seen, but if not....

Went The Day Well. Piece of genius, with an almost sexy Thora Hird

(E2A: oh...feck)

Zvezda - WW2 Russian unit behind enemy lines
Beast of War - Russian invasion of Afghanistan
All quiet on the Western Front (silent preferably) - WW1 German soldiers
9th Company - Another Afghan War story
Went the day well - Old b&w story about a German invasion
It happened here - Drama/doc, what if the Germans won WW2 and invaded.
Come & See - Brilliant Belarussian WW2 film
Army of Crime - WW2 French resistance
Army of Shadows - BRILLIANT WW2 French resistance
How sleep the brave - Vietnam
Hamburger Hill - Vietnam
Brotherhood - Korean War
Gettysburg/Gods and Generals - American Civil War
Rome: Open City - Last days of German occupation of Rome in WW2
Gallipoli - WW1 even Mel Gibson doesn't stop it being a great film.

Despite your flagrant disregard for the WWII/Viet Nam War embargo, and your predilection for mentioned already-suggested films ( :p ), I shall concur with you on It Happened Here and Went The Day Well, and Idi I Smotri, and Roma, Città Aperta (might work well in a double bill with Paris Brûle-T-Il?), and L'Armée Des Ombres...

I didn't really go for Gods And Generals, so didn't bother with Gettysburg as I thought it would be more of the same (lots of stodginess and speechifying).

L'Armée Du Crime on the other hand looks most tempting (so long as it's not another in the mould of Les Femmes De L'Ombre).

Zvezda is a film I've been recommended before - I think I had a scout around for it, couldn't find it, and so gave up - so thanks for reminding me :)

The IMDb user reviews for How Sleep The Brave are intriguing! Definitely sounds like one to check out.

Back
Top Bottom