Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

People who shoot photos with their lens hood on backwards

I keep mine attached to my lenses all the time, either forwards when in use or backwards when not. That way I know where it is, so when I need to use it I don't realise that it's sat in another bag at home or something.

I'm clearly an idiot.
And what about protection for your lens?

Oh? so I'm an "asshole" just because I said people should put their lens hoods on properly? Fuck off.
Sometimes there can be a very good reason for having a lens cap on backwards. If you're using flash for example, or if you've a wide angle lens and it's casting shadows across the lens. Or perhaps if you're using a polariser. Or maybe space is limited.

But I don't expect you to be able to understand these things.

Lens hoods are not primarily designed for lens protection.
No, but they do

For many, a UV/skylight filter does that job adequately.
Ah, UV filters. I never use a UV filter. UV filters degrade image quality and they don't provide much protection anyway. A hood provides protection AND has an actual useful purpose. People are conned into buying UV filters by camera stores when they are not needed for digital photography. People think their lenses are going to be scratched just like that. They won't. The glasss used in lenses is very robust. Look up "Mike Browne" on YT. In 30 years of being a photographer he has never, ever scratched a lens and he never uses UV filters, just a lens hood.

Ah, UV filters. I never use a UV filter. UV filters degrade image quality and they don't provide much protection anyway.
So who do you shoot for professionally?

Oh, and remind me to tell all those silly travel professional photographers - you know, the ones that often find a UV filter a handy precaution against dust and abrasive sand - that they're doing it all wrong.

So who do you shoot for professionally?

Oh, and remind me to tell all those silly travel professional photographers - you know, the ones that often find a UV filter a handy precaution against dust and abrasive sand - that they're doing it all wrong.
A just gave you an example of a professional that never uses one. Most of the pros I've come across on YT do not use one. In fact I've only found one that does, Gavin Hoey.

what makes professionals the be all and end all?
Exactly where did I say that?

However, given that they make a career out of it, I'd imagine the opinions of professional photographers generally hold more sway than those a lippy amateur with little experience or skill.

Exactly where did I say that?

However, given that they make a career out of it, I'd imagine the opinions of professional photographers generally hold more sway than those a lippy amateur with little experience or skill.
Oh FFS. Are you even reading anything I've written. The guy has been a pro for THIRTY YEARS. Jesus.

Oh FFS. Are you even reading anything I've written. The guy has been a pro for THIRTY YEARS. Jesus.
You're the one insisting that you know best.

Professional photographers all have different ways of working, so why don't you express your opinion and tell me what experience you're basing it on?

Where are these "pros" who are walking around taking photos with their lens hoods on backwards? A true "pro" wouldn't do such a thing. Did you even bother to view the video I posted and take note of the points made?

Pros usually carry a kit bag, so the lens hood could be kept in there.

You're the one insisting that you know best.

Professional photographers all have different ways of working, so why don't you express your opinion and tell me what experience you're basing it on?
It's a fucking waste of time talking to you. You are completely ignoring all the evidence I've put to you.

A FUCKING PRO PHOTOGRAPHER OF THIRTY YEARS HAS SAYS UV FILTERS ARE USELESS. WHY THE FUCKING HELL ARE YOU SAYING HE IS WRONG?

And yes of course I watched the video - AND YOU CONVENIENTLY IGNORE MIKE BROWNE'S VIDEO. And he agrees with what I've been saying all along. As for the comments, they are either agreeing, or saying that UV filters do not degrade image quality, which is bollocks.

Back
Top Bottom