Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pet ducks

We had a couple of ducks when I was a kid, but then we had a massive drainage pond for nearby fields in the garden, with a duck house on an island that had formed over some years from reeds, plus a little rowing boat. :cool:

The ducks used to wind-up the dog no end, he could never swim fast enough to get them. He thought his luck was in one winter, when it froze over, before learning his legs didn't work well on ice, it was funny as fuck. :D

Some info on pet geese vs pet ducks

The duck would be settled and happy or it surely would just fly off and chil in the nearest park pond?

My dad used to clip their wings every year, but then they were safe from foxes, and indeed the dog, because of the size of the pond & the island, not sure I would be comfortable doing that if it's a normal size garden & pond.

There is an old fibreglass pond amongst the rubble at the back. I heard it was a fallacy they needed a big body of water.

We got ducks last year, and while they were lovely and the kids were really excited up to a day or two after they arrived, our garden was covered in duck shit, and my wife had clearly underestimated how much effort they would be.

Eventually she loaded them up in her car and walked them into the local park and into the pond. Not recommended/allowed, I believe, but they are still living happily there with all the other ducks and geese, 8 months later

Apart from the pond you can keep them a lot like how you keep chickens (although they're a lot more destructive that chickens - think of them as tiny pigs). Once they've settled in, if you have their wings clipped you don't have to be to worried about them escaping, especially if you feed them the same times every day because they'll come back for the food like cats will

Back
Top Bottom