Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

People who shoot photos with their lens hood on backwards

First off - I question the validity of a lot of online 'reviewing'.

Second: would you give up your Lumix etc in favor of a camera phone?
1. That is a very well respected site.

2.You seemed to have pulled that question out of thin air.

I was responding to the daft claim that a dSLR - any one, from any time apparently - is a "million times better" than a camera phone. In fact, in optimum conditions, it can be hard to tell the difference between a high end camera phone (like the new Lumias) and a dSLR unless examined closely. I certainly sometimes can't immediately tell the difference between a daylight landscape taken on my S4 and a LX5.

1. That is a very well respected site.

2.You seemed to have pulled that question out of thin air.

I was responding to the daft claim that a dSLR - any one, from any time apparently - is a "million times better" than a camera phone. In fact, in optimum conditions, it can be hard to tell the difference between a high end camera phone (like the new Lumias) and a dSLR unless examined closely. I certainly sometimes can't immediately tell the difference between a daylight landscape taken on my S4 and a LX5.
Under "optimal conditions"? In other words a DSLR trumps a phone almost every other time. How many pros are using camera phones and not DSLRs? None! Why is that?

Why don't you try getting a shallow DoF effect with a camera phone. Good luck with that.

In other words a DSLR trumps a phone almost every other time. How many pros are using camera phones and not DSLRs? None! Why is that?
Hold on. You can't be this ignorant, can you?

Loads of pros use smartphones (as well as their regular cameras) and loads of smartphone photos have made it into print. Some have even made front covers, including this one taken on an iPhone.

time-instagram-cover-jpeg.jpg

Oh and an entire newspaper in the US switched to iPhones. Here. Learn: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/1/43...ire-photography-staff-trains-reporters-iphone

Loads of pros use smartphones (as well as their regular cameras)
As well as their regular cameras: exactly.

and loads of smartphone photos have made it into print. Some have even made front covers, including this one taken on an iPhone.

time-instagram-cover-jpeg.jpg

The guy admits a phone as a lot of imitations.

Oh and an entire newspaper in the US switched to iPhones. Here. Learn: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/1/43...ire-photography-staff-trains-reporters-iphone
Um, that story is not quite what you're making out. What in fact happened is they sacked all their in-house photographers and gave iPhones to the remaining journlists to take photos. They are still going to use freelance photographers.

Mike Browne has an iPhone he takes snaps with - in fact he has a whole video about taking images with one - but do you think he'd use one on a job? I very much doubt it.

Oh, and this guy that you were pooh poohing earlier has what are probably the best, most well explained, photography tutorial videos on the internet. And for free.

But pros are using iPhones for professional work, thus evaporating your 'argument.'
Alongside DSLRs, which is what I said.

I went to that Time cover guy's website:

Canon or Nikon?
Canon for now.

- from Pop Photo interview- My gear has varied throughout the years, but I usually carry two workhorse DSLRs. Right now it's two Canon 5D Mark IIs. I have a 24-70 that I hardly ever use in my bag as a backup in case everything else blows up, but I use prime lenses. I have a 35mm, a 50mm and a 135mm. Occasionally I'll use a wide angle, like a 20mm or a 24mm, but it depends on the situation. In Haiti, I used a 20mm lens. Lately in Afghanistan, I was just using a 35mm and a 50mm. I also carry a film camera -- usually something that shoots 6x6. It's either a Mamiya 6 or a Holga, which I use to make these long panoramics. Lately I've been using my iPhone quite a bit. That's always around.

http://www.benlowy.com/#/faqs

Ken rockwell has this to say on his "how to spot an amateur page":

Hood on backwards

If you use a hood, leave it on the lens in the shooting position.

If you can't carry it (or leave it in your bag) that way, leave it home.

Do not store the hood in the reversed position. It takes too long to right it when you need to shoot.

I don't know how many times I see people out shooting with hoods attached in reverse! All this does is get in the way of you controlling the lens, and does nothing to reduce flare.

If you can't store the lens with the hood in the shooting position, ditch the hood.

I use caps that fit over the front of any hoods that I use. No one promotes this, but often a larger cap size will fit in the front of a hood. This is a lot better than having to unscrew a hood each time, and the round cap inside the front of the hood helps keep the hood from getting bangs in a bag.

pfft. Amateurs.

*runs away*

I use caps that fit over the front of any hoods that I use. No one promotes this, but often a larger cap size will fit in the front of a hood. This is a lot better than having to unscrew a hood each time, and the round cap inside the front of the hood helps keep the hood from getting bangs in a bag.

Sounds like he's using screw on hoods (which are rubbish) and not proper ones that go with the lens, but then this is the guy that tells everyone to shoot JPEG and that RAW is no good.

I might even go further and say that the photos from my iphone are sometimes better than those from my 20D (before editing).

Back
Top Bottom