Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Prem League 2020-21 Title Race

Wilf

Slouching towards Billingham
Must have had about 4 different leaders in the last 10 days (Liverpool, United, Leicester, citeh) and Everton come close if they were to win their games in hand. So, who's going to win it? Liverpool will have to stop being shit pretty quickly if they are to feature; united's position at the top seems inflated and I can't see them doing it (though if you can grind out the wins...). Citeh are playing the best and would be my pick.

On one level it should be a great watch, nobody running away with it and all that. Same time, it all feels a bit bloodless without the fans in.

Citeh & Manure seem to be the form teams atm - Leicester not far behind. Spurs could still put a run of form together - although Bale seems to be not working out for them - Chelsea seem at sea - Arsenal are playing better but an earlier bad run rules them out. Liverpool seem to be stuttering, I can't see Everton maintaining top 5 tbh.

It is exciting - still a lot in it - particularly if Liverpool get back on form , 5 teams in it - Citeh,Manure,Leicester,Spurs, Liverpool - imvho of course . Could be even more than that if Chelsea/Arsenal get a decent run together. It's great seeing it so close , reminds me of a First Division title race in 74/75 when I was a kid when it seemed to be amongst 10 teams , just checked the table on that year - 11 points between 1st and 11th :thumbs:

Man City have to be clear favourites I think. If they really hit the form of 2 or 3 seasons ago they can run away with it. Aside from that though I think their floor is probably higher - even playing badly they'll still pick up plenty of points. Liverpool would still be the main candidates to beat them I think but they'll need to sort themselves out pretty quickly, it will be hard for them to make up a substantial gap. Any of the others could maybe scrape in if those two don't do well.

I'm a united fan, but just can't see them winning it. The unbeaten run has been a bit like watching a tightrope walker swaying, compensating, swaying a bit more. Same time, there's a fair bit of grit there. Citeh and Liverpool have the best squads, but citeh look like they've sorted out their glitches whereas Liverpool haven't. Seems a bit odd calling a team clear favourites when they are not even top, but I'd say citeh are.

As a united fan, I'm not that used to the high moral ground, but another citeh title would be too much Abu Dhabi sportswash to stomach for me. That leaves me supporting Liverpool's furloughing plutocrats if it's a battle between those 2. Anyway, it's always nice seeing Liverpool doing well for the families of the 96.

I think City will win it too. It still pains me to say how brilliant Kevin de Bruyne is.
Utd doing well but not overly convincing.
Leicester look solid, they could unsurprisingly surprise us all again.

Chelsea are floundering but could put a good run together as could Arsenal ans Spurs so the top 4 battle will be interesting, especially when you throw Saints and Everton in the mix.

Watch out for West Brom too. Big Sam and Snodgrass linking up is a warning shot to the elites up there :D

Citeh & Manure seem to be the form teams atm - Leicester not far behind. Spurs could still put a run of form together - although Bale seems to be not working out for them - Chelsea seem at sea - Arsenal are playing better but an earlier bad run rules them out. Liverpool seem to be stuttering, I can't see Everton maintaining top 5 tbh.

It is exciting - still a lot in it - particularly if Liverpool get back on form , 5 teams in it - Citeh,Manure,Leicester,Spurs, Liverpool - imvho of course . Could be even more than that if Chelsea/Arsenal get a decent run together. It's great seeing it so close , reminds me of a First Division title race in 74/75 when I was a kid when it seemed to be amongst 10 teams , just checked the table on that year - 11 points between 1st and 11th :thumbs:
Was only two points for a win then wasn't it?

I think City will win it too. It still pains me to say how brilliant Kevin de Bruyne is.
He might miss the next few matches - also Aguero's isolating with/from Covid, so he's not coming back. Might be others infected.

Lots could go wrong for them in the next fortnight.

Agree if KDB was fit it's a different matter, though.

Every team at the top is having good runs and bad runs, unlike say Liverpool last year or City the year before.

Man Utd are on their good run, I can't see them sustaining this level for the rest of the season - they go behind too often, especially away from home, so at some point their powers of recovery will desert them.

Liverpool to me look fatigued, possibly more mentally than physically. Their last season was exceptional, probably the best team and squad of recent history (that they didn't break every record going imho was because they didn't really need to switch back on after lockdown), and it must have taken a toll in getting the 30yr monkey off their collective back. They're seriously good still, just not as invincible any more.

Man City are the best side right now, looking ominously good. De Bruyne is a massive miss for them though, 4-6 weeks is a heck of a lot of games. Playing Foden, Gundogan, Bernardo Silva is hardly a hardship, but KDB is just that good (and has been their emergency CF in Aguero's absence).

Spurs could be up there - capable of beating anyone, but equally of the top sides they're probably also the most capable of dropping stupid points.

Leicester - they couldn't, could they?

I reckon in the end it will be:
Man City
Liverpool
Spurs
Leicester
Man Utd
Chelsea
Everton
Arsenal

Every team at the top is having good runs and bad runs, unlike say Liverpool last year or City the year before.

Man Utd are on their good run, I can't see them sustaining this level for the rest of the season - they go behind too often, especially away from home, so at some point their powers of recovery will desert them.

