Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

PLAY-OFF FINAL: Dulwich Hamlet v Hendon - Monday 7th May 3pm

Really was a great day yesterday and all seemed to go off without any trouble. Spoke to a colleague who was at the slough playoff game and they had big issues getting people into the the ground, fans were segregated and a few arrests following bottle throwing incidents.

There is a lot be said about doing thing so the right way.

Really was a great day yesterday and all seemed to go off without any trouble. Spoke to a colleague who was at the slough playoff game and they had big issues getting people into the the ground, fans were segregated and a few arrests following bottle throwing incidents.

There is a lot be said about doing thing so the right way.

Woking :confused: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Who were they? They clearly had no idea how to film at a football game. I'm sure they shot some amazing footage but I'd rather be able to enjoy the game without their constant distractions. If they're coming again, perhaps someone from the club could have a word?
I go to live events to experience the moment. I sometimes take a few photographs, but I'm always mindful of those around me and of not getting in their way. It's an increasing source of personal annoyance that some people seem to think that recording the occasion somehow prioritises them over those who are just watching. You often get it at county cricket, with semi-professional photographers wandering around in the middle of an over with enormous cameras on tripods, sometimes deciding that the perfect spot to stop and take some shots is right in front of where people are sitting.

Several years ago I was at a pub on a hot summer's day where a live band was playing on a Sunday afternoon in the beer garden. A friend of mine, who is a very large man and former Royal Marines officer, very politely asked a bloke who stood right in front of him with iphone raised aloft to please move or put his arm down as he was blocking the view. This man looked at him with utter disdain and replied contemptuously "I'm filming the band", before turning away again and carrying on. My friend, without saying another word, grabbed his wrist from behind, wrenched the phone form his hand, and flung it into the bushes around ten yards away. The offender stood speechless for what seemed like ages, his mouth opening and closing like a goldfish, before scuttling off to retrieve his phone.

garth-live-in-the-now.jpg

I go to live events to experience the moment. I sometimes take a few photographs, but I'm always mindful of those around me and of not getting in their way. It's an increasing source of personal annoyance that some people seem to think that recording the occasion somehow prioritises them over those who are just watching. You often get it at county cricket, with semi-professional photographers wandering around in the middle of an over with enormous cameras on tripods, sometimes deciding that the perfect spot to stop and take some shots is right in front of where people are sitting.

Several years ago I was at a pub on a hot summer's day where a live band was playing on a Sunday afternoon in the beer garden. A friend of mine, who is a very large man and former Royal Marines officer, very politely asked a bloke who stood right in front of him with iphone raised aloft to please move or put his arm down as he was blocking the view. This man looked at him with utter disdain and replied contemptuously "I'm filming the band", before turning away again and carrying on. My friend, without saying another word, grabbed his wrist from behind, wrenched the phone form his hand, and flung it into the bushes around ten yards away. The offender stood speechless for what seemed like ages, his mouth opening and closing like a goldfish, before scuttling off to retrieve his phone.

Quite. I took bottles of champagne to the East Thurrock play-off final, and brought them home unopened. They also went to Bognor Regis and were unopened. But not yesterday. Yesterday corks exploded and everyone got soaked.

I am sure success tastes sweeter when you have worked and waited for it, and have we waited.

The success was built on the achievement of previous Dulwich teams. It was fantastic to see ex-players Phil Wilson, Peter Adeniyi, Lewis Gonsalves, Kevin James and others joining the celebrations. Legends.

This is what it is to be a Dulwich Hamlet player. The fans never forget you.

Last edited:
They even did that daft 'ref picks the football up from a special stand' thing when the teams came on. That's all well and good, but if we're going to get that, where were the confetti cannons?

Did it in previous finals iirc

I
Had a good view and it looked like a goal to me but, you know, whatevs.
Looked at the linesman and he was up with the play, but that was the same linesman who ignored Tangara being 3 yards off his line for the two penalty saves! We scored anyway before the ball went dead so ultimately it didn't cost us a goal. That Clunis shot that came off the bar would have been a truly sensational winner had it gone in and we'd stayed ahead.

Here's a splendidly wobbly video from a well known poster here, with top notch cowbell action from another :)

I've only missed a few games but when did this 'oh lay oh lay' chant start up? I really like it but never heard it before (you can hear it from 1:14 onwards).

Here's a splendidly wobbly video from a well known poster here, with top notch cowbell action from another :)

I've only missed a few games but when did this 'oh lay oh lay' chant start up? I really like it but never heard it before (you can hear it from 1:14 onwards).

