Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

On The CD Player Today (take 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help it. You have OUTSTANDING taste in the hip hop but also like the odd rayt good jangly guitar stuff. I don't usually have much truck with geetars an' that apart from stuff like Husker Du/Sugar, Peej, RFTC - basically, it's like you flipped through my music collection when you stick stuff up here. Is good.

You should know you've joined my cool/favourite people of the music forum list. As has Stephj actually.

It's a good list with Stavros, the killer b and the reverend m as long time members :cool:

Well, I shall consider that a great complement! :) :)

And...

41B139X2CCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

:cool:

I am listening to the Happy Mondays very very loud and thinking that 'Son, I'm thirty / I only went with yer Mother cos she's dirty' is the best opening line to a song ever.

I am listening to the Happy Mondays very very loud and thinking that 'Son, I'm thirty / I only went with yer Mother cos she's dirty' is the best opening line to a song ever.

It's a cracker isn;t it. I;ve always loved that line.

Currently listening to the Best of Woody Guthrie.

This land is your land, this land is my land from California to the New York Island

It took me quite some time to really get into Woody. Dustbowl Ballads, although immensely worthy, didn't touch me. The stuff he did with Cisco Houston - that's what swung it for me :cool:

anyway, I'm just finishing off that Randy and Earl Sunday Morning mix, which is one of my most frequently played comps :cool:

It took me quite some time to really get into Woody. Dustbowl Ballads, although immensely worthy, didn't touch me. The stuff he did with Cisco Houston - that's what swung it for me :cool:

Haven't heard that. Will have to look it up. I think some of his stuff can seem a bit 'worthy' at first listen, but I think he does an excellent job of combining the politics and the poetry. And he's scathingly funny about capitalist America. I find myself laughing and smiling at his lines much more often than earnestly stroking my (imaginary) beard.

Haven't heard that. Will have to look it up. I think some of his stuff can seem a bit 'worthy' at first listen, but I think he does an excellent job of combining the politics and the poetry. And he's scathingly funny about capitalist America. I find myself laughing and smiling at his lines much more often than earnestly stroking my (imaginary) beard.

Nah, only the dustbowl stuff seemed worthy - and even now I'm revising that. Interesting bloke and a great, if subtle, musician. I say subtle, I probably mean basic but stirring :D
There's a few good things on BBC 4 this weekend. Later: Folk America with Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris etc and a documentary about LA from The Byrds to The Eagles, Pick of the bunch for me though has got to be Bob Dylan at Newport which is on late tomorrow night. Never seen that and always wanted to see him react to being called a Judas.

so just the johnny cash stuff for me then

You never saw the electric performance thing?! Even I've seen that :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom