Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Poland - What to chomp (and anything else)

Maybe they just have good drone pilots ? :)
They seem to have managed to somehow cut out the communist era stuff, and everything looks cleaner and better maintained from the air. Also, I was there in October, so the leaves were all gone. It had a bleak charm, though. Lots of great bars and restaurants, microbreweries all over the place. Awful gridlocked traffic, though.

When I went to Krakow the food choices were unlimited:

French
Corsican
Italian
Chinese
Indian
Kebabs
Etc.
Oh and even some Polish

The Peasants Kitchen (Chłopskie Jadło) was an interesting place for traditional Polish Food.

If there was thing that (briefly) annoyed me, it was finding a Costa Coffee & McDonalds just inside the city walls.

But the main square didn't have one single bit of chain crap, that I could see. I'm not a snob, I eat in McDonalds all the time, but it does of course ruin ancient stuff.

Milan, on the other hand... oh Milan. At the Duomo, in amongst more video advertising screens than I could count, I spotted three MacDonalds and one Burger King. Oh Milan... you don't need to do that. :(

They seem to have managed to somehow cut out the communist era stuff, and everything looks cleaner and better maintained from the air. Also, I was there in October, so the leaves were all gone. It had a bleak charm, though. Lots of great bars and restaurants, microbreweries all over the place. Awful gridlocked traffic, though.

I kind of figured the drone shots were all dawn... empty roads. ;)

Or, put it another way, would you rather go on holiday in, say, Birmingham? :D
I reckon you could make Birmingham look nice from the air with a bit of judicious editing. The Bullring will look all shiny in the sun. Bit of a glide over leafy Edgbaston...

I reckon you could make Birmingham look nice from the air with a bit of judicious editing. The Bullring will look all shiny in the sun. Bit of a glide over leafy Edgbaston...

Might have to edit in the 1700s old town square, the multiple rivers... ;)

(I can legitimately hate Birmingham I think. I lived there once. I went back for the first time the other day to meet a mate. "I'm at New Street". I'd already warned her I wouldn't be able to get from the station to New Street. And I couldn't. Try meeting meeting up with someone in Birmingham, when all you can say is "I'm in a shopping centre". It took us 20 minutes. She was 100 metres away. In the shopping centre.)

If there was thing that (briefly) annoyed me, it was finding a Costa Coffee & McDonalds just inside the city walls.

But the main square didn't have one single bit of chain crap, that I could see. I'm not a snob, I eat in McDonalds all the time, but it does of course ruin ancient stuff.

Milan, on the other hand... oh Milan. At the Duomo, in amongst more video advertising screens than I could count, I spotted three MacDonalds and one Burger King. Oh Milan... you don't need to do that. :(
Ancient stuff?
The main square was redeveloped about 15 years ago using European funding. It ain't that ancient.

The old town is where the old stuff is at.

Ancient stuff?
The main square was redeveloped about 15 years ago using European funding. It ain't that ancient.

The old town is where the old stuff is at.

Milan, or do you mean Krakow?

If you mean Milan... that explains stuff. But the station was the same... there were giant revolving advertising things right where people wanted to walk, more giant advertising screens. It's a station that should be on par with Grand Central (Terminal, Manhattan - not the Birmingham shopping centre). Those vast arched ceilings and those amazing staircases. Should be a transport showpiece of Milan... but maybe that's just me.

As it happens, I went - more luck than judgement - straight to Navigli... which I liked. :)

Milan, or do you mean Krakow?

If you mean Milan... that explains stuff. But the station was the same... there were giant revolving advertising things right where people wanted to walk, more giant advertising screens. It's a station that should be on par with Grand Central (Terminal, Manhattan - not the Birmingham shopping centre). Those vast arched ceilings and those amazing staircases. Should be a transport showpiece of Milan... but maybe that's just me.

As it happens, I went - more luck than judgement - straight to Navigli... which I liked. :)
I meant Krakow main square.

I meant Krakow main square.

This is post 2000? Or are we talking cross purposes?

1200px-Sukiennice_and_Main_Market_Square_Krakow_Poland.JPG

90s prefab? How do you explain the oldest building in the main square dating back to the 11th century? The curch of St. Adalbert:

Church of St. Adalbert, Kraków - Wikipedia
I was messing about.

However, you will find a EU blue funding plaque in the middle of the square. Seen it with my own eyes.

Couldn’t tell you how the money was spent but my joke is that they rebuilt from scratch rather than funding beautification or restoration works.

I'm thinking of doing a Poland holiday... I have been to Warsaw a long time ago and would like to go back. Been to Krakow a couple of times and ended up in Wroclaw by accident once.