Fucks sake. Must have been fun. Imagine being on one of those buses, on your way home from the shops and coming across that scene. fecking brilliant!

Say 10.30 on Monday morning. Somewhere in a Nunhead garden by Christian Burt

Somewhat too late for anyone to get the third line correct it seems

Are you sure? I think the two Whitehawk fans started singing "oh lay, oh lay" and the Dulwich fans added the "and we follow Gavin Rose" bit. On Monday for the first time.

Are you sure? I think the two Whitehawk fans started singing "oh lay, oh lay" and the Dulwich fans added the "and we follow Gavin Rose" bit. On Monday for the first time.

Of course i'm sure. Not my fault if the peripheries got the words wrong.

Not that it really matters cos everyone's a hero etc, but... Looking back at the highlights (courtesy of Back of the Net) I think it's really hard to pick a man of the match. I probably wouldn't go Tangara, in hindsight. Chambers and Hayles were excellent when we were under any pressure, in my opinion. Carew got a bit of stick in the commentary but I thought he was brilliantly committed all over the pitch - a very good but different kind of performance from him. Ny always dangerous, Reisse lively. I think Chambers edges it.

Looked at the linesman and he was up with the play, but that was the same linesman who ignored Tangara being 3 yards off his line for the two penalty saves! We scored anyway before the ball went dead so ultimately it didn't cost us a goal. That Clunis shot that came off the bar would have been a truly sensational winner had it gone in and we'd stayed ahead.

I was in the corner with LinoIan so we had a good view of it. I'd say not over the line. But like you say, whatevs - we went and scored anyway!

Tangara was certainly off his line very early on the pens but most 'keepers do the same these days. It would have been harsh to call him out for that. My only concern was Tangara looking at the ref after each of his two saves as if to say 'Was that ok, ref?' thereby giving him the opportunity to have it re-taken. The ref clearly didn't want to make any huge, contentious decisions like that though, thank heavens! :)

Not that it really matters cos everyone's a hero etc, but... Looking back at the highlights (courtesy of Back of the Net) I think it's really hard to pick a man of the match. I probably wouldn't go Tangara, in hindsight. Chambers and Hayles were excellent when we were under any pressure, in my opinion. Carew got a bit of stick in the commentary but I thought he was brilliantly committed all over the pitch - a very good but different kind of performance from him. Ny always dangerous, Reisse lively. I think Chambers edges it.

Nathan Green MOM for me. Beast of a performance. To get up and down the pitch for 120 minutes in that heat...and score a pen. Top performance. He was a constant threat and beat his man consistenly to get a cross in or retain possession.

Hard to decide between the the three centre backs, but Chambers was maasive. He's come so far in last 18 months.

Tangara was clearly at fault for the goal and took a LOT of stick from the Hendon fans for the rest of the game (I spent most of the first half down that end of the ground). Aside from that error he came back into the game pretty strongly and obviously ended the hero, which was a nice bit of poetic justice.

"I was in the corner with LinoIan so we had a good view of it. I'd say not over the line. But like you say, whatevs - we went and scored anyway"

There was NO WAY it was over the line...because: ! I only got to see extra time, what with the '50/50' & helping to count the gate money!;)

Reactions: SDE
Tangara was clearly at fault for the goal and took a LOT of stick from the Hendon fans for the rest of the game (I spent most of the first half down that end of the ground). Aside from that error he came back into the game pretty strongly and obviously ended the hero, which was a nice bit of poetic justice.
We stood with the Hendon fans too, too busy down our end. C was most indignant at the dodgy keeper stuff and was shouting, “not so dodgy now Hendon!” when he made the penalty saves :D

I thought the singing was bloody incredible throughout the game. There's always a fear when non regular fans turn up for the big occasions things are going to get quiet but that was just about the loudest and most non-stop chanting I've heard for a long time. What a fantastic day that was.

Nathan Green MOM for me. Beast of a performance. To get up and down the pitch for 120 minutes in that heat...and score a pen. Top performance. He was a constant threat and beat his man consistenly to get a cross in or retain possession.

Hard to decide between the the three centre backs, but Chambers was maasive. He's come so far in last 18 months.

Agreed - Green has been absolutely outstanding recently. Personally I thought Acheampong was MOTM but as you say, very hard to pick between the players. Great effort all round

I thought the singing was bloody incredible throughout the game. There's always a fear when non regular fans turn up for the big occasions things are going to get quiet but that was just about the loudest and most non-stop chanting I've heard for a long time. What a fantastic day that was.

It's the loudest I've ever heard our fans - easily. I reckon the roof over the terracing helps with that too.

Back
Top Bottom