Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Poland V Russia

Result?

• Total voters

friedaweed

Me and me girl named Jane
Well lets hope things are better on the pitch than they currently are off it.
MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
  • Poland & Russia have met in three friendlies since the Soviet Union dissolved in 1991, recording one win each.
  • They have met twice in international tournaments: the 1972 Olympic Games (a 2-1 win for Poland, who went on to take the gold medal) and 10 years later at the 1982 World Cup (a 0-0 draw that put Poland into the semi-finals and, at the same time, eliminated the Soviets).
  • In total, Poland have met the Soviet Union/Russia 17 times. Russia have won nine tim, Poland four.
  • Dick Advocaat and Franciszek Smuda played against each other in the North American Soccer League on 14 May 1978. Advocaat's Chicago Sting beat Smuda's Los Angeles Aztecs 2-1.
Poland
  • Franciszek Smuda's side have lost just once in 13 games, a run lasting a year. Their only defeat in that time was a 2-0 loss to Italy in November 2011.
  • They are ranked 62nd in the latest Fifa rankings, the lowest of any country at Euro 2012.
  • Poland await their first win at the European Championships win. They have drawn two, lost two.
  • They converted 2.6% of shots into goals at Euro 2008, the worst record at the tournament, and only scored one of 13 attempts at goal against Greece in their Euro 2012 opener.
Russia
  • Russia are unbeaten in their last 15 matches, winning eight of them. This is their longest non-losing streak since going 17 matches unbeaten matches in a row between 1995 and 1996 (winning 15).
  • Aleksandr Kerzhakov had seven shots off target against Czech Republic, a record for any one player in a European Championship match.
  • They had 58% possession in their 4-1 win against Czech Republic - and 17 shots on target.

I've got a bet on Russia but I'd love it if Poland beat Russia!

I've got a bottle of Tyskie, a bottle of Russian Vodka and am eating Flemish stew so I'm all set for the match!

(Think Russia are just too good for Poland but who knows on home turf and a bit of a grudge match?!)

Can't see anything else then a Russian win, Poland just arnt up to much. Also it may kick off in the stadium.

I'm going Russia 3-1

Should be a good game as long as the inevitable fighting doesn't spill onto the pitch and get the game abandoned :(

My heart wants Polska to win. In usual Frieda style I will have another glass of wine and then my head will stop telling me stupid things like Russia are so much better :D

Thought someone said Putin had had Kerzhakov taken out the back and disposed of? How's he gettin a game ahead of Pavlyuchenko?!

Back
Top Bottom