Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

On this thread, we like synthesisers.

No, I looked for a software version for a while. It's a fairly new synth so no direct clones, but I'm sure you could mock something up in VCV Rack with some dedication.

It's has a pretty unique circuitry, I think. Monophonic, with 8 digital oscillators, through twin analogue filters, with a real spring reverb and an extra percussive oscillator. I'd be surprised if there's ever a 1-2-1 recreation made, unless you DIY.
half of it must be the spring!

I know. But I’d need a different sound card and more wires to pipe it into Ableton and I can’t be arsed. I’m pleased it’s no longer the nineties.
I'm struggling to get it to work with Ableton. It's my first hardware synth that doesn't have USB MIDI so I'm using trad MIDI. Or trying to.

I tried this, and it didn't work:

Ableton sending MIDI to my soundcard. MIDI out from soundcard to drum machine. MIDI Thru on drum machine to MIDI in on Swarm.

They play in time, but the Swarm is triggered on every drum hit. I've checked the manual and set it to listen on Ch2, but it doesn't seem to work as I expect :hmm:

I only need clock to be sent, so maybe there's a setting in Ableton I've got wrong. I hate this kind of thing. I just want to make noises.

I'm struggling to get it to work with Ableton. It's my first hardware synth that doesn't have USB MIDI so I'm using trad MIDI. Or trying to.

I tried this, and it didn't work:

Ableton sending MIDI to my soundcard. MIDI out from soundcard to drum machine. MIDI Thru on drum machine to MIDI in on Swarm.

They play in time, but the Swarm is triggered on every drum hit. I've checked the manual and set it to listen on Ch2, but it doesn't seem to work as I expect :hmm:

I only need clock to be sent, so maybe there's a setting in Ableton I've got wrong. I hate this kind of thing. I just want to make noises.
I was more thinking just recording direct into ableton rather than midi sync. Does it tell you the tempo?

I was more thinking just recording direct into ableton rather than midi sync. Does it tell you the tempo?
No, there's no screens on it. I can sync the tempo to Ableton easily enough, but only if I'm not using any other gear. Actually, I've remembered I used analogue sync in with my drum machine before I plugged it into Ableton and that works, so I could try that again.

Clock over MIDI/USB from Ableton to drum machine > analogue sync in on the QS.

Amazing what talking things through does to the brain :)
half of it must be the spring!
The spring is really weird. Even when you're not using it in the signal path, you can hear the reverb coming from the physical box itself. Cool stuff :)

Although really you’re better off with open back cans. I want these eventually although they can break easily I’ve heard.

I've just ordered a new cable for my Grado SR80s, which finally gave up the ghost after having them since that range was first released. I was looking at a tutorial and they were saying that they sound better with the grid removed and being completely open, so I'm giving it a go. At this point I've got my money's worth, so if I fuck it up then I won't be too sad. Although Ali Baba sells all aluminium replacements for the whole thing.

Where do you get your synths repaired, klang?
I have a guy who does most of my repairs - from amps to synths. Known him for years and he's ok. He sometimes passes jobs on to his mate.
Thinking about it - haven't had a synth repaired in a few years. Been lucky.

Reactions: bmd
I have a guy who does most of my repairs - from amps to synths. Known him for years and he's ok. He sometimes passes jobs on to his mate.
Thinking about it - haven't had a synth repaired in a few years. Been lucky.

Does he do keyboards, like replace keys? I cannot find anyone to sort my Kawai K4. It works fine but it was dropped at a gig and one of the keys is on a slant.

Does he do keyboards, like replace keys? I cannot find anyone to sort my Kawai K4. It works fine but it was dropped at a gig and one of the keys is on a slant.
I'm sure he would, but getting it to London for a one-key-job seems a bit excessive. It's all mechanical, so maybe consider doing it yourself? There's tutorials online...

I'm sure he would, but getting it to London for a one-key-job seems a bit excessive. It's all mechanical, so maybe consider doing it yourself? There's tutorials online...

Yeah true but I frightened myself to death by wading out into those waters last summer. They were far deeper than I imagined.

Yeah true but I frightened myself to death by wading out into those waters last summer. They were far deeper than I imagined.
I'm scared of these things too. I'm also hopeless at electronics and soldering. Should teach myself better, but there are only so many hours in a day...

• Love
Here's a link to a soundesign tutorial for the JUNO synths. As well as giving me a grounding in those pathways. it made me think of your immense studio, klang.

Also, what headphones are you all using? I was going to say Cans but then I remembered that I haven't earned that usage, yet. If you don't bother with 'phones then what monitors are you using? Although I think that the old headphone mix is essential, these days? I have a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT 100s, with a crushed velvet cup on them because fuck that sweaty plastic.

One of the industry standards I think, they are genuinely comfy even for very long periods

No, there's no screens on it. I can sync the tempo to Ableton easily enough, but only if I'm not using any other gear. Actually, I've remembered I used analogue sync in with my drum machine before I plugged it into Ableton and that works, so I could try that again.

Clock over MIDI/USB from Ableton to drum machine > analogue sync in on the QS.

Amazing what talking things through does to the brain :)

The spring is really weird. Even when you're not using it in the signal path, you can hear the reverb coming from the physical box itself. Cool stuff :)

Did you sort it? Just for clarity, it's triggering the synth on every hit, like, every hit on the kick, snare, hats, or just, for example, the kick?

I would try turning off midi to the drum machine first, sort the synth, turn the dm back on, change it from, for example, general midi to other CCs and see if that sorts it.

In other news, I'm listening to a lot of early 80's stuff for the synths. Duran Duran's Planet Earth, for example. Quite a lot of their output still stands up today, imo.

Did you sort it? Just for clarity, it's triggering the synth on every hit, like, every hit on the kick, snare, hats, or just, for example, the kick?

I would try turning off midi to the drum machine first, sort the synth, turn the dm back on, change it from, for example, general midi to other CCs and see if that sorts it.

In other news, I'm listening to a lot of early 80's stuff for the synths. Duran Duran's Planet Earth, for example. Quite a lot of their output still stands up today, imo.
Not had chance since my last messages, unfortunately. Will give it a go this weekend.

Planet Earth is amazing :cool:

Not had chance since my last messages, unfortunately. Will give it a go this weekend.

Planet Earth is amazing :cool:

I've never used midi through but if you can, I'd get a multiport midi interface, then have the hardware on it's own separate port. Have Ableton send clock to everything.

I've never used midi through but if you can, I'd get a multiport midi interface, then have the hardware on it's own separate port. Have Ableton send clock to everything.

Yeah, seconded. MIDI is complicated enough when you're trying to work out what's going wrong, so having it on it's own output is the way to go imo.

This might be on my wish list. Roland SH-4d. I only sold my Sh-32 last year cos I needed the desk space though.

I was looking at that yesterday. Went on the Roland site for something else and caught a blast of it. Looks cool. Lots of different waveforms and a pattern sequencer? I'm in. I bet it's nuts as a midi controller too.

Yeah, I had the Sh-32 for donkies. It was a lot of fun. This sounds like a more advanced thing in the same mould. The UDO6 desktop is also on the wish list haven't really got the desk space or cash for either yet though. :D

Back
Top Bottom