Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Recommend me a printer

trevhagl

Famous author , company CEO
Sick of my Canon malfunctioning and having to download drivers again, also ink prices are now off the scale. I need good quality prints and cheap ink . Was looking at Epson eco tank but the reviews are well varied . Also another potential problem is computer was not working on wifi so we had to set it up with ethernet cable and i think some of these printers are wifi only

Sick of my Canon malfunctioning and having to download drivers again, also ink prices are now off the scale. I need good quality prints and cheap ink . Was looking at Epson eco tank but the reviews are well varied . Also another potential problem is computer was not working on wifi so we had to set it up with ethernet cable and i think some of these printers are wifi only

Do you do a lot of printing? Do you need colour?

I've given up with inkjets. A small black and white laser is cheap to buy and cheap to run. The paper feed is dying on mine but I think its well over 12 years old.

Do you do a lot of printing? Do you need colour?

I've given up with inkjets. A small black and white laser is cheap to buy and cheap to run. The paper feed is dying on mine but I think its well over 12 years old.
preferably have colour but i could print a lot off with old printer . The hard part seems to be finding one thats not wireless as wifi barely worked so i set up ethernet cable

preferably have colour but i could print a lot off with old printer . The hard part seems to be finding one thats not wireless as wifi barely worked so i set up ethernet cable

Do you need photos? You can get colour lasers although they are more bulky, the running costs are a lot lower, but not really good for photos. They'd probably have ethernet as well as colour. I can't recommend a model, but it's the way I'd got if I did a lot of colour printing at home and just pay to get photos done.

Do you need photos? You can get colour lasers although they are more bulky, the running costs are a lot lower, but not really good for photos. They'd probably have ethernet as well as colour. I can't recommend a model, but it's the way I'd got if I did a lot of colour printing at home and just pay to get photos done.
cheers well bulky is a no no as only have certain amount of room , regarding quality for the black, it needs to be spot on regarding bar codes cos i need manifests to scan

The Epson tank printers are ok if you are printing simple solid colour graphics - graphs/charts/text kind of thing but for anything photorealistic or nuanced colour and shade, no use. I’d keep the Canon for that. dep on model, compatible cartridges can be a lot cheaper and even the more expensive ones have been coming down recently

The Epson tank printers are ok if you are printing simple solid colour graphics - graphs/charts/text kind of thing but for anything photorealistic or nuanced colour and shade, no use. I’d keep the Canon for that. dep on model, compatible cartridges can be a lot cheaper and even the more expensive ones have been coming down recently
yes the Canon is good for this but at £40 a cartridge now they are proper taking the piss. Also keep getting malfunctions and having to download the driver again which takes ages . Do you happen to know if the Epson tank is compatible with ethernet cable as i can't use wifi as it was just freezing when accessing websites

hmm

i have an aged epson inkjet (must be 10 years old or so) and use non original cartridges (stinkyink) - i occasionally print out morrisons vouchers with bar codes, and have done online postage which means printing something with a QR code - i've never had problems at morrisons, or had anything sent back by the post office (and that's usually printing stuff on 'text' quality rather than 'text and image'

or are your barcodes tiny?

i use it plugged with cable to my home PC, and wi-fi from my work laptop - with the latter, some days it works, some days it doesn't.

hmm

i have an aged epson inkjet (must be 10 years old or so) and use non original cartridges (stinkyink) - i occasionally print out morrisons vouchers with bar codes, and have done online postage which means printing something with a QR code - i've never had problems at morrisons, or had anything sent back by the post office (and that's usually printing stuff on 'text' quality rather than 'text and image'

or are your barcodes tiny?

i use it plugged with cable to my home PC, and wi-fi from my work laptop - with the latter, some days it works, some days it doesn't.
the barcodes are the normal 4x6" labels , i used to have an ordinary Epsom but then they put new software update on it and it wrecked it so i couldn't use fake cartridges, swore never to get another one

the barcodes are the normal 4x6" labels , i used to have an ordinary Epsom but then they put new software update on it and it wrecked it so i couldn't use fake cartridges, swore never to get another one

:(

mine occasionally brings up a snarky message about not using 'proper' cartridges but that's about it.

