Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Radical Independence Conference

here with two others.
if anyone fancies post conference beers or owt.

been an interesting day.tiring though

Really enjoyed that. My favourite bit of the day was hearing the mums from Focus E15 telling us about what they've been doing. Other speakers included the Ritzy Living Wage Campaign and several international speakers from the likes of Syriza, Podemos and Quebec Solidaire as well as the Scottish lot. More than 3000 attendees apparently which is quite impressive given the SNP had Nicola Sturgeon talking to 12,000 at the Hydro (which is right next door) at the same time
IMAG2151.jpg

IMAG2155.jpg

IMAG2157.jpg

That article doesn't say that they're explicitly calling for civil disobedience and direct action to combat fracking and Trident though
edit, actually yes it does, I just hadn't read that far :D

My favourite bit of the day was hearing the mums from Focus E15 telling us about what they've been doing.

We caught the end of that and they were indeed inspiring. Kinda made me wish we had plumped for that instead of the TTIP session. Also would have liked to have attended the session on feminism, but that clashed with the one on land reform although that was excellent.

We caught the end of that and they were indeed inspiring. Kinda made me wish we had plumped for that instead of the TTIP session. Also would have liked to have attended the session on feminism, but that clashed with the one on land reform although that was excellent.

I got given tickets for some of the workshops by someone that couldn't use them but I ended up just staying in the main hall for the mass forum bits because they were so interesting.

Was there anything mention of the EU? Obviously the SNP are making quite a bit deal of backing the EU (UK can't leave unless all countries agree etc), I'd hope that the RIC would take a more sensible view. Did the issue come up at all?

Was there anything mention of the EU? Obviously the SNP are making quite a bit deal of backing the EU (UK can't leave unless all countries agree etc), I'd hope that the RIC would take a more sensible view. Did the issue come up at all?
Touched on briefly in the TTIP discussions, though obviously as a side issue of sorts.

Here is a nice pic from the day

B3PZP3OCAAAB50h.jpg:large

i was also there. first political event in a long time. things that struck me:
  • so many young people, especially young women
  • no cranks, no dogs on string, no conspiracy theorists
  • so many articulate, intelligient contributions from the floor , again often by young people, esp young women
  • where do they all get the confidence???
  • professionalism of the event overall - didn't feel like being at a left wing event
  • excellently chaired meetings - so many contributions
  • twos downsides, one, the 'everything is amazing' tendency, ie positivity, but i'm just a cynical bastart. this stuff can get a bit wishy washy though. e.g. the Bissett peoples vow thing at the end.
  • secondly, the outcomes - weren't that clearly articulated, and wasn't clear how they were arrived at.
the energy of the event overall was the most striking thing. this isn't going away soon. the referendum put a generation of young people through a rapid process of politicisation and (unlike most of the left's usual political struggles) they've come out the other end even more energised.

they've got arguments, confidence and passion. interesting times to come.

• twos downsides, one, the 'everything is amazing' tendency, ie positivity, but i'm just a cynical bastart. this stuff can get a bit wishy washy though. e.g. the Bissett peoples vow thing at the end.
Yes, there was a bit of that, but then I came home and saw all the foam fingers and glitter cannons from Natfest at the Hydro on twitter and thought actually maybe they were quite restrained :hmm:

The Swappies' stall was very firmly outside the event rather than inside up on the first floor with all the other invited stallholders :)
We were talking about that in the pub after. Probably not a coincidence that we were also talking about the professionalism of the event overall.

Good to see.

Back
Top Bottom