Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

People who shoot photos with their lens hood on backwards

You're the one coming in here telling me I'm "wrong" and that I don't know what I'm talking about and that the pro photographers I brought up to back me up don't know what they're talking about either because you've "never heard of them" despite their extensive experience and other credentials.
You are very wrong indeed to base your emphatic statements about photography on the statements of a handful of little-known pro photographers. You couldn't be more wrong, in fact.

Oh, and Mike Browne has worked in TV production as well.
I just put Mike Browne + UV filter in YT and it threw this up:

For the first 20 seconds he says (and I'm paraphrasing) "bear in mind what I'm about to say is not necessarily true, it's just my take on it and, my opinion...I'm not the least bit interested in cameras or camera equipment".

Great start!

at 8:04min he starts to addresses the UV filter conundrum.
at 9:00min "... It's up to you to decide if you need one"

So, seems he's a civil chap and leaves the people to decide for themselves what they use and how they use it.
Maybe you should follow his example.

You are very wrong indeed to base your emphatic statements about photography on the statements of a handful of little-known pro photographers. You couldn't be more wrong, in fact.
There you go again. Are you reading a fucking thing I have been writing?

Tony Northrup:

Award-winning author and photographer Tony Northrup has published more than 30 how-to books and sold more than a million copies around the world. His photos have been featured on magazine covers, book covers, CD covers, TV shows, calendars, and much more. Tony studied photography at the New England School of Photography and the Massachusetts College of Art and Design. He runs a stock and portrait photography business with his family, Chelsea and Madelyn, out of his home studio in Waterford, CT. He shoots travel and nature photography everywhere he goes.

Mike Browne:

• Professional award winning photographer since 1993
  • Photography writer DSLR User magazine Professional Photographer Magazine, Photography Monthly Magazine, Professional Photographer Magazine
  • Editorial team member Photo360 magazine
  • Fuji Wedding Awards x 2
  • Kodak Gold Award for excellence in professional portrait photography
  • UK Commercial & Industrial Master Photographer of the Year - AOE
  • Fuji UK PTO commercial award winner
  • 17 Master Photographers Association Awards
  • Exhibitions held at Master Photographers Association, Royal Photographic Society, Romanian Embassy (London)
  • City & Guilds teaching qualification
You're the one who's causing trouble in this thread. You're one who keeps poo pooing the people I bring up despite their very impressive credentials.

I just put Mike Browne + UV filter in YT and it threw this up:

For the first 20 seconds he says (and I'm paraphrasing) "bear in mind what I'm about to say is not necessarily true, it's just my take on it and, my opinion...I'm not the least bit interested in cameras or camera equipment".

Great start!

at 8:04min he starts to addresses the UV filter conundrum.
at 9:00min "... It's up to you to decide if you need one"

So, seems he's a civil chap and leaves the people to decide for themselves what they use and how they use it.
Maybe you should follow his example.

One. I'm not sure what you're getting at with the bolded part. He's not some amateur, he's a pro photographer of many years of some standing.

Two. He says he thinks they're useless, and that's good enough for me......but not for old Eddy over there who's only interested in the opinions of people he's heard of, even if they've got a list of credentials as longs as your arm.

I've only recently clocked him and I love the way he seems to get on absolutely everyone's tits without seeming to try.

Even xenon called him a cunt! :D

Yeah, it's not that he's wrong. He just comes across as really aggressive knowall about it. He'd have peple on his side when he's been right if he wasn't such a twat about being "right."

It doesn't even get this narky in the Apple vs Windows vs Linux tech threads. :D

I haven't been "rude" or "aggressive". I just cannot stand it when in an argument someone completely ignores the points that have been made like they didn't exist, and poo poos quotes from experts for no good reason whatsoever. That's what's "rude".

I keep mine attached to my lenses all the time, either forwards when in use or backwards when not. That way I know where it is, so when I need to use it I don't realise that it's sat in another bag at home or something.

I'm clearly an idiot.

Me too ,at least on my 300 mm

The hood on that , is 68mm ring and wont fit any of my other lenses , it takes up no extra space in the bag backwards , and I leave it on even if I don't use it ....

works for me too , It hasn't occurred to me to look to see if other people do the same thing ? ...but I shall now after reading this thread ! .... these are things that need to be known .

20mm sometimes use a rubber lens hood
50mm, usually don't bother, lens is recessed anyhow
85mm sometimes use the supplied hood but lens is recessed
28-70mm usually use the supplied plastic hood
80-400 use hood when out and about

bloody hell ...I just posted from page 1 without realising theres another 4 pages of this ,errr , semantic faux pas ?......... I dont think I can work up the will to go through them .....sorry if I've repeated more than the ones I already have .....

Back
Top Bottom