Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

On The CD Player Today (take 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst driving around today I have been listening to 2 albums that I don't recall the names of! It was Thurston Moore and then Viking Moses.

Girls Aloud - "Tangled Up" (on first listen an improvement on "Chemistry")
Mogwai - "Mogwai Fear Satan Remixes"
Babybird - "Bugged"
Brian Eno - "Apollo"
Th' Faith Healers - "Imaginary Friend"

yesterday: Eels - Beautiful Freak
Super Fury Animals - Hey Venus

today: Queen - A Night At The Opera
Pulp - Hits

Mogwai - "Mogwai Fear Satan Remixes"

One of the few consistently excellent single artist remix albums.. Really love the Kid Loco one, and the Surgeon one..

Me:

Growing - Lateral.. Really fascinating kinda riff-based artiness

The Essential Jimmie Rodgers

Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician

Me:

Growing - Lateral..

Blimey, how did I miss that one? :confused: I've been into this lot for a couple of years now. 'Soul of the Rainbow' and 'The Sky's Run Into the Sea' have this great sense of something massively powerful and moody contained in relatively restrained music. Since 'Colour Wheel' they've started doing a more stop/start, or blobs of colour thing that I'm not sure about tbh, but I'm going to have to check out this new one.

Anyway, for me:

Paul Giger - Chartres
Wim Mertens - Receptacle
Stars of the Lid - Music for Nitrous Oxide

Blimey, how did I miss that one? :confused: I've been into this lot for a couple of years now. 'Soul of the Rainbow' and 'The Sky's Run Into the Sea' have this great sense of something massively powerful and moody contained in relatively restrained music. Since 'Colour Wheel' they've started doing a more stop/start, or blobs of colour thing that I'm not sure about tbh, but I'm going to have to check out this new one.

I wasn't sure about them, I thought they might be more Wire-approved metal, IYSWIM, but with them it's almost the reverse: rather than making doom metal and getting perceived as arty, it's like they set out to achieve something and decided riffs were the best way to do it. Or something.

They're on tour supporting Boris soon, I think

Ooh - is that good? Or a bit limited? I've only heard a few Brown tracks (the obvious ones) and he's a bit one-trick :D

one trick? you've got to be kidding :eek:

Blues, jazz, country, cajun, guitar, fiddle, bandleading/ arranging the guy could do it all (pretty amazingly well IMO)

Incredibly versatile musician, didn't like to be pinned down to a single genre.

Er, yes tis good though. (not that I am hugely familar with Louis Jordan)

Well, I only know Ain't Got No Home and a couple of tracks that sound like lazy reoworkings of it :D

Recommend a taster?

You're not thinking of Clarence "Frogman" Henry are you cos' I don't think Brown ever recorded "Ain't got no home"? :confused:

Anyhow difficult to recommend tracks from an artist who had a career spanning 60 years but start with his first recordings 1947-1951 then Big Mammou (if you can find it) (late 70's) or the grammy winning "alright again"
(1983)(but don't let that put you off):D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom