Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Orlando Bloom and other navel gazing celebs

Orlando Bloom has given the most brilliant interview where he earnestly talks about how he tries to avoid looking at his phone but the first thing he does every day is check his sleep score and update his instagram story: Orlando Bloom Goes Viral for Unintentionally Hilarious Interview

It's in the Sunday Times so it's behind a paywall but will see if I can paste the text. Michael Spicer reads out the start of it here:

I meant "here it is, no need to cut n paste"
Ah I see! You really do need to read it with Michael Spicer's voice on though - much better :D

Bloom, 44, grew up in Canterbury, Kent, before studying at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London. He got his big break at 22 when he was cast as Legolas in The Lord of the Rings. His other acting credits include the Pirates of the Caribbean films and the TV series Carnival Row. He was previously married to the Australian model Miranda Kerr, with whom he has a ten-year-old son, Flynn. Bloom lives in California with his fiancée, the singer Katy Perry, and their baby daughter, Daisy.

I wake up at around 6.30. I have a smart ring sleep tracker and the first thing I do is look at the app to see if I’ve had a good sleep and check my readiness for the day.

Then I check on my daughter, who’s usually up and cooing in her cot. My fiancée [Perry] needs her sleep, so I try to let her have a lie-in. Daisy’s a very happy baby. I’ll kiss her and we’ll spend some time connecting. I’ll do eye-gazing with her and sing songs, “Daddy loves his Daisy Dove”, so she knows who Daddy is. My son’s first word was “Mama”, but Daisy said “Dadda”.
It’s amazing to be a father again. There’s less anxiety this time and more presence. I’m a Capricorn, so I crave routine. Fortunately my partner is really into that too.
I chant for 20 minutes every day, religiously. I’ve had a Buddhist practice since I was 16, so that’s infiltrated my whole being. I’ll read a bit of Buddhism and then I’ll type it up and add it to my [Instagram] Stories. Other than that, I won’t look at my phone yet. I don’t want to be sucked into the black hole of social media.

I like to earn my breakfast so I’ll just have some green powders that I mix with brain octane oil, a collagen powder for my hair and nails, and some protein. It’s all quite LA, really. Then I’ll go for a hike while I listen to some Nirvana or Stone Temple Pilots.
By 9am it’s breakfast, which is usually porridge, a little hazelnut milk, cinnamon, vanilla paste, hazelnuts, goji berries, a vegan protein powder and a cup of PG Tips. I’m 90 per cent plant-based, so I’ll only eat a really good piece of red meat maybe once a month. I sometimes look at a cow and think, that’s the most beautiful thing ever. At some point in time we’ll look back and not be able to believe we used to eat meat.
My son spends half his time with me and half with my ex-wife. If he’s with us, I get him breakfast before school. Then I’ll have a shower and get dressed. I like to make an effort. No tracksuit bottoms. I have a deal with Amazon where I work on projects exclusively for them. I spend a lot of my time dreaming about roles for myself and others — for minorities and women. I’m trying to be a voice for everybody.
I had this remarkable opening chapter to my career, for which I was only semi-present. Without my Buddhist practice, I could have easily come off the rails. I’ve been changing the narrative in my head and feel that I can be the driver of my train. I can set it alight, but I can get the fire crew and put it out.

As a Brit and a parent living in America through this election cycle, I was very challenged. The news is no longer salacious, but there’s lots of work to be done. I was super-proud of my girl [Perry performed at President Biden’s inauguration].
Lunch is mostly plant-based again, vegetables or a stew. I will cook at times but otherwise there’s a team of people. Then I’ll have a Zoom and read scripts.
During Covid I started building Lego again. I dip in and out while I work. I build mostly cars and find the methodical nature of creating this little thing makes me feel like I’m achieving something else. Then I’ll do heavy weights for an hour, something to exhaust me.
We’ll put the baby to bed, then it’s dinnertime. After that, I like to watch a movie or documentary for work. I aim to get to bed by 11. If I get eight hours’ sleep I’m happy and so is my sleep tracker. Time is so precious. I was always giving my time to other people before. Now I have the space to dream.

I will cook at times but 'otherwise there's a team of people'. I bet he doesn't know their names

Last edited:
Which was posted directly after OU's post on the bandwidth thread as well.
I'm sorry - as is probably obvious, I don't read that thread! :oops:

But I agree with Orang Utan - it needs its own thread as it is such an epic level of navel gazing. Oh yes - I remember some woman Orang Utan - can't remember her name. Maybe I should rename this thread and we could have one to collate them all.

ETA or did you mean that bloke that Mrs Miggins linked to? He can't spell veggies either :mad:

I feel a bit sorry for Katy Perry - she barely gets a mention
Skim-reading through it, this bit:
"As a Brit and a parent living in America through this election cycle, I was very challenged. The news is no longer salacious, but there’s lots of work to be done. I was super-proud of my girl [Perry performed at President Biden’s inauguration]."
Genuinely made me think "oh, is Orlando Bloom Katy Perry's dad? I did not know that" at first.

Ooh! Alkalised water. At least 5 kids have suffered liver failure after drinking that :(

Alkaline “Real Water” linked to liver failure in kids—and reports are rising

Hang on...

For the sake of accuracy, that story refers to a brand of alkaline water. And the link between the liver failure and the water has not been confirmed.
So the problem might be that this brand of water has been contaminated in some way.

For the record and for clarity:
the whole health fad thing about acid-alkaline is nonsense* and I’m not defending or endorsing alkaline water.

ETA
This story does give me something specific to google and study, I’m glad of that. So thank you for posting it fishfinger

ETA again
* well, it’s not entirely nonsense, but the way it’s presented and understood is largely bollocks.

Last edited:
Skim-reading through it, this bit:
"As a Brit and a parent living in America through this election cycle, I was very challenged. The news is no longer salacious, but there’s lots of work to be done. I was super-proud of my girl [Perry performed at President Biden’s inauguration]."
Genuinely made me think "oh, is Orlando Bloom Katy Perry's dad? I did not know that" at first.
She kissed a girl and he doesn’t like it

Back
Top Bottom