Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Places to live near UCL

It really depends on how far you want to travel as London has lots of green space both north and south of the river, many within bus or tube reach of the centre. Sorry I can't be more helpful but you're not giving us very much to go on.

within 40 minutes from central London

Kings Cross was notorious in the 90s - I worked around there then - used to be prostitutes plying their trade outside the station, and herion users shooting up behind the town hall - it is nothing like that now - it has been cleaned up proper

The heroin users shooting up along the canal got pretty grim in the late 90s - I remember someone shooting up and a large arch of blood coming out of their arm and hitting a passerby.

The shitting, shagging, shooting up and shouting got quite wearing after a while. I had a birds eye view from my desk at a very posh branding company. Clients thought our building/company restaurant was amazing until they had to interact with the local community in any way..

Guys thanks for the input, I do not see how I came across as snobbish? Being a woman in a new city, one as London I would like to be safe. Is that a crime. Sorry if I offended anyone :(

£2k a month for accommodation? Are you serious or just in possession of daddy's trust fund?

Cami, do you know any other students/people from Panama that are currently living in London? If you do it may be worth talking to them, your other option is to approach your University for advice or links to places to stay. A quick search on their website should give you a contact.

London is a great place, but it is daunting trying to find the right place to live etc etc, I would suggest looking at flats close to your Universities for now, then perhaps moving further afield once you are settled and have a better idea of the areas you do or don't like. Rightmove.co.uk is a good site for rental properties.

Good luck

what others have said about renting a temporary place (eg short stay hostel) then finding a more long term place

You may not have meant to offend but having £2000 a month to spend on rent is out of the budget of most people on these boards and that lack of awareness of peoples circumstances (the large majority of londoners to be honest) might offend people

This is also a community board rather than a one off resource for flat hunting so that is also a reason behind peoples responses

you are welcome to stay if you want to take notice of the community and join in.
good luck flat hunting too

So myself and another girl 23 will be moving to London to do our masters in UCL and LSE respectively, we have a budget of up to 2000 per month. We want to live in a safe and nice area within our budget that is nearish our uni's. I understand Camden and Kings Cross is near but I have heard that these places are notorious for drug use, prostitution and things like that. I also was told Elephant and Castle is a big NO NO as well as Shepard's Bush. Chelsea and Notting Hill is a bit far and out of budget. Which areas would you recommend?

Canada Water? St George's Wharf?

Thanks11
what's wrong with simply contacting the accommodation office at ucl?

Guys thanks for the input, I do not see how I came across as snobbish? Being a woman in a new city, one as London I would like to be safe. Is that a crime. Sorry if I offended anyone :(
Telling people that you couldn't possible live in a place where they may well actually live is more than a little snobby (in fact, writing off whole large areas where tens of thousands of people live is massively snobby in itself).

Telling people that you couldn't possible live in a place where they may well actually live is more than a little snobby (in fact, writing off whole large areas where tens of thousands of people live is massively snobby in itself).

TBF all she said was that she'd been told certain areas were bad. I can't see that's particularly snobby tbh.

It wasn't very diplomatic.

Cami - get a London guide, have a good read of it, and hit the rental agencies or whatever. I reckon Greenwich could suit you.

TBF all she said was that she'd been told certain areas were bad. I can't see that's particularly snobby tbh.
(a) I'd say that the idea that cities are full of places that decent people couldn't possibly be expected to live is pretty snobby (b) you don't have to believe every snobby thing you're told by people you know and (c) even if you do, it's totally unnecessary to repeat said opinions on a public forum which includes people in live in the places you're insulting.

(if she'd come on and slagged off Brixton people would've come down a lot harder than this)

The heroin users shooting up along the canal got pretty grim in the late 90s - I remember someone shooting up and a large arch of blood coming out of their arm and hitting a passerby.

The shitting, shagging, shooting up and shouting got quite wearing after a while. I had a birds eye view from my desk at a very posh branding company. Clients thought our building/company restaurant was amazing until they had to interact with the local community in any way..
I worked at the Town Hall then - use to see negotiations between prostitutes and their clients on the steps of the Town Hall Extension - and behind the town hall- near the Dolphin Pub seemed to be a shooting alley for smack - it was pretty grim

Indeed - I used to avoid walking from Kings Cross Thameslink above ground after say 8 pm to St Pancras - always best to pick ones way through the tube passages as it was so dodgy - open crack smoking on the street even in phone boxes. Question - where did this problem go to ?

as a student at ucl who spent 15 months in the southern bit of kentish town i would highly recommend it. nice high st, very quick access to ucl (the single most important factor imo), close to camden (can't knock camden imo) for going out, primrose hill very close, regents park and the heath not too far. if your based in bloomsbury then i really wouldn't consider somewhere like greenwich, while lovely for what it is you'll spend far too much time commuting across the city. i think west kensington has lovely expensive old houses, but not sure if it even has a high street? email someone to get access to the uol housing database, (http://housing.london.ac.uk/cms/ ) as they often have more private landlord's listings, as opposed to agents (the majority of whom are c*nts). I don't know if its sensible to view/find a flat, and THEN walk around to see if you like the area after, cos, on my budget at least flats have been snapped up immediately, such is the ridiculously high demand. we'd literally have to race other people from the viewing back to the estate agents to see who can put money down first to secure it. maybe this won't be the case on your budget but i'd recommend going to an area first, deciding if you like it and then look for flats so you can be sure you want to take it when you come across something suitable to you. flat hunting is truly the biggest ball ache in my experience so wish you the best of luck

I worked at the Town Hall then - use to see negotiations between prostitutes and their clients on the steps of the Town Hall Extension - and behind the town hall- near the Dolphin Pub seemed to be a shooting alley for smack - it was pretty grim
"on the steps of the town hall extension"? councillors / council staff negotiating away?

Indeed - I used to avoid walking from Kings Cross Thameslink above ground after say 8 pm to St Pancras - always best to pick ones way through the tube passages as it was so dodgy - open crack smoking on the street even in phone boxes. Question - where did this problem go to ?
Good question, not sure where they all went - there are some issues further up from Kings Cross, towards Camden Town I guess, but not as bad as 90s Kings Cross - I never had any bother there tbf - often stumbled around there at closing time :D

I went out with a woman from West Kensington once - it didn't end well - always had a bad feeling about the place since :D

Foxtons. They only take on staff who genuinely care about people, are prepared to see half of their commissions donated to charity, and want an ethical dual-fuel Mini.
And who are about to launch on the stock exchange and make megabucks for those who control it.

Back
Top Bottom