Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political journalists boycott No 10 briefing after PM's aide tries to ban selected reporters - Guardian

editor

hiraethified
Some real shitty Trump-style stuff going on already then

Political journalists walked out of No 10 Downing Street this afternoon in protest at the government planning to give a briefing on the EU only to selected reporters – banning The Mirror, i, Huffington Post, PoliticsHome, Independent and others from attending.

Reporters on the invited list were asked to stand on one side of a rug in the foyer of No 10, while those not allowed in were asked by security to stand on the other side.

After one of Boris Johnson’s most senior advisers, Lee Cain, told the banned reporters they must leave the building, the rest of the journalists decided to walk out rather than allow Downing Street to choose who scrutinises and reports on the government.

Among those who refused the briefing and walked out included the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg, ITV’s Robert Peston and political journalists from the Daily Mail, Telegraph, the Sun, Financial Times, and Guardian.

The briefing was due to be given by government officials, who are meant to be neutral, rather than political.

The tactics from No 10 mirror those of Donald Trump in the US who has been known to try to exclude journalists from reporting on his activities and represents an escalation of Johnson’s tensions with the media, which have been ramping up in recent weeks.

All this jolly bluster and so on that Boris Johnson wants to put out does not disguise the concrete fact that all Tories (and yes I believe every body who votes for them) are complete and utter cunts of the first order with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
I hope every single Tory who is interviewed by anybody henceforward should be asked and pressed in detail about this event. Don't let them slither away to whatever evil agenda they want to talk about, but ask them over and over again about why some reporters were acceptable and some weren't.

Not only is it imitating Trump but it's also really badly done. Just springing this on journos lets them immediately take the high ground and all walk out of a briefing that wasn't going to say a lot of any importance anyway - and from now on there's a precedent been set.

At least Trump revoked credentials beforehand for longer periods like his campaign, making the networks and publishers choose between having access to a huge amount of content for them vs showing solidarity (and we know how that tends to go). In fact while he's been at the white house he's made noises about it but not generally done anything; there's no point if your supporters are primed to treat negative press as fake news anyway, in fact it would be counterproductive.

Mirror has covered it with the gravity it deserves. This is fucking outrageous.

Journalists from every major national broadcaster and newspaper walked out of No 10 today after the Government tried to pick and choose which media outlets it briefed.

Broadcasters including political editors Laura Kuenssberg from the BBC, Robert Peston from ITV and Beth Rigby from Sky News were among those who left in protest.

Around a dozen journalists from organisations including the Financial Times, the Sun and the Telegraph had received an official invitation from Downing Street to attend the briefing with David Frost, Boris Johnson's Europe advisor, on the PM's post-Brexit trade plans.

But political editors from other publications - who have previously been invited to non-political briefings given by senior civil servants on government premises - also turned up.

They were granted entry into No 10 but a security official then read out a list of names for those who were allowed entry to the briefing - with those from left-of-centre outlets forced to stand on the opposite side of the entrance hall.
Those banned from the briefing, in a move reminiscent of Donald Trump's administration which has tried to exclude journalists from critical organisations, included The Daily Mirror, The i, Huffington Post and the Independent.

Mr Johnson's head of communications Lee Cain arrived and told reporters: "Those who are invited to the briefing can stay, everyone else I'm afraid will have to leave."

After journalists pointed out that briefings with civil servants - as non-political representatives of government - had always been open to the full spectrum of media outlets, he replied: "We're welcome to brief whoever we like."

The journalists then walked out of No 10, in the latest escalation of Mr Johnson's tensions with the media

Seems that this has been a tactic for some time- just blown up now because it was in public. How many of the reporters who walked out in solidarity today secretly attended selected briefings before this and tacitly supported the subterfuge ?

Seems that this has been a tactic for some time- just blown up now because it was in public. How many of the reporters who walked out in solidarity today secretly attended selected briefings before this and tacitly supported the subterfuge ?
Basically all of them. It's just generally done through the medium of "sources", making the individual feel they are privileged, as well as being deniable. Not this shit.

Wonder if this has anything to do with Dominic Cummings?

He’s been frequently ambushed on the streets by reporters rather than booking sit down interviews, I assume the former is to paint him in as bad a light as possible.

Nonetheless, banning far left news organisations from press briefings is a bad move bound to open a can of worms.

He’s been frequently ambushed on the streets by reporters rather than booking sit down interviews, I assume the former is to paint him in as bad a light as possible.

Nonetheless, banning far left news organisations from press briefings is a bad move bound to open a can of worms.

Which Far Left news organisations were being banned?

far left news organisations
:hmm:

Where does it state, in any of the coverage anywhere, that 'far left news organisations' have been banned?

You don't believe in left or right though - just as every far-right clown who thinks they're pulling the wool over peoples eyes claims.

This one should have been gone by now.

Where does it state, in any of the coverage anywhere, that 'far left news organisations' have been banned?

I saw Huff Post mentioned whom I assume are a far left media entity?

Happy to stand corrected.

Hasn't there always been some sort of approved list or could any old journo turn up until now? I presume you couldn't just wander in saying your from Mixmag or something.

Back
Top Bottom