Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Poland - What to chomp (and anything else)

paolo

I’m doing a European Rail tour. It will take me through Poland, a full day/night in Krakow.

A polish friend says “oh it’s all kebabs now”... I feel like, given my brief stay over, I should try some local food.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Low end - you will not beat the pierogi - meat, cheese, or plum dumplings basically. I did a TEFLA course there back in the 90s, and there were some proper greasy spoon type joints selling them, guess you may have to get away from the town center for that now.

Oh, I love eastern european food, all things pierogi and borscht and other yummy goodness.
Haven't been to Krakow myself, but when in Warsaw a few years ago there were still plenty of traditional milk bars around. And a brief google brings up a wealth on information on the ones in Krakow.
Testing Social Title
Poland’s milk bar kids help sustain a culinary institution
If you're still in London and want to whet your appetite, look no further than Matulka in Streatham. :)

Craft beer and posh burgers served on wooden boards. All very tasty and less than half the price of the UK. Poland is the place to embrace your inner hipster.

0F62D584-249B-4F08-9142-C1B88F24C53A.jpeg

I’ll qualify some of that.

There was a fuck up there once, and even though id ordered a pierogi main, they brought a pierogi starter. At a work do. Which was fine, tbh. I was skint.

So I ate it, and then they brought the pierogi main. Sth like £15 for 9 fat pierogi. With not much else. #toomuch

Imu bigots is one of a billion one-pot leftover meat based dishes. Ime, it’s great for the first 4 mouthfuls, then swiftly becomes rayt samey. You might hit a good one tho.

Next time I go, I’m ordering potato pancakes. Unless I’m in a “feeling fat” phase.

Krakow is an ace, beautiful city.

The Salt mines & the jewish qtr in Krakow are of interest. It's a big student city with lots to do.

The whole jewish question in Poland is problematic to say the least. stuff to read up on.

Out of town head for Zakopane in the mountains, i'm sure it's a cheap train ride away.

Ooh. Lots to work through. :)

I've read that Bigos is something that's such a "home cook", that any restaurant version won't cut it. Sounds great though.

Be careful with the pierogi. I went to an ace little restaurant in Krakow that was in the guidebooks. All benches and canteen style, and cheap as cheap. But no English menus, sadly, so my ex ended up ordering something sweet instead. It looked a lot like pierogi, but not knowing the language it might have been something else. It was full of currents/raisons/etc and was awful...at least, as a main meal :D

My food was lovely, but I don't remember what it was.

I liked the crusty (very crusty) breads that are sold on every street corner in Krakow. Like a cross between a bagel and a pretzel.

Be careful with the pierogi. I went to an ace little restaurant in Krakow that was in the guidebooks. All benches and canteen style, and cheap as cheap. But no English menus, sadly, so my ex ended up ordering something sweet instead. It looked a lot like pierogi, but not knowing the language it might have been something else. It was full of currents/raisons/etc and was awful...at least, as a main meal :D

My food was lovely, but I don't remember what it was.

I liked the crusty (very crusty) breads that are sold on every street corner in Krakow. Like a cross between a bagel and a pretzel.

Ooh, I like the idea of the breads. Do you just chow down, or have/find something to dip?

If in Krakov, be sure to drop in to Propaganda for a vodka after your eats, it's located in the Kazmierz area and is a blast for choice. Also, stays open well late. Or it did, when we visited few years back.

I have *so* little time. Just one night really. I'm trying to compress. Some proper polish food (I have budget, money no problem within reason), but also to boot a locals/"speakeasy" bar/pub.

(Easy patron, yeah thanks. :) )

Well, after the salt mine - which was fab - I had Pierogi. Which to my eye looked like a great mass of nothing, but on a cold snowy day, was a perfect steaming pile of meat and carbs. :D

Oh and Poland... omg... how beautiful... 4k, rubs tears... Wroclaw is next on the list.

When I went to Krakow the food choices were unlimited:

French
Corsican
Italian
Chinese
Indian
Kebabs
Etc.
Oh and even some Polish

The Peasants Kitchen (Chłopskie Jadło) was an interesting place for traditional Polish Food.

Back
Top Bottom