Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Orbital vs Underworld

orbital have done 2 great albums (brown and snivillisation)
underworld just one (dubnobass)

orbital win

better live too

Orbital, definitely.

At least 2 good albums, not to mention some brilliant singles... Underworld managed one decent album.

edit: where's the poll?

Dan U said:
better live too
I disagree - Orbital sets always seemed a bit, well, plodding, to me. Underworld sets rattled along at a million miles an hour and made me want to dance till I dropped.

They were technically brilliant as well - a wholey electronic act with no setlist, improvising stuff as they went along.

Schnorbital.

I got locked into a long car journey a few years back with a driver whose only tape was an Underworld one. Stadium dance, hated it.

beesonthewhatnow said:
I disagree - Orbital sets always seemed a bit, well, plodding, to me. Underworld sets rattled along at a million miles an hour and made me want to dance till I dropped.

They were technically brilliant as well - a wholey electronic act with no setlist, improvising stuff as they went along.
At the end of the day the only music you can really dance to is house :cool:

slight thread detour :-

I went through several phases in the dance department.

I got into the scene from loving the music - grew up with contemporary classical, Motown, Jazz, Pink Floyd, Tangerine dream, King Tubby ....

So the first "dance" music I tapped my foot to was the Aphex Twin and Orbital ... I had to have "twiddly bits" .. so even dabbled briefly with Psy Trance :eek:

But at the end of the day that funky bassline wins every time.

The Bristol posse went out on Saturday night and I would have loved to have gone, but after hundreds of hours spent on dancefloors, "hardcore" music tends to end up leaving me bored and unmoved :(

http://www.planetsoulnetwork.com/common/128kbps.pls :cool:

Underworld = Seen live once

Orbital = Seen live loads

No further questions, your worship.

Orbital shits all over Underworld. Underworld did a few good tracks, but Orbitals oeuvre is far superiour overall. :cool:

Dead Cat Bounce said:
Both great live , both released great albums.

This one will go down as a score draw.

i agree with that. i really can't decide betwen the two.

although this thread has prompted me to put on underworld rather than orbital so maybe i subconciously prefer underworld.

or something.

OMGWTF?!?!??!111111

ChrisFilter said:
See, that's where you're wrong ;)
What other album even comes close to the first?! The first is a masterful piece of music, effortlessly flowing between tracks ... the rest ... patchy. :p

Just 'cos the first is better, doesn't make the rest average! Like I said, I love Orbital, up there with my favourite acts, but Underworld are a step up.. but then I think Underworld are a step up from everyone apart from maybe Depeche Mode and Nirvana.

ChrisFilter said:
Just 'cos the first is better, doesn't make the rest average!
I'm not saying that. I'm saying that Underworld made one good album and a few good tracks. Orbital made a lot more great music IMHO.

Too close to call really.

I would add though, that Rez/Cowgirl is easily the best dance record ever made...................

hmmmm

Back
Top Bottom