Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ponds are great

When I bought a house with a great pond there were some apparently Italian frogs in residence.

They would call out rrr rrr grrick grrick grrik ..

For some reason they either didn't stay or died out because the next year there was no sign of them.

Not sure if I'd claim this is a pond, but it's a new water feature. Half a whisky barrel sunk into the soil with a pond liner, stones, water and marginal plants. It's only been there for about 4 weeks, and the local blackbirds keep battering the plants, but there's already a lot going on.

Attachments

• IMG_20220519_172920892_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220519_172920892_HDR~2.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 26
Are they frogs or toads?

My pond gets taken over by toads every year, who are very noisy for several weeks, and then wander off to which garden/allotment they live in, leaving tadpoles behind.

The pond is currently full of tadpoles, with an occasional noisy toad plaintively calling for a mate.

Are they frogs or toads?

My pond gets taken over by toads every year, who are very noisy for several weeks, and then wander off to which garden/allotment they live in, leaving tadpoles behind.

The pond is currently full of tadpoles, with an occasional noisy toad plaintively calling for a mate.
They're definitely frogs. I found a toad tho

Attachments

• IMG_20220518_162952_147.jpg
    IMG_20220518_162952_147.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 15
O, me too, contadino. I also did the half-barrel thing about 6 weeks ago. I definitely think it is the best thing in the garden this year. I have fish in it so I have a filter...which makes a lovely trickling noise. The whole things feels oasis-like. I am absolutely loving it (and so are the birds)

My problem with my pond was that it hadn't been cleaned out for ages and had a lot of silt. Consequently the filter used to get blocked which was an emergency because it cut off the circulation and thus the fresh and oxygenated water on which the fish depended.

I was the only one who knew how to clean the filter.

I had three types of fish in my pond, two massive coy carp, four or five medium sized gold fish and a whole load of smaller gold fish.

On one day of my residence next to my pond there was a torrential rainstorm and when I went back to the pond all the numerous smallest gold fish had expired and were floating belly up.

It seemed odd that it was only them that were affected. I never found a satisfactory explanation.

Back
Top Bottom