Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Phillip Schofield leaves This Morning

Generally when people say they are feeling suicidal, I think it's best that we take that at face value.

Or are you suggesting that he's exaggerating or even making the whole thing up?

And how do you know he hasn't sought "proper help"?
Maybe I'm just overly cynical, and of course I don't know, but I would tend to think he's exaggerating, at the very least. Why do you think that's so unlikely? This is a man who has lied about everything up to this point. All that we know has emerged despite his attempts to cover it up. So what other card is left for him to play now?

I'm sure he's not a very happy bunny at the moment. But again, this is because his lies have unravelled, not because he's struggled for years with depression. If he really is at serious risk, this is hardly the best step to take.

I'm sure he's not a very happy bunny at the moment. But again, this is because his lies have unravelled, not because he's struggled for years with depression.
People who have lived in the closet for decades because of societal expectations/prejudices against gay people in the public sphere are notoriously untroubled by mental health problems of course.

I feel really sad for him, yeah, he's broken some work rule about not having relationships with colleagues. That's the only thing he has done wrong in terms of rules/laws... As far as anyone is aware at this point.

So the remaining factor is the age gap, and that's just a question of values and moral standard isnt it and they are all different for everyone so context is so crucial isn't it?

I can't help but imagine a situation with a very confused closeted gay man in the public eye having a lot of very flattering attention from a younger man being a very hard path to navigate and always make the right choices. He's talking about having depression. I've never met a depressed person that didn't make bad choices at some point.

This looks like bullying to me, I feel for Phil at this point, no matter how bad his mistakes

I feel really sad for him, yeah, he's broken some work rule about not having relationships with colleagues. That's the only thing he has done wrong in terms of rules/laws... As far as anyone is aware at this point.

So the remaining factor is the age gap, and that's just a question of values and moral standard isnt it and they are all different for everyone so context is so crucial isn't it?

I can't help but imagine a situation with a very confused closeted gay man in the public eye having a lot of very flattering attention from a younger man being a very hard path to navigate and always make the right choices. He's talking about having depression. I've never met a depressed person that didn't make bad choices at some point.

This looks like bullying to me, I feel for Phil at this point, no matter how bad his mistakes
Issuing a super injunction based on knowingly false depositions?

It's really not hard for rich powerful married men in their 50s to avoid shagging teenage interns :hmm:

However gross Schofield's workplace behaviour was, the consequences do seem to be disproportionate.
Either there's worse to come out.
Or it's homophobia.
Or he's a dickhead who has made loads of enemies.

Or he's a dickhead who has made loads of enemies.

Super-injunction - once that ends/is revoked the people you are aiming to gag with it, the press, well, they're not exactly going to just shrug and forget the whole thing. Hence the cruxifiction happening in such nice places as mail online etc.

Would imagine that's why there was such a fuss about him pushing in to see Brenda's corpse, no other press-pass people got even the slightest comment...

People who have lived in the closet for decades because of societal expectations/prejudices against gay people in the public sphere are notoriously untroubled by mental health problems of course.
That is exactly what I said.

However gross Schofield's workplace behaviour was, the consequences do seem to be disproportionate.

If I work myself to death for a few more decades and never put a foot wrong I still won't have half of what apparently amounts to 'consequences' for the likes of Schofield.

Tawdry maybe but not the savile-esque horror many were salivating over. Unless there's far more to come in the Sunday papers.
Yeah I was going to ask the thread about this cos last night I was seeing some comparisons to Saville on twitter, which tawdry and unedifying as this is doesn't seem to warrant comparison cos Saville comparison notches down the Saville horrendousness. Or am I wrong/misguided etc?

It’s abuse of a position of power. I’d still have a problem with it if it was a powerful older male meeting a teenager girl when she was 15, later getting her a job as a runner, then having an affair with her. It’s about power differentials and the fact the young person was a junior employee in the workplace he was the Big Name in.

So, yes, that’s an issue. Not just a question of taste or something.

(People have mentioned Leonardo DiCaprio’s girlfriends. I don’t know about his relationships, but if the circumstances are the same: if he meets them when they’re underage, then later gets them junior jobs in his workplace, then has affairs with them. If that’s what happens, I have a problem with that too).

Schofield was unfortunate that this broke at the same time or just after as his brother’s conviction. People, seeing his public fallout with Holly Willoughby, I think put it all together and maybe made unjustified conclusions.

