Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend (preferably non-WWII/Nam) war films

Oooh I've been wanting to see that for a while now, ta for reminding me.

(The non-WW2/Nam thing isn't hard-and-fast, I'm sure any recommendations will be welcomed by someone.)

It's more Cold War than WWII but I always think of that 40-odd years as being very interlinked. I really enjoyed that film, but I have read criticisms along the lines that it disproportionately portrayed the Stasi type atmosphere ... good viewing though.

Come & See. Yeah, I know it's a WW2 film but is a must see if you haven't already.:)

Paths of Glory - as someone who tends to know what he's talking about said:

" . . . the most important political film of the 20th century. If anyone wants to look at "Paths of Glory" and think it doesn't speak to the essential triumph of institutions over individuals and doesn't speak to the fundamental inhumanity of the 20th century and beyond, then they weren't watching the same film as the rest of us. That film is essential, and as meaningful today as the day it was made."
Early Kubrick, with Kirk Douglas playing the kind of man he wished he was.

Okay so it's WWI but it's a) amazing and b) often overlooked

johnnygothisgunhx1.jpg

9th Company - young Russian soldiers in Afghanistan (the boy from Come and See is in it).

Battle of Algiers - the Algerian resistance against the French occupation.

Harlan County USA
Matewan
Oktober

classics from the class war.

alternatively:

Life & Death of Colonel Blimp (three wars for the price of one!)
Rome, Open City/Best Years of Our Lives/To Have & Have Not - all WW2, but very diff takes on it
Contraband/Spy In Black/La Grande Illusion - WW1
Ran - fuck knows which war, but a war it definitely is
Red Badge of Courage - US Civil War

The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth are both films about the Spanish civil war, as is The Spirit of the Beehive which was a big influence on those.

Oh What A Lovely War - (WW1)
Glory - (US Civil War)
Voina (War) - (Chechnya)
Gallipoli - (WW1)
Assembly - (Chinese Civil War)
Alexander Nevsky - (medieval Russian)
Welcome To Sarajevo - (Bosnia)
Dr Strangelove - (Cold War)
The Beast - (Afghanistan)

Come & See. Yeah, I know it's a WW2 film but is a must see if you haven't already.

Congratulations, you win the Every Urban Thread About War Films Must Mention Idi I Smotri sweepstake!

Last of the Mohicans

Good choice, and makes me think I'd like to see Day Lewis in a straight-up war film.

Paths of Glory

No complaints here.

Soldier Blue :cool: that's a war western with brutality and heart.

I said no Nam flicks :mad:

Somehow I appear to have never got round to seeing this :confused:

9th Company - young Russian soldiers in Afghanistan (the boy from Come and See is in it).

I said no tired old tropes! It's just Platoon in Cyrillic!

Battle of Algiers - the Algerian resistance against the French occupation.

Another sweepstake victor!

Harlan County USA
Matewan
Oktober

Should see/Want to see/Seen

Life & Death of Colonel Blimp (three wars for the price of one!)
Rome, Open City/Best Years of Our Lives/To Have & Have Not - all WW2, but very diff takes on it
Contraband/Spy In Black/La Grande Illusion - WW1
Ran - fuck knows which war, but a war it definitely is
Red Badge of Courage - US Civil War

Affirmative
Deffo/Bit grim/At least you didn't suggest little-known Casablanca
An Archers blindspot/Ditto/Not seen for ages
Of course!
See up there ^

Bashu, the Little Stranger its set during the Iran–Iraq War.

That sounds just the sort of thing I'm looking for, ta :)

The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth are both films about the Spanish civil war, as is The Spirit of the Beehive which was a big influence on those.

Good stuff!

Oh What A Lovely War - (WW1)
Glory - (US Civil War)
Voina (War) - (Chechnya)
Gallipoli - (WW1)
Assembly - (Chinese Civil War)
Alexander Nevsky - (medieval Russian)
Welcome To Sarajevo - (Bosnia)
Dr Strangelove - (Cold War)
The Beast - (Afghanistan)

Some food for thought there - not seen Voina or Assembly, willdefinitely checkthemout, thanks :)

Welcome To Sarajevo - not one of my favourites, not one of my favourite Winterbottoms, and not even one of my favourite Woody-after-Cheers films, but there's some great locations. Cabaret Balkan was a more interesting FRY wars flick IMO.

what's that balkan film about the fellas in a crater bickering? they're from different sides and one of them is lying on a bomb that will explode if he moves?

what's that balkan film about the fellas in a crater bickering? they're from different sides and one of them is lying on a bomb that will explode if he moves?

I spent an unhappy few hours trying to tweak the timecodes and edit out the Americanisms on a subtitle file to that so it matched the video, only to belatedly realise I'd got myself an Italian dub :facepalm:

Some food for thought there - not seen Voina or Assembly, willdefinitely checkthemout, thanks :)

Welcome To Sarajevo - not one of my favourites, not one of my favourite Winterbottoms, and not even one of my favourite Woody-after-Cheers films, but there's some great locations. Cabaret Balkan was a more interesting FRY wars flick IMO.

Cabaret Balkan is a new one for me, I'll look out for it. Cheers.

I imagine you've seen it already, but what about The Killing Fields? It's always worth another viewing.

Libertarias?

Cabaret Balkan is a new one for me, I'll look out for it. Cheers.

AKA Bure Baruta and Powder Keg; it's about the lives of a disparate bunch of people as they bump into each other in barely post-war (but pre-Nato bombing) Belgrade.

A few more I'm interested in seeing:
The Last Bridge
The Bridge
The Devil's General
Uomini Contro
Black And White In Colour

First three are WWII, last two are WWI.

Back
Top Bottom