Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

People who shoot photos with their lens hood on backwards

Well, my smartphone post was intended as a pisstake 'inflammatory' statement, but I guess you learn something every day...

If you can't take a good photo with that camera, you will never be able to take a good photo.
Um, we're talking about image quality.

Running hard to keep up with the goalpost shifting here.
I haven't moved anything. You're the one that starting bringing up DSLRs from the long and distant past and comparing them to a smartphone released recently.

There's nowt wrong with camera phones... I took this with a Nokia N95 about 6 or 7 years ago.

13157638645_bcefa98aa1_o.jpg

I have the original somewhere and the quality was excellent, even back then, and they're much better now.

And Ken Rockwell is a twat.

There's nowt wrong with camera phones... I took this with a Nokia N95 about 6 or 7 years ago.

13157638645_bcefa98aa1_o.jpg

I have the original somewhere and the quality was excellent, even back then, and they're much better now.

And Ken Rockwell is a twat.

Is this supposed to be an example of a high-quality photo? :)

Is this supposed to be an example of a high-quality photo? :)

No, it's supposed to be a low quality JPG (it's less than 200KB) that was cropped from a higher quality image.
Would you like me to find the original for you, maybe do a signed print and frame it for you?

If that's a camera phone photo, I'll stick to my DSLRs and SLRs, thank you very much. :) It's not a terrible photo by any means, but the quality of the image isn't high. The quality of a photo is limited by the equipment used to take it.

Last edited:
If that's a camera phone photo, I'll stick to my DSLRs and SLRs, thank you very much. :) It's not a terrible photo by any means, but the quality of the image isn't high. The quality of a photo is limited by the equipment used to take it.
This was taken on my S4. I also took a similar picture on my Ricoh GR (which has a dSLR sensor).

When I was reviewing the photos I chose to publish this one instead of the GR one.

In the right conditions, a good cameraphone will take a picture that will be just about indistinguishable in normal use from a dSLR one.

dd.jpg

This was taken on my S4. I also took a similar picture on my Ricoh GR (which has a dSLR sensor).

When I was reviewing the photos I chose to publish this one instead of the GR one.

In the right conditions, a good cameraphone will take a picture that will be just about indistinguishable in normal use from a dSLR one.

View attachment 50225

I've not denied that passable photos can be taken on camera phones; and probably photos that would be acceptable as photojournalism. But the only way to compare image quality, would be to take that image on an S4, then the identical image on a Nikon DF, for instance.

The image above looks has a sharp focus on the face, but the focus falls off with the newspaper at the bottom of the image. A more complex autofocus system, such as found in a mid level DSLR, would be able to handle both.

There's nowt wrong with camera phones
No, but DSLRs are much better cameras all round.
You're an HDR man. :(
Nothing wrong with HDR when used subtly

"In the right conditions": exactly.

Now try taking a picture in low light, then try a macro shot, then try taking one of something far away, then a sport's action shot, then a long exposure shot, then try getting a narrow DoF shot. There's a reason people buy DSLRs.

I was initially impressed with the camera on an iPhone. On the phone images look quite good. But import into a PC and examine them large, usually they start to fall down, often there is motion blur and it is only really happy taking images in good light.

I was initially impressed with the camera on an iPhone. On the phone images look quite good. But import into a PC and examine them large, usually they start to fall down, often there is motion blur and it is only really happy taking images in good light.
What do you expect from a camera that has a sensor about the size of your little finger?

I was just about to come back and make that point. It's all very well posting a couple of substantially reduced size images, but let's compare them with a DSLR's at 1:1 and then I'm sure the DSLR's differences would shine through.

There's no doubt about it, modern camera phones make nice snapshot cameras, and are perfectly capable of holding their own against the fast-disappearing point-and-shoots, but they are no match for the capabilities of a DSLR.

This thread is comedy gold. "You can take quite good pictures with a phone" "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT YOU FUCKING AMATEUR? DSLRs ARE MUCH BETTER!" "Yes but phones are much better than they used to be" "OF COURSE DSLRs ARE BETTER, THEY'VE GOT BUTTONS AND HOODS AND FOCUSES" "Are you alright?" "YOU CUUUUUUUUUNT"

And he's off again!
shifting_goals2.jpg
You're the that's "off again". I made a simple statement, that DSLRs are better than camera phones.....which they are....and you keep coming out with "But my phone takes nice pictures in perfect conditions when there's r in the month so that obviously means DSLRs aren't better at all!"

Back
Top Bottom