Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Really tacky Premiership gimmicks and other modern football crap

editor

hiraethified
May I start with these ludicrous oversized 'official' flags flapped around by staff whenever the home team scores. Naturally, any fans trying to bring in a similarly sized unofficial flag would find it confiscated at the door sharpish.

arsenal-2.jpg

And how about the match ball pretentiously displayed on its special Barclays/sponsor co-branded plinth before the game starts?

hi-res-186033953-the-high-vis-nike-incyte-match-ball-is-seen-prior-to_crop_650x440.jpg

And then there's those pantomime "look at MMEEEEE!" football boots:

aa8e674c9118b506_football_boots_x_10150851456231571_23827665_n.preview.jpg

Obviously, despicable goal celebration music has to be in there too, but what other truly naff things can be found in the Premiership?

I watched MOTD for the first time in ages today (no mention of the Cardiff match protest, natch) and laughed out loud when I saw the ref had to pick up the ball from that ridiculous little plinth.

Them club-led flag days where all the fans have exactly the same officially endorsed flag to wave

I watched MOTD for the first time in ages today (no mention of the Cardiff match protest, natch) and laughed out loud when I saw the ref had to pick up the ball from that ridiculous little plinth.
Wasn't aware of the protest but did notice very few crowd shots when Cardiff scored - the background shots were notable for how the red shirts stood out in the sea of blue/neutral colours.

And yeah, that ball thing's been going on for a while. And those Arsenal flags are well shit

I actually feel sorry for your lot. Watching them atm it doesn't feel like the old Cardiff City I grew up loathing/pitying (all in good fun obv ;) )

What is this yellow ball nonsense all about anyway. Didn't we already have this about 10 years ago before reverting back to white again. I like white. I don't want any of these bollocks day-glo balls unless it's absolutely necessary i.e. SNOWING.

Pre-season money spinning tours of important 'markets'
Mid-season money spinning tours of important 'markets'
End-of-season money spinning tours of important 'markets'

The concept of 'Premiership records', as though any previous top flight achievements are downgraded because nobody had heard of Richard Keys at the time

Megastores

Not going away because it's unaffordable

Not going to Cup matches because the season ticket has cleaned you out for the next nine months

Booing ex-players because 'it's what you do'. No it isn't.

Managers wearing them minty headsets so they can talk to Sammy Lee or whoever from the boxes

Those stupid fucking armchairs they have instead of benches that probably cost about ten grand each and necessitate the sale of ever more shite limited edition framed prints of Craig fucking Bellamy in order to buy them

Shall I continue?

Pre-season money spinning tours of important 'markets'
Mid-season money spinning tours of important 'markets'
End-of-season money spinning tours of important 'markets'

The concept of 'Premiership records', as though any previous top flight achievements are downgraded because nobody had heard of Richard Keys at the time

Megastores

Not going away because it's unaffordable

Not going to Cup matches because the season ticket has cleaned you out for the next nine months

Booing ex-players because 'it's what you do'. No it isn't.

Managers wearing them minty headsets so they can talk to Sammy Lee or whoever from the boxes

Those stupid fucking armchairs they have instead of benches that probably cost about ten grand each and necessitate the sale of ever more shite limited edition framed prints of Craig fucking Bellamy in order to buy them

Shall I continue?

^^ YES to all of that.

Managers in silly v necks that make them look like geography teachers

'Controversy'

'Banter'

Chelsea winning the league

Players jumping up and down in unison (completely naturally, just because emotion and the moment has overwhelmed them), on the raising aloft of twatty trophy amidst ejaculation of colour-coordinated ticker tape on branded stage 6 miles away from hordes of dangerous spectators.

It's rather ironic that the one thing modern times could offer to the game which I think would be wholehartedly welcomed by the majority of fans and players is video refs. Yet they reject it time and time again.

'Ooooh no, better send the under 12s out against Rochdale in the quarter final, don't want to risk having to play a few extra games in cup finals and that when we could be finishing just ahead of Tottenham instead'

Back
Top Bottom