Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Petition: ban disposable vapes

There's also plenty of vape shops in the High Street and places openly selling vapes.

It's crazy, we don't have a single old fashioned tobacconist shop in Worthing, i.e. a shop just selling fags, baccy, pipes, etc.

Every shop that sells fags & baccy also sell vapes, which is fine as the are all fairly low-key outlets, and yet we also have well over a dozen vape only shops, all heavily promoting special offers to try and get the punters in, they are simply not needed.

I would love to see weed outlets, but they would be licenced and controlled, as these vape stores should, instead of the free for all and heavy promotional activity that I am seeing now.
what would be the difference between a licensed vape shop and a non licensed vape shop?

It's crazy, we don't have a single old fashioned tobacconist shop in Worthing, i.e. a shop just selling fags, baccy, pipes, etc.

Every shop that sells fags & baccy also sell vapes, which is fine as the are all fairly low-key outlets, and yet we also have well over a dozen vape only shops, all heavily promoting special offers to try and get the punters in, they are simply not needed.

I suspect the barrier to entry is a lot lower if you're just setting up a vape shop. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if most of them are just fronts for money laundering.

what would be the difference between a licensed vape shop and a non licensed vape shop?

I can't believe you are even asking that question TBH.

New laws and regulations need to be brought in to the prevent the free for all and heavy promotional activity that is taking place, this is a classic example of the 'free market' at its worst, promoting & pushing highly addictive and harmful* products to as many new punters as possible, which tends to be designed to catch them young.

To make vape retailers subject to the same sort of licencing as those selling fags & alcohol is the only sensible thing to do, it would massively reduce the rough traders, where fines don't always work, but the risk of losing their licence and business tend to do so.

* Not as harmful as smoking, but still harmful.

I suspect the barrier to entry is a lot lower if you're just setting up a vape shop. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if most of them are just fronts for money laundering.

Oh, the barrier to entry is a lot lower, and I agree many are probably fronts for money laundering, just like nail bars & hand car wash places.

I can't believe you are even asking that question TBH.

New laws and regulations need to be brought in to the prevent the free for all and heavy promotional activity that is taking place, this is a classic example of the 'free market' at its worst, promoting & pushing highly addictive and harmful* products to as many new punters as possible, which tends to be designed to catch them young.

To make vape retailers subject to the same sort of licencing as those selling fags & alcohol is the only sensible thing to do, it would massively reduce the rough traders, where fines don't always work, but the risk of losing their licence and business tend to do so.

* Not as harmful as smoking, but still harmful.
I'm asking in good faith. Having a license to do things isn't much part of my life experience :D

If you are worried about "promotional activity" - advertising? - I dont see how licensing a vape shop changes that. That would be rules around advertising.

Imagine I got a license to open a vape shop and did so...what fuck up would I have to do to lose that license? Is it just to sell to someone under 18? Is there any other aspect to this?

Its already illegal to sell to under 18s, but if what you are saying is the fines aren't big enough and somehow not stopping those people caught from still selling to under 18s, then I take your point

As a further demonstration of my paucity of knowledge re vapes, what are the coils that people mention they need to replace fairly frequently?

Vaping helped me give up smoking, always had a refillable, now down to the minimum nicotine level, will at some point go to zero and after that the only thing left will be to give up.

One of the best inventions (few) to come out of China. The refillables I mean.
The disposables are just wrong.

I'm asking in good faith. Having a license to do things isn't much part of my life experience :D

If you are worried about "promotional activity" - advertising? - I dont see how licensing a vape shop changes that. That would be rules around advertising.

Imagine I got a license to open a vape shop and did so...what fuck up would I have to do to lose that license? Is it just to sell to someone under 18? Is there any other aspect to this?

Its already illegal to sell to under 18s, but if what you are saying is the fines aren't big enough and somehow not stopping those people caught from still selling to under 18s, then I take your point

Let me draw a comparison to a very few 'corner shops' here in Worthing, and indeed across West Sussex, that lost their licences after being caught out selling alcohol and/or tobacco products to underaged teens, I would expect the same to apply if they (or licenced vape shops) broke the law on marketing, it basically plays out like this -

1st time caught out, off to court, loads of excuses and promises about improving staff training, small fine.
2nd time caught out, within a few months because none of those promises were kept, the same old excuses and promises, much larger fine.
3rd time caught out, within a few months again, because ditto, even larger fine & licence withdrawn, loads of whining about it would result in the shop closing and job loses.

Shop doesn't close and jobs are not lost, but it gets 'sold' to a more responsible person, who gets granted a licence, and funny enough doesn't then take the piss, isn't caught out despite several attempted test buys by trading standards, job done. And, funny enough other small shops gets the message that enforcement of licences is serious business, and they also behave themselves.

And, of course, the income from licences covers the council's cost to enforce them, rather than council tax payers having to fund it.

Back
Top Bottom