Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Re-Heating Rice

Okay, I guess my question is more specific being why the 'reheating' aspect seems to be the main point of contention everywhere when it is a total irrelevance, as you have at least as much risk when eating left-over rice that has not been re-heated.

Unless, of course - for some reason I've missed - it isn't a total irrelevance.
Because the bacteria need warmth to multiply.

I batch cook rice for re-heating/frying during the week.. I just toss it in the fridge as soon as it's cooked.

Left-over (not reheated) rice has 'more or less' as much chance as causing food poisoning as reheated rice?

It has a significant chance - IIRC its the cooling phase that can be the most risky for promoting bacterial activity - then the next reheat.

Blagsta is right about the temp range, although there has been some revision to the upper level recently. IIRC some are now advising around 74C

It has a significant chance - IIRC its the cooling phase that can be the most risky for promoting bacterial activity - then the next reheat.

Blagsta is right about the temp range, although there has been some revision to the upper level recently. IIRC some are now advising around 74C
'Significant chance' is a useful enough phrase, thanks. What does 'IIRC' stand for?

Is left-over (not reheated) rice special in any way when not refridgerated - in terms of the risk of food poisoning? What if you eat left-over (not reheated and not refridgerated ) pasta, lentils, vegetables, chicken, pork, beef, etc.? Do they pose the same risk of food-poisoning?

There are 3,000,000,000 people without fridges eating rice on a daily basis in Asia, including reheated rice and cooked unheated rice. If rice badgers were at all common, millions of people would die from eating rice every year.

Funnilly enough, most of the research and clinical experience in rice-related poisoning does come out of Asia and its a considerable body of work - so this is hardly a rare problem!

Then there are secondary isues around storage and shipping of rice - some seem to think that this can increase the problem for further flung markets and some have been pursung a line that suggests there may be a degree of genetic or otherwise acquired resistence to bacillus cerus in some races.

Secondary toxins created by the bacterial action, which will not be destroyed by reheating and can be every bit as nasty as the bacteria themselves.

In my case it was nine weeks in hospital with all sorts of unpleasantness including the first stages of kidney failure and one of my testicles swelling-up to the size of a grapefruit and many months of feeling utterly shit afterwards as my body slowly expelled the toxins from my system.

Really.. not.. worth.. it..!
Buster pogofish and his unfeasibly large testicle!!!! :D Sorry; it's just so much more satisfying to laugh at someone else's expense.

Funnilly enough, most of the research and clinical experience in rice-related poisoning does come out of Asia and its a considerable body of work - so this is hardly a rare problem!

There's a "considerable body of work" on a number of rare diseases. Rice poisoning for people who own fridges is a rare occurrence not worth worrying about to any greater degree than any of the other causes of food poisoning.

There's a "considerable body of work" on a number of rare diseases. Rice poisoning for people who own fridges is a rare occurrence not worth worrying about to any greater degree than any of the other causes of food poisoning.

True enough - there are plenty other risks for food poisoning and rice shouldn't be any more or less of a worry there.

What if you eat left-over (not reheated and not refridgerated ) pasta, lentils, vegetables, chicken, pork, beef, etc.? Do they pose the same risk of food-poisoning?

You might want to browse some more in Urban's fine collection of food poisoning threads then - I think all of those are well covered! :)

Back
Top Bottom