:(

mine occasionally brings up a snarky message about not using 'proper' cartridges but that's about it.
with mine i had to watch a You Tube video that involved switching it off and disconnecting cable, every time you replaced cartridge, just not enough hours in the day for that - maybe they have backtracked a bit cos the video comments had people getting that with GENUINE cartridges!

with mine i had to watch a You Tube video that involved switching it off and disconnecting cable, every time you replaced cartridge, just not enough hours in the day for that - maybe they have backtracked a bit cos the video comments had people getting that with GENUINE cartridges!

either that or mine is an old enough model for them not to care any more...

My brother b/w laser printer seems to have died - three years old but I've only ever used it once every few weeks. I wasn't too impressed with the print quality tbh, slightly faint with dots and things over the page where they shouldn't have been. I should probably have checked whether I could improve it but it's mainly for my own use so I didn't bother.

It was a bells and whistles one which was probably a mistake because I only need a basic Ethernet connected one. But since starting this post I wondered whether Brother do a 3-year guarantee. They do, and it runs out Monday so I've emailed them and told them I'd like to claim.

So ta for this thread :).

My brother b/w laser printer seems to have died - three years old but I've only ever used it once every few weeks. I wasn't too impressed with the print quality tbh, slightly faint with dots and things over the page where they shouldn't have been. I should probably have checked whether I could improve it but it's mainly for my own use so I didn't bother.

It was a bells and whistles one which was probably a mistake because I only need a basic Ethernet connected one. But since starting this post I wondered whether Brother do a 3-year guarantee. They do, and it runs out Monday so I've emailed them and told them I'd like to claim.

So ta for this thread :).
i will avoid those then cheers

I really couldn't disagree more. I get superb photo prints from my Epson ecotank. It's an ET - 2714.

Not fast for A4 photo, but colour and detail are superb. It also has a decent scanner.

A lot of my prints are stamps, so accurate colour is important.

Back when I was job hunting I had a need to print CVs and similar documents and hardly any need for colour so I bought a bargain Brother laser printer which served me well for a few years.

I was warned that replacing the guts would likely cost as much as the printer itself and so it transpires. Anyhow not job hunting now so I hardly ever need to print at all.

I am a photographer but I get colour prints made on a Fuji Frontier printer in a local shop, it isn't possible to get equivalent colour prints at home.

Back when I was job hunting I had a need to print CVs and similar documents and hardly any need for colour so I bought a bargain Brother laser printer which served me well for a few years.

I was warned that replacing the guts would likely cost as much as the printer itself and so it transpires. Anyhow not job hunting now so I hardly ever need to print at all.

I am a photographer but I get colour prints made on a Fuji Frontier printer in a local shop, it isn't possible to get equivalent colour prints at home.
It is if you are prepared to spend a lot of money. :)

Yes, my ancient mono laser is a brother. Its just kept going.

I was really impressed a number of years ago how good the photos could be with an ink jet on the paper that came with it. Then went I went to buy the same stuff realised it was way cheaper to have them printed out for me.

I really couldn't disagree more. I get superb photo prints from my Epson ecotank. It's an ET - 2714.

Not fast for A4 photo, but colour and detail are superb. It also has a decent scanner.

A lot of my prints are stamps, so accurate colour is important.
do you think this will be compatible with Windows 11?

i see a lot of printers have a CD driver set up, not used my CD drive yet but if it malfunctions , is there alternative method for drivers (website)?

i see a lot of printers have a CD driver set up, not used my CD drive yet but if it malfunctions , is there alternative method for drivers (website)?

Just plug it in. In a lot of cases the windows drivers are fine. But yes you can also get them from the website. Sometimes this way you can just get the driver and not all the garbage software that comes with them.

Back
Top Bottom