Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Oxford Street to be pedestrianised by 2020

Could you not terminate all those routes at the point at which they enter/exit Oxford St and then have a simple shuttle service going up and down Oxford St to link them? That should be feasible with the hopper ticket being introduced.
They should just do this ^ instead.

It's on the edge of a large pedestrianised zone and it works very well, at least it doesn't disadvantage pedestrians and hopefully discourages people from trying to drive round there. If they have a good reason to drive there then they just have to put up with the 5mph speed limit and not having right of way. Like I said you get the odd tosser with steam coming out of their ears but I'm personally a big fan of it.

I've never driven around the NHM one, just used it as a ped and believe me, it's absolute dogshit. The main problem with them is that there are still fewer rules to follow so cyclists become even more dangerous than usual. Nightmare.

I'm not sure how they can say it'll be pedestrianised because theres still a road through it. Its going to be a lot like Exhibition road by the NHM, it's going be a hazardous fucking nightmare of moving traffic and people bumbling around mixed together (more so than now)
That's not what they're proposing. Oxford Circus will be bisected by Regent Street, with a super-wide signalled crossing between the two new pedestrian-only spaces.

1623948030448.png

I've never driven around the NHM one, just used it as a ped and believe me, it's absolute dogshit. The main problem with them is that there are still fewer rules to follow so cyclists become even more dangerous than usual. Nightmare.
I don't know what NHM means. What are the casualty rates for these cyclists or is it just you being silly again?

NHM = Natural History Museum, so specifically the "shared space" of Exhibition Road

That's not what they're proposing. Oxford Circus will be bisected by Regent Street, with a super-wide signalled crossing between the two new pedestrian-only spaces.

View attachment 273971

That crossing is ridiculously long. There’s going to have to be a very lengthy double red phase for traffic and pedestrians, because once something crosses the stop line on amber it could take a while to clear the crossing.

Natural History Museum.

You know the answer to that. You even agreed with me about it on the other thread. Cyclists are morons and road set-ups like that do nothing to improve their behaviour.
I agreed with what now?

I've been there, in 2019, it was great. I had been worried about taking a four year old into London but the new layout felt much safer.

as small scale as this proposal is, it doesn't look like a bad idea.
gives the crowds going in & out of the tube somewhere to spill into at crunch times.

Looks like Sadiq is winning the legal war...
Pedestrianised from Oxford Circus to marble arch, good compromise
I walked the length of Oxford Street last week, it was surprisingly rammed. Actually needs to be pedestrianised. I walked in the road repeatedly

The plan, which was blocked by the previous Conservative-controlled Westminster City Council for its unpopularity with residents, has received backing from Deputy Prime Minister Angela Rayner

She said the pedestrianisation "will drive growth by creating new jobs, generating economic activity, and giving a much-needed boost to London’s night-time economy.”

The plan will depend on Mr Khan gaining permission from Ms Rayner as housing, communities and local government secretary to establish a new Mayoral Development Corporation, which would provide planning powers and allow the mayor to overrule the council

Just get on with it. They've been going on about this for the last 8 years and nothing has happened. Just pave it over and divert the buses already. Jesus.

About bloody time. Through traffic will have to be via Wigmore Street I suspect.

And yeah, long term it so obviously needs a tram even if just a shuttle from Marble Arch to Holborn. The tube is not accessible and the liz line is too widely spaced.

Back
Top Bottom