Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Portugal vs Spain (Group B) - 19:00 - 15/06/2018

For years I've hated Ronaldo and wanted him to fail but the fact is he doesn't he defies the odds especially at his age. So credit where credit is due and also to Portugal the little country that has always been stuck between the huge Atlantic and big Spain . I'm on the coffe and brandy now . They've just put Nightrider on the TV, they love it.

Just seemed a bit churlish. He's just scored an amazing free kick to level the game and make his hattrick and "yeah but he doesn't score many from free kicks you know".

He's scored something like a goal a game for the last five years.

And surely turning up when needed is a good thing?
I saw him score one very similar to that in a CL group game in the Bernabeu against Sporting Lisbon two years ago. Real were losing 1-0 and it was about 90mins - they get a free kick in pretty much the same spot as the one he got tonight, and he stepped up and curls it in over the wall, quite brilliant. So I kinda expected him to do it tonight. It often is 'cometh the hour cometh the man' with him - a mark of a truly special player. (Typically, Real went on to win 2-1 with a brilliant header by Morata on 90+4)

For years I've hated Ronaldo and wanted him to fail but the fact is he doesn't he defies the odds especially at his age. So credit where credit is due and also to Portugal the little country that has always been stuck between the huge Atlantic and big Spain . I'm on the coffe and brandy now . They've just put Nightrider on the TV, they love it.
It's a great country. I miss living there even though I love being in Spain.

He's still not even the best footballer called Ronaldo!
I've been using that line myself for years - but it doesn't ring true any more. Big Fat Ron was unplayable for a couple of seasons and on sporadic occasions thereafter (that Man Utd hat trick, some of WC '02) but Gel Boy has been at that level for years and years. His stats are like something from the 20s or a school team, and he doesn't play as a trad 9 like Mr. De Lima did.

Fat Ron was indeed a genius and in many ways more enjoyable to watch for the slick ball skill and no hissy fits, plus the Brazil of 97-2002 was entirely complimentary to that, but Ronaldo is way more impressive for his sheer consistency of form and hard work which has rightly won him the amount of ballon d’ors he’s got.

I miss that passion for the game.

Before I moved to Porto I thought football was horrendously boring. Seeing the passion and great love for the game I started to watch it with friends. Although I don't have the depth of knowledge many have, I am now a dedicated follower of os Dragoes. Thanks entirely to the passion of the Portuguese.

Who will be feeling better about last night's match?

Traditionally it's the team who get the last-minute equaliser, where the other team feels the lost a win. That's probably the case here too, but Spain came back from a goal down twice and then took the lead, and arguably each of the goals has a bit of a caveat about it - a (soft) penalty, a 'keeper slip and a free kick you just have to say "yeah, fair enough" (although I suppose you could argue they know what he can do so shouldn't be giving away free kicks in those areas).

He's not even a footballer, he's a professional diver who occasionally kicks a ball or two.
Theres also something very dodgy about his attitude to parenting. He's a single dad, who refuses to tell his son who his mother is and allows no contact between the two!

I think it's fair to say that, like a lot of people, Ronaldo is a complicated person who contains many contradictions and is both a decent human being and an utter wanker.

It's possible to be both, we don't have to choose.

Last edited:
Reactions: mod
Come on, Ronaldo is absolutely fucking great. I hate Real Madrid. And I hate some things about him. But give me a fucking break.... bad parent blah blah blah. That's some low fucking blows. He is no where near the shittest person of the field in almost every match, and there are many many players who are FAR worse people than he is. How many don't even see their various children... Yeah ok he pisses people off but you have to respect him... up yours, haters!

Also, he likes Baked Beans a lot (saw some documentary time ago of his house in Madeira and all the cupboards were full of beans and spaghetti hoops and all this other shite. Definitely a beans and then cheese man!). How anyone could watch that match and knock his talent I have no idea -- truly one of the greatest footballers ever.

What remains to be seen is if he can keep it up. Without Ronaldo Portugal aren't going anywhere. Spain are no where near as reliant on any one single player.

Back
Top Bottom