Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post random pics of your CD/vinyl/cassette collection

Oops, that was last year, just took a new one - it was only when I looked at it here, I noticed - the old eyeball skills are fading, no detail at all when looking at thumbnails with no specs on!! :mad::mad:
View attachment 295393

The changes? :- new amp and mixer....and some more tunes, but the only ones you can indentify I have had for a while......no matter, I love my "plastics" - one of my neighbours teenage relis had heard the music, was surpised it was an ancient white bloke playing it on appaently stone age equipment. She knocked on my window, asked if he could have a look I showed him round, he thought it was really cool we could actually do stuff with all this mechanical stuff, then he asked me how many plastics I had. Nice kid. Me and Auntie agreed that to youth it must be a constant surprise that we managed to survive in such primitive times. They would have a point. I am beginning to sound very much like my Grandpa n thats what I wondered about him.
I got that Denon a few months ago and am pretty pleased with it (esp. the bluetooth quality)...how are you finding it?

I got that Denon a few months ago and am pretty pleased with it (esp. the bluetooth quality)...how are you finding it?
Very sensitive to heat - cant run both sets of speakers at decent tooth rattling level for long before it cuts out in summer

Very sensitive to heat - cant run both sets of speakers at decent tooth rattling level for long before it cuts out in summer
Interesting, I'll look out for that.
But I'm only running a pair of Wharfedale bookcases on it...so shouldn't tax it too much.
Seems a bit base heavy, if anything.

Interesting, I'll look out for that.
But I'm only running a pair of Wharfedale bookcases on it...so shouldn't tax it too much.
Seems a bit base heavy, if anything.
Its hard to tell for me - never run anything straight into the amp, always pre-amped thru mixer, currently a Behringer, well one of these
shopping

Kin ell, how do you make this image smaller??? Anyway, everthing is chuckked thru this first - FX doesnt seem to work via the USB outlet tho, may have to run it out thru the Booth vol option or taking a feed from the "record out" option on the amps rear patch panel. What I really want is to get me old Akai AM95 running again, that 180 watts per channel at 8ohms - I used to use it to drive the big speaker boxes that are currently holding the decks etc, up, 30 year old custom boxes form Fatman of Brixton - superb bowel reorganizing Bass output. However, cannot be used in a domestic setting and was the cause of much difficulty and friction many years back when I attempted to do so ( Bizarrely back in the day, I put an open invite on here for anyone who wanted to attend the party that put me under the cosh with Southwarks noise crew. For any that can remember the event, Hello Again!!) For home use, am driving using 2 x pair of 8ohm JBL Control 1's simultaneously - one wired with expensive "proper" screened cables and one set with cheapo side by side bog wet string capacity standard stuff - seems to remove the bass bias when used together. Its a replacement for a Yamaha, A-S501( v nice amp by the way, till I blew it up) which itself was a replacement for an earlier Denon -from 97!!! - that is still giving sterling service down at Tim's Water into Beer hostelry, which he has has turned into a Dulwich Hamlet shrine of some sort.
The are superb amps, no longer "cutting" edge but really reliable, hard to kill beasts that I would recommend to anyone for pretty much any home application

I found this bargain today in Flashback Records, Angel.View attachment 311319
I used to have a double album with that and Live in Yugoslavia. Sold it when I was skint and unemployed in the early 90s. I miss it. But I did spend the money on drugs, so no regrets. And when I want to listen to So What there's always YouTube:

Absolute towering colossus of a tune. Those three minutes are better than the entire recorded output of the Sex Pistols.

Found this in my garage the other day... I'd totally forgotten about it....

10 disc box set.

View attachment 295396

Eta. Message #420 :cool:
Interesting piece on Morgan Khan of Street Sounds recently:

An affordable way of owning a couple of hens teeth rare songs on wax too.
I think I have five of those tunes on the original vinyl :facepalm: :D Bought the 10 Records 12" of the
Joubert Singers, but was disappointed to find the mix I was really after was the 7" - it's the one used at the end of the Beats film. The 7" now goes for £100 + :(

I found this bargain today in Flashback Records, Angel.View attachment 311319
I have a copy of this album, looking it up on discogs it seems to have leapt up in value recently.

Also, I wasn't aware of this :eek:

There are two versions of this release. Original first release was withdrawn soon after release due to obscenity law problems. It isn't known how many of the first release actually made it into the hands of consumers. Subsequent re-release has some words changed on side 1 track 2 "Animal". The line in the song "I'm a child molester" was changed to "I'm your next door neighbor".

Maybe some of the lyrics of So What seem a little much now too...

And I've fucked a sheep
And I've fucked a goat
I've had my cock right down its throat
So what, so what?
So what, so what, you boring little cunt?

First of two ventures down the hole of bootleg tapes. This was a US college radio broadcast, so not quite as dismal-sounding as those ones recorded on a dictaphone at the gig. Rare artefact of a hometown gig before XTC stopped playing live .20220301_165708.jpg

Bought the 10 Records 12" of the Joubert Singers, but was disappointed to find the mix I was really after was the 7" - it's the one used at the end of the Beats film. The 7" now goes for £100 + :(
found an interesting article about Stand on his Word, and the Larry Levan remix which wasn't a Larry Levan remix at all - presume the mix you're after (the one all the bootlegs claim is the LL remix) is the original Celestial Singers version? TBH both versions are great, but the Celestial Singers is a bit rougher (in a good way) and doesn't have the 80s synth

cool, so yeah ive got the original. i think the video i posted just has an extra few bars of piano at the beginning

The one I'm after is the Ten Records 7" I don't think it's on YouTube. To be honest, I'm not sure it's that different to ska invita's version, with the extra piano. I became a bit obsessed with the tune a few years back and decided the Ten Records 7 was the ultimate version, but given the price it's now going for, I'm happy to hang onto my 12.

The one I'm after is the Ten Records 7" I don't think it's on YouTube. To be honest, I'm not sure it's that different to ska invita's version, with the extra piano. I became a bit obsessed with the tune a few years back and decided the Ten Records 7 was the ultimate version, but given the price it's now going for, I'm happy to hang onto my 12.
Ive just downloaded that track from the BEATS OST and its that same 1982 mix i posted
but looking on discogs the French represses (there are a couple) are both £40

Postie brought me this from (Hebden Bridge) Oxfam today for £5.99...really looking forward to giving this classic a spin tonight.

1646328129015.png

Back
Top Bottom