Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Queen of Denmark unexpectedly abdicates

" the timing of the announcement will have "taken many people by surprise".

"She has not been very well recently. She's had trouble with back pain. She's had some surgeries," "

so no surprise at all really.

What does a retired monarch do? Can't really imagine her nipping down to the pub for a game of dominos or queueing for her pension at the post office.

I'm out with a friend who's got a Danish passport but isn't really very Danish. (They were v generous passport-wise back in the day.) She's like 🤷‍♀️.

Other than statelets like Monaco, the only other remaining monarchy in Europe is Spain, which has Franco to thank for bringing it back.

tbh I think the answer is boring. It's indicative of relative political stability and continuity in the last couple of centuries.

There's some geezer lives in Belgrade styles himself King of Yugoslavia.

Evidently there's more than one memo he never got.

Other than statelets like Monaco, the only other remaining monarchy in Europe is Spain, which has Franco to thank for bringing it back.

tbh I think the answer is boring. It's indicative of relative political stability and continuity in the last couple of centuries.
The ex-King of Bulgaria, having been deposed in the late 40's got himself elected as Prime Minister in the early 90s.His revived popularity soon waned.

Back
Top Bottom