Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pet ducks

Apart from the pond you can keep them a lot like how you keep chickens (although they're a lot more destructive that chickens - think of them as tiny pigs). Once they've settled in, if you have their wings clipped you don't have to be to worried about them escaping, especially if you feed them the same times every day because they'll come back for the food like cats will
Will they mess up my vegetables?

Will they mess up my vegetables?
Potentially? Although grass lawn always seems to be the biggest casualty with ducks. Chickens mess up vegetables sometimes. You can keep them away from the vegetables though by cooping that bit of your garden off away from them. Someone else will hopefully come along with a more definitive answer.

I was thinking if foxes came or the cats got leery then the ducks could just fly off a bit? I wouldn’t clip their wings whatever that means. It sounds hideous.
It more a question of when not if with foxes tbh. I had some chickens in my back garden, in the UK, in a bit that used to be years ago an old back alley. Fenced in on all sides, with concrete base panels and I had a staff who spent most of her time the garden and after two years a fox stealthily dug under the concrete and killed all four biting their heads off.

We got ducks last year, and while they were lovely and the kids were really excited up to a day or two after they arrived, our garden was covered in duck shit, and my wife had clearly underestimated how much effort they would be.

Eventually she loaded them up in her car and walked them into the local park and into the pond. Not recommended/allowed, I believe, but they are still living happily there with all the other ducks and geese, 8 months later
They shit that much? What the fuck do they eat? Chicken curry?

I had lots of chickens for many years, and a few runner ducks for a few years. Free range at first, then in a run about the size of a tennis court, surrounded by poultry netting to keep them off the patio, and out of the vegetable plot (and out of the house). Kids aren’t good at avoiding treading in the copious amount of poo.

Ducks don’t NEED to swim, but they do need a deep enough water container to submerge their heads. My garden is level, on heavy clay soil, it doesn’t drain well. The ducks had a small rigid paddling pool, shallow enough for me to easily tip the water out.

The pool needed emptying and refilling at least once a day, but I could have done it every 15 minutes and it would still be filthy water being tipped onto the grass. Ducks love paddling through mud, and paddling not only their feet but digging their long bills through it. They poo in the pool, as well as all over the whole area they have access to. And in their house. Mine had hemp substrate (Aubiose) with straw on top, changed twice a week.

Tipping dirty water out of the pool and moving it to a clean, dry patch of grass swiftly meant that most of their run was more mud than grass. Leaving the pool in the same place, still tipping the dirty water onto the grass before rinsing and refilling with a hosepipe, meant the muddy fringe around the pool got wider and deeper and more unpleasant and difficult to extract my wellies. The ducks were so muddy by the time they got into the pool it immediately needed doing again, and they were so muddy by the time they made it over to some clean grass, they were desperate to wash it off... They’re ok with clean wet bills, feet and feathers but not dirty ones.

Chickens are brilliant about taking themselves to bed but ducks aren’t. They often had to be rounded up and shepherded into their house. Not always easy if you’re on your own. Not easy if you want to go away and someone else is trying to shut them in for the night.

Runners are prolific layers. I like duck eggs for baking cakes, and hard-boiling. The kids didn’t like them but I was always able to sell surplus eggs. Ducks seldom go broody.

Drakes can be a nightmare - one male to four or five females is plenty (and you don’t need a drake for the girls to lay eggs). It’s terribly stressful for the poor ducks if there are multiple drakes incessantly pinning them down to mate. Nothing in the way of sweet talk or romance, just wham-bam... on repeat.

Fox strikes are heartbreaking. Clearing up the carnage left behind is horrible. Now the land behind my place isn’t managed there’s too much cover for foxes and after losing the last three birds I called it a day. Miss them dreadfully, but I wouldn’t have ducks again without an established lake rather than just a garden pool.

I'm disappointed that you didn't go out and buy yourself some ducks yesterday TopCat. The longer you leave it the more doubt will creep in - strike while the iron's hot. :)

PS - get geese instead - they're better.

Oh TopCat :( What was the dream? Rural idyll? Characterful pets? Your back garden is lush btw.
My dream was to take in inspiration from the duck robot hoover dressed cat video and do my own.
I don’t like the idea of so much mess and London is full of foxes. I am re thinking.
The garden is nice. My first year of tending to it. Still got lots to do.

Geese are violent.
Nah, they're sweet creatures. I always enjoy feeding them in the park when it's freezing - the second one clocks you with food it lets all the others know, and within about twenty seconds you're surrounded by dozens of geese. A lovely way to start the day. :)

Nah, they're sweet creatures. I always enjoy feeding them in the park when it's freezing - the second one clocks you with food it lets all the others know, and within about twenty seconds you're surrounded by dozens of geese. A lovely way to start the day. :)

They are deeply evil. The fact that you are their friend simply confirms that belief.

easily the best species of Duck imo:
654214_poster_l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom