Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Orbital vs Underworld

I don’t see this as an either or question. Different vibes for different energy levels.

A pretty damn amazing night would be Underworld say 22:00 - Midnight, then some Stanton Warriors followed up by Orbital into the wee hours.
Perfect.

As a youngster Orbital and Underworld were very dear to me. I'll always look fondly on both but I'm not remotely interested in listening to either of them anymore. Hope this helps move the debate along :D.

As a youngster Orbital and Underworld were very dear to me. I'll always look fondly on both but I'm not remotely interested in listening to either of them anymore. Hope this helps move the debate along :D.

Never really got into the latter but Orbital still gets a spin on occasion.

View attachment 385776

Idea for a program. "Orbital vs Underworld: The Nation Decides". Hosted by Terry Christian from a disused warehouse near the M25.

Rave Swap - members of two popular dance combos attempt to make it in the pre-stardom field of the other. Smith sweating it out in the kitchen with Hyde front of house at Pizza Piazza, whilst Hartnolls minor and major study electrical engineering.

Rave Swap - members of two popular dance combos attempt to make it in the pre-stardom field of the other. Smith sweating it out in the kitchen with Hyde front of house at Pizza Piazza, whilst Hartnolls minor and major study electrical engineering.

I would SO watch that.

In the 1990s I was a huge underworld fan and thought Orbital were okay. To be fair though, I wasn't going clubbing then (not until '99 anyway) and that's the most important test for dance music, so perhaps Orbital smash the dance floor better than Underworld. I did see Underworld live at Glastonbury in, I think, 1998 though and that was awesome.

In the 1990s I was a huge underworld fan and thought Orbital were okay. To be fair though, I wasn't going clubbing then (not until '99 anyway) and that's the most important test for dance music, so perhaps Orbital smash the dance floor better than Underworld. I did see Underworld live at Glastonbury in, I think, 1998 though and that was awesome.
They played 99. Friday night.
Stanton Warriors Saturday night in the Temple.

(Still have my old clashfinder)

I think I only saw Underworld once - in 1996 at the Reading Festival. They clashed with The Stone Roses. It was a tough decision, but we initially plumped for The Stone Roses. Didn't take long to conclude that that this was a mistake - they were famously bad - so we hotfooted it to the dance tent and Underworld smashed it. I can't remember how many Orbital shows I saw - definitely at least 2 - one at Brixton and one at the Total Eclipse festival near Plymouth in 1999. The main thing I remember about the Eclipse festival was how laughably underwhelming the eclipse itself was and the fact there was nobody at the festival. It sold so badly that you could get in free with a copy of the local newspaper. Orbital were quite good but I don't remember losing my shit with enthusiasm....

one at the Total Eclipse festival near Plymouth in 1999. The main thing I remember about the Eclipse festival was how laughably underwhelming the eclipse itself was and the fact there was nobody at the festival. It sold so badly that you could get in free with a copy of the local newspaper. Orbital were quite good but I don't remember losing my shit with enthusiasm....

I was at that one! I know they lost a fortune but I really enjoyed it, a lovely low key festival with no massive crowds. They'd been hyping the potential traffic disaster up for months I remember and it seemed to be pretty successful in putting people off. By the time of the actual eclipse I'd barely slept for days so was dragged from the tent by my mates to see it, shrugged and then went back inside.

I think I only saw Underworld once - in 1996 at the Reading Festival. They clashed with The Stone Roses. It was a tough decision, but we initially plumped for The Stone Roses. Didn't take long to conclude that that this was a mistake - they were famously bad - so we hotfooted it to the dance tent and Underworld smashed it. I can't remember how many Orbital shows I saw - definitely at least 2 - one at Brixton and one at the Total Eclipse festival near Plymouth in 1999. The main thing I remember about the Eclipse festival was how laughably underwhelming the eclipse itself was and the fact there was nobody at the festival. It sold so badly that you could get in free with a copy of the local newspaper. Orbital were quite good but I don't remember losing my shit with enthusiasm....
I was there as well and did exactly the same! Underworld were brilliant, only time I've been in a mosh pit for a techno gig, lol. (I was also at that eclipse festival and yeah, it wasn't a great show from orbital)

Also saw Underworld at Secret Garden Party a couple of weekends ago - no Darren Emmerson anymore of course but they were still fantastic.

Orbital still better for me - I don't think anything will top NYE 96/7 at alexander palace when they morphed the midnight bells into chime...

I think I agree. Their latest stuff actually annoys me a bit. Hipster Electro or something.
I thought "And the colour red" was ok, obviously not as good as the old stuff but still half decent. Orbital's latest stuff is frankly embarrassing, I'm sad to say.

Genuinely met this couple at a phil Hartnoll set and they both loved orbital and they were dancing away together and I thought ? I want that 😭

Back
Top Bottom