Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

On this thread, we like synthesisers.

Here's a psychedelic experience inspired by some TV themes you might recognise

I love that. Made me lol.

I am currently arranging my first ever tune. I tend to do this with anything I learn. I feel paralysed into learning more rather than actually doing something with the learning until I feel like it would be completely ridiculous to learn another thing. Anyway, I am arranging and each clip just starts. I have looked at Fade In and it doesn't seem to make sense. I have even slept on it. So, what's the Ableton way, good peeps?

I've started messing about with commercial samples. Something I did as a kid when i briefly had a casio thing with a two second sample thing you could have your cat meow into for laughs. I didn't do very much with it, but I always enjoyed taking little sound bites and playing funny rythms. Now i have a bit more gear to work with. So I started this. Bonus points if you can guess the sources (not everything is a sample, the drums and the bassline aren't).

I've started messing about with commercial samples. Something I did as a kid when i briefly had a casio thing with a two second sample thing you could have your cat meow into for laughs. I didn't do very much with it, but I always enjoyed taking little sound bites and playing funny rythms. Now i have a bit more gear to work with. So I started this. Bonus points if you can guess the sources (not everything is a sample, the drums and the bassline aren't).

I think I took ‘commercial samples’ to mean ‘from adverts’ haha 🤦‍♂️ pretty enjoyable, seemed to move through the decades somehow whilst maintaining the same theme.

Does anyone know what Bandcamp's policy is on artists using uncleared samples? I'm going to assume they don't like it and will boot you off if you get caught?

i dont know but almost certainly they wont know about it unless the copyright holder complains
theres endless dance tunes with unclerared samples on bandcamp
Sure, and as a nobody artist chances are you'd be fine. But losing bandcamp would not be worth it

Here's a link to a soundesign tutorial for the JUNO synths. As well as giving me a grounding in those pathways. it made me think of your immense studio, klang.

Also, what headphones are you all using? I was going to say Cans but then I remembered that I haven't earned that usage, yet. If you don't bother with 'phones then what monitors are you using? Although I think that the old headphone mix is essential, these days? I have a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT 100s, with a crushed velvet cup on them because fuck that sweaty plastic.

Last edited:
Here's a link to a soundesign tutorial for the JUNO synths. As well as giving me a grounding in those pathways. it made me think of your immense studio, klang.

Also, what headphones are you all using? I was going to say Cans but then I remembered that I haven't earned that usage, yet. If you don't bother with 'phones then what monitors are you using? Although I think that the old headphone mix is essential, these days? I have a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT 100s, with a crushed velvet cup on them because fuck that sweaty plastic.
i love these little cook books!

Reactions: bmd

I use Audio Technica M50x. They’re as good or better than cans that cost twice the price. No point using monitors to mix with if you’re in a square room. You won’t get an accurate representation of what’s happening.

Sounds good. Is there a software version? I have little room for hardware nowadays.
No, I looked for a software version for a while. It's a fairly new synth so no direct clones, but I'm sure you could mock something up in VCV Rack with some dedication.

It's has a pretty unique circuitry, I think. Monophonic, with 8 digital oscillators, through twin analogue filters, with a real spring reverb and an extra percussive oscillator. I'd be surprised if there's ever a 1-2-1 recreation made, unless you DIY.

fwiw - I really don't like headphones. They make me feel dizzy and too detached from the world. I never listen to music on the go. So - I don't mix on them, I only use them for tracking.

Back
Top Bottom