Having said all that, though, he is probably right: there probably is some homophobia at play in the way the press are gunning for him. I don’t imagine the editorial rooms have changed much since the George Michael thing. I saw some of the recent documentary and those guys’ views are still repulsive.

They also love a big downfall story. From loveable nice guy to public enemy is their dream story. Sticking the boot in is what they do.

Yeah I was going to ask the thread about this cos last night I was seeing some comparisons to Saville on twitter, which tawdry and unedifying as this is doesn't seem to warrant comparison cos Saville comparison notches down the Saville horrendousness. Or am I wrong/misguided etc?
If Schofield had come to me to tell me about his affair, I'd have advised him to end it pronto and told him that he had been very foolish.

If Savile had come to me to tell me about what he was doing...

The Savile comparison is absurd.

I don't exactly feel sorry for him, but if there's the chance he could be under severe psychological distress, it's time to move on... I don't think what he did quite warrants that. Plus, there must be more important things going on to take up news time with...
Yes, he’s a human being who made a mistake. I don’t think he quite gets what the mistake was (it isn’t exactly, as he puts it, “because I'd broken the rules of having a relationship with someone at work”: it’s his seniority and power versus their junior position and lack of it), but there’s a point where some level of compassion for someone in distress has to kick in.

There is life outside of television presenting, though, Phil. So long as you keep your trousers on around the interns. And all the best with whatever it is.

To me it depends on why he never came out of the closet earlier. Because people can be nasty about then okay but if was just to keep his career at the top going i can't feel sad for him. The industry has lots of openly gay presenters/ stars who are open about it. Not saying it's all like that but we're not stuck in the 70's with regards to attitudes either.

I just find him a smarmy weasel type i never bought into the clean image and housewives favourite bollox, He's shown signs of being devious and sly plus he's media savvy. I'm probably not the best person to give him any benefit of the doubt. He's a shitrag in my book. Every adulterer is imo.

To me it depends on why he never came out of the closet earlier. Because people can be nasty about then okay but if was just to keep his career at the top going i can't feel sad for him. The industry has lots of openly gay presenters/ stars who are open about it. Not saying it's all like that but we're not stuck in the 70's with regards to attitudes either.

I just find him a smarmy weasel type i never bought into the clean image and housewives favourite bollox, He's shown signs of being devious and sly plus he's media savvy. I'm probably not the best person to give him any benefit of the doubt. He's a shitrag in my book. Every adulterer is imo.
It was the come out thats caused the problem. With a lot of support being thrown in the direction of a relationship even he says was ill judged.

Further added to by what his brother was up to, which is unfortunate.

A mess .

It was the come out thats caused the problem.
I guess his hand was forced by the idea of tabloids doing it for him through sordid ' exclusives '.

With a lot of support being thrown in the direction of a relationship even he says was ill judged.
Indeed. Can't help but feel if he was having it with a woman he wouldn't have deemed so brave, quite the opposite me thinks. I can;t see what's so brave about admitting an extra marital affair full stop. There was a victim, his wife but it was the shitbag that courted and got all the sympathy and plaudits. Fucking strange world at times!

Fuck me, I hope you are gay and have been in the closet, coz I haven't and I've no idea what that feel like as a 60yo man

Judgements about why someone isn't coming out sound homophobic to me?

Only reason to criticise someone for not coming out earlier than they did is if they had acted in homophobic ways before coming out. Simon Hughes, for example, is a rank hypocrite. But then they should be called on those homophobic ways regardless. What Hughes did to Peter Tatchell was vile whether Hughes is gay or not.

But bloody hell we're talking about a light entertainment TV presenter here, not a politician.

Fuck me, I hope you are gay and have been in the closet, coz I haven't and I've no idea what that feel like as a 60yo man

Judgements about why someone isn't coming out sound homophobic to me?

Straight people aren't the only ones who judge.

Yes, people shoud not be outed against their will, but sadly poltical motivations and ambitions can get in the way.

Activists would naturally want all LGBTQ people to wear their sexuality with pride, I get it, but many don't want their sexuality to define them or to be known for their sexuality. Some don't even want to define their sexuality.

Tom Daley didn't describe himself as gay when he announced he was in a relationship with another man.

Yes, he’s a human being who made a mistake. I don’t think he quite gets what the mistake was (it isn’t exactly, as he puts it, “because I'd broken the rules of having a relationship with someone at work”: it’s his seniority and power versus their junior position and lack of it)
Sure but this power element is going on at some level in thousands of affairs and relationships at any given time, especially where there's an age gap and you work in the same industry.

Back
Top Bottom