My vague plan was Warsaw then Gdansk then off to Berlin but my other half has never been to Krakow so think that should be included.

Any other tips or suggestions of where to visit?

The nicest holiday bit of Poland for me are the Slav hills (Zakopane) in winter or summer, or the lakes (Mazury) summer, Sopot + coast by the beach in summer....Ukraine/Blearus border for wilderness but then again I dont really like towns/cities. Bit boring apart from drinking in

I was messing about.

However, you will find a EU blue funding plaque in the middle of the square. Seen it with my own eyes.

Couldn’t tell you how the money was spent but my joke is that they rebuilt from scratch rather than funding beautification or restoration works.

They did not rebuild from scratch. I suspect EU money was associated with the excavation work when they found the original market square with houses, basements and streets some 5 metres under the current level (it's an underground museum now).

There has been lots of EU money since 2004 (when Poland joined the EU) to restore (as in clean up) a lot of the buildings in the old town as they were either in a state of disrepair or damaged by pollution.

There has been lots of EU money since 2004 (when Poland joined the EU) to restore (as in clean up) a lot of the buildings in the old town as they were either in a state of disrepair or damaged by pollution.
As well as the old industrial smog problem (now largely sorted) Krakow has the problem of people still burning coal in winter, and as it sits in a valley the smoke tends to just sit there. Not healthy...and dirty

As well as the old industrial smog problem (now largely sorted) Krakow has the problem of people still burning coal in winter, and as it sits in a valley the smoke tends to just sit there. Not healthy...and dirty

Not just coal, but all sorts of rubbish, like tyres and plastic. New laws are coming into place but it is slow going, however more and more of the city is being linked to the communal heating system and there will be a ban of burning solid fuel as a primary heat source from Winter 2019

Last edited:
I'm thinking of doing a Poland holiday... I have been to Warsaw a long time ago and would like to go back. Been to Krakow a couple of times and ended up in Wroclaw by accident once.

My vague plan was Warsaw then Gdansk then off to Berlin but my other half has never been to Krakow so think that should be included.

Any other tips or suggestions of where to visit?

In warmer months I highly recommend both Kazimerz Dolny and Sandomierz. Both small compact and beautiful towns full of history.

In particular you should visit the cathedral in Sandomierz and feast your eyes on the ghastly torture scenes plastered on the murals on the walls.

Thing is, this one is really tame. You have to go see it in the flesh so to speak.

Meczennicy_Sandomierscy.jpg

In warmer months I highly recommend both Kazimerz Dolny and Sandomierz. Both small compact and beautiful towns full of history.

In particular you should visit the cathedral in Sandomierz and feast your eyes on the ghastly torture scenes plastered on the murals on the walls.

Thing is, this one is really tame. You have to go see it in the flesh so to speak.

View attachment 124796

Is that the picture of that church that got sacked by the Mongols?

Is that the picture of that church that got sacked by the Mongols?

The pictures are mainly of Christian martydom:

Roman Martyrology - Wikipedia

There are however a few which are a little contraversial depicting blood libel paintings:

Blood libel - Wikipedia

I think the cathedral was built a fair bit after the mongol invasions, but whether it was sacked in later years I couldn't say as the Golden Horde did last a fair while.

Would Zakopane be just a big snow if someone went at the end if Feb? No idea what sort of clothes/footwear would be required? I don't really do mountains!

Zakopane is in the Tatra mountains and will be very cold , it is a mountain resort. I went in the summer and its beautiful for walking in good weather with well marked trails and amazing scenery. Winter will be a different ball game. They have some big ski jumps there , looked really scary! Nice place though.

Hmm that's what I'm worried about :D thought it might be ok to stay there one night....or have a day trip from Krakow. I've never been skiing or done any kind of winter/snow based sports so no idea what would be required.

Its confusing :D and I'm pretty sure I'm being dumb. I guess it's the wrong time of year for a casual visit and a wander around.

A day trip would be ok , the town is small but plenty of places to eat etc, going by train from Krakow is a nice scenic journey but takes a long time, the bus is quicker. I'd go by train and stay a night and get a bus back the next day or something. Eating out etc is cheap there, it's not touristy and aimed at the Polish market.

A day trip would be ok , the town is small but plenty of places to eat etc, going by train from Krakow is a nice scenic journey but takes a long time, the bus is quicker. I'd go by train and stay a night and get a bus back the next day or something. Eating out etc is cheap there, it's not touristy and aimed at the Polish market.
Thank you so much for your help! That fits with the vague plan (Krakow-> Warsaw -> Gdansk) .. hopefully it's not too snow filled in Zakopane :D

Might sack off a day or two in Gdansk and spend a bit more time down south.

Back
Top Bottom