Liverpool to me look fatigued, possibly more mentally than physically. Their last season was exceptional, probably the best team and squad of recent history (that they didn't break every record going imho was because they didn't really need to switch back on after lockdown), and it must have taken a toll in getting the 30yr monkey off their collective back. They're seriously good still, just not as invincible any more.

Man City are the best side right now, looking ominously good. De Bruyne is a massive miss for them though, 4-6 weeks is a heck of a lot of games. Playing Foden, Gundogan, Bernardo Silva is hardly a hardship, but KDB is just that good (and has been their emergency CF in Aguero's absence).

Spurs could be up there - capable of beating anyone, but equally of the top sides they're probably also the most capable of dropping stupid points.

Leicester - they couldn't, could they?

I reckon in the end it will be:
Man City
Liverpool
Spurs
Leicester
Man Utd
Chelsea
Everton
Arsenal
Agree on your top 2 and then it's probably your next 3 in any order. Only way united slip to 5th is if they stop getting (entirely warranted) penalties. ;)

Actually, just checked, united aren't top of the penalties league, it's Leicester, though I think united have had a good few in other competitions.
Premier League - Penalties received | Transfermarkt

Everton are still my dark horses (I put money on them at the start of the season) because Ancelotti is a fucking genius but I can't see anyone matching City the way they're playing at the moment.

Part of me thinks we currently have the most esteemed set of managers we've ever had domestically. Klopp, Guardiola, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Bielsa, Dyche, Hodgson.

He might miss the next few matches - also Aguero's isolating with/from Covid, so he's not coming back. Might be others infected.

Lots could go wrong for them in the next fortnight.

Agree if KDB was fit it's a different matter, though.

I never realised de Bruyne was injured. Vardy I heard was struggling. It's still a very strange season. Theres a lot of youngsters playing out there, nothing wrong with that at all, but an obvious reflection of pressure on squads. I also think this blip at Liverpool wouldnt be happening with The Kop behind them.

Iirc Euro 2020 is going ahead this summer too?

I never realised de Bruyne was injured. Vardy I heard was struggling. It's still a very strange season. Theres a lot of youngsters playing out there, nothing wrong with that at all, but an obvious reflection of pressure on squads. I also think this blip at Liverpool wouldnt be happening with The Kop behind them.

Iirc Euro 2020 is going ahead this summer too?

That and covid are the reasons for the compacted season and rate of fixtures.

Agree on your top 2 and then it's probably your next 3 in any order. Only way united slip to 5th is if they stop getting (entirely warranted) penalties. ;)

Actually, just checked, united aren't top of the penalties league, it's Leicester, though I think united have had a good few in other competitions.
Premier League - Penalties received | Transfermarkt
Theres plenty of time for Man Utd to retain there record of having the most penalties in th EPL for the third year running.

It wasn't so long ago that there were about 8 teams in the title race, it was really exciting. Now it looks like City are going to monopolise it and it's fucking boring. Will be praying that all teams that play City can get a result.

It wasn't so long ago that there were about 8 teams in the title race, it was really exciting. Now it looks like City are going to monopolise it and it's fucking boring. Will be praying that all teams that play City can get a result.

You'll be doing that on Sunday anyway presumably :thumbs:

To be fair although it does look like City will win it , its still a cracking chase for the other places.

It's a bit meh though really isn't it, that whole thing. Despite their best efforts being League Champion does still mean something, but I find it hard to care who does and doesn't scrape into the top 4 just because it's the CL gravy train cutoff point. An epic battle for fourth doesn't really compare to a proper title fight for me.

It's a bit meh though really isn't it, that whole thing. Despite their best efforts being League Champion does still mean something, but I find it hard to care who does and doesn't scrape into the top 4 just because it's the CL gravy train cutoff point. An epic battle for fourth doesn't really compare to a proper title fight for me.

I partially agree , and I suppose its horses for courses but I do find the fact that teams like Villa, Leicester, West Ham, Everton ( Spurs momentarily) have shook up this season , to some extent, the usual suspects for the top 4-6 places both interesting and entertaining. Its a little more topsy turvey this season ,in addition to that teams like Man Utd have over performed and teams like Liverpool have under performed.

its been a terrible season in regards to football but as some sort of comedy show it has been brilliant if terrible defending makes you howl with laughter.
man city have got a big enough squad to cope and a decent manager, everyone else at best seems to be hampered by injury/illness or having shit managers. the random results have had some sort of equalizing effect on the league but it hasnt been good football. has been entertaining at times.

I just hope the Liverpool collapse continues apace. In dreamland they would finish 5th outside the CL below City, United, Leicester and Spurs. Probs won't happen but that's my ideal scenario.

I just hope the Liverpool collapse continues apace. In dreamland they would finish 5th outside the CL below City, United, Leicester and Spurs. Probs won't happen but that's my ideal scenario.

That implies you dislike Liverpool more than the others, particularly the Manchester clubs. Any background to that? Are you a Toffee?

I am a City fan and would rather see United in the top 4 than Liverpool this year thanks
If you don't mind, why is that? Just in the sense of your main rival falling behind or do you genuinely dislike Liverpool?

I'm a united fan and find myself in the weird situation of having Liverpool as my 3rd or 4th club. :eek: It's partly out of respect for the families of the 96, but also what's not to like about Klopp? Admittedly, I'm weird, I actually used to quite like citeh when they were shit. :(

Back
Top Bottom