Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Omicron news

Respectfully suggest it just goes in the Mutations thread, given we don't know yet how serious it is or whether it'll be superseded by a deadlier still one later

Yeah, it's already being discussed there -

The world response, even from Boris Johnson's pro-COVID government, has been a lot speedier than I expected, though since omicron cases have been found going back to at least Nov. 9, I'm not sure how much travel restrictions are going to help.
Nov 9th? where were they found then?

The world response, even from Boris Johnson's pro-COVID government, has been a lot speedier than I expected, though since omicron cases have been found going back to at least Nov. 9, I'm not sure how much travel restrictions are going to help.
They buy a little time, some of which can be used for good things and some of which will just be used by our government to drag its heels in other areas.

As I've mentioned in another thread, people should wonder what the test specimen dates were for the 2 cases confirmed in the UK so far.

Not that the UK authorities are even going through with the full pretence that the announced measures are a genuine act of containment this time around, unlike previous occasions where there was plenty of extra bullshit on that front.

Nov 9th? where were they found then?

South Africa - don't know when the first known case outside SA was.

IThe B.1.1.529 variant was first reported to WHO from South Africa on 24 November 2021 ... In recent weeks, infections have increased steeply, coinciding with the detection of B.1.1.529 variant. The first known confirmed B.1.1.529 infection was from a specimen collected on 9 November 2021.

why is everyone woried about a transformer

transformer2.jpg

*gets coat

Next few weeks will be interesting. Vax companies already running experiments to determine efficiency of existing vaccines.

Cases so far appear to be mild but lots to learn asap.

Reactions: Ax^

The B.1.1.529 variant was first reported to WHO from South Africa on 24 November 2021. The epidemiological situation in South Africa has been characterized by three distinct peaks in reported cases, the latest of which was predominantly the Delta variant. In recent weeks, infections have increased steeply, coinciding with the detection of B.1.1.529 variant. The first known confirmed B.1.1.529 infection was from a specimen collected on 9 November 2021.

This variant has a large number of mutations, some of which are concerning. Preliminary evidence suggests an increased risk of reinfection with this variant, as compared to other VOCs. The number of cases of this variant appears to be increasing in almost all provinces in South Africa. Current SARS-CoV-2 PCR diagnostics continue to detect this variant. Several labs have indicated that for one widely used PCR test, one of the three target genes is not detected (called S gene dropout or S gene target failure) and this test can therefore be used as marker for this variant, pending sequencing confirmation. Using this approach, this variant has been detected at faster rates than previous surges in infection, suggesting that this variant may have a growth advantage.
There are a number of studies underway and the TAG-VE will continue to evaluate this variant. WHO will communicate new findings with Member States and to the public as needed.

Based on the evidence presented indicative of a detrimental change in COVID-19 epidemiology, the TAG-VE has advised WHO that this variant should be designated as a VOC, and the WHO has designated B.1.1.529 as a VOC, named Omicron.

As such, countries are asked to do the following:

• enhance surveillance and sequencing efforts to better understand circulating SARS-CoV-2 variants.
  • submit complete genome sequences and associated metadata to a publicly available database, such as GISAID.
  • report initial cases/clusters associated with VOC infection to WHO through the IHR mechanism.
  • where capacity exists and in coordination with the international community, perform field investigations and laboratory assessments to improve understanding of the potential impacts of the VOC on COVID-19 epidemiology, severity, effectiveness of public health and social measures, diagnostic methods, immune responses, antibody neutralization, or other relevant characteristics.

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Worried scientists in South Africa are scrambling to combat the lightning spread across the country of the new and highly transmissible omicron COVID-19 variant as the world grapples with its emergence.

In the space of two weeks, the omicron variant has sent South Africa from a period of low transmission to rapid growth of new confirmed cases. The country’s numbers are still relatively low, with 2,828 new confirmed cases recorded Friday, but omicron’s speed in infecting young South Africans has alarmed health professionals.

“Young people, in their 20s to just over their late 30s, are coming in with moderate to severe disease, some needing intensive care. About 65% are not vaccinated and most of the rest are only half-vaccinated,” said Mathivha. “I’m worried that as the numbers go up, the public health care facilities will become overwhelmed.”

What looked like a cluster infection among some university students in Pretoria ballooned into hundreds of new cases and then thousands, first in the capital city and then to nearby Johannesburg, South Africa’s largest city.

Studying the surge, scientists identified the new variant that diagnostic tests indicate is likely responsible for as many as 90% of the new cases, according to South Africa’s health officials. Early studies show that it has a reproduction rate of 2 — meaning that every person infected by it is likely to spread it to two other people.

A key factor is vaccination. The new variant appears to be spreading most quickly among those who are unvaccinated. Currently, only about 40% of adult South Africans are vaccinated, and the number is much lower among those in the 20 to 40-year-old age group.

South Africa is boo hooing about how theyre being treated unfairly.. it's clearly really shitty for them this new variant but their vaccination roll out is a shambles... they have way too much stock and not enough people getting jabbed. its almost December and they're still way behind with vaccine roll out despite being the most "developed" country in Africa.

It's really shit because these southern african countries are likely to be more badly affected than Western Europe. I completely support the travel bans though and PCR testing all international arrivals, contact tracing, imposing quarantine if necessary etc.

South Africa is boo hooing about how theyre being treated unfairly.. it's clearly really shitty for them this new variant but their vaccination roll out is a shambles... they have way too much stock and not enough people getting jabbed. its almost December and they're still way behind with vaccine roll out despite being the most "developed" country in Africa.

It's really shit because these southern african countries are likely to be more badly affected than Western Europe. I completely support the travel bans though and PCR testing all international arrivals, contact tracing, imposing quarantine if necessary etc.
I'm firmly of the opinion that we should have closed our borders to all but essential food and medicine back in March 2020, of not earlier. We are an island, which gives certain advantages.

Even these restrictions - self isolate, test within a couple of days are rubbish.

Get off a plane at Heathrow, mingle with other people from all over the world in arrivals, get the tube to Kings Cross, get home to wherever, then self isolate? How many people have caught it off you in the meantime?

New variants are all over the world before we know about them.

The lessons form Omicron are

1) Vaccinate the world
2) stop international flights till this is under control.

Sorry, pissed and ranting, but I'm sick of this shit and government's hopeless approach.

i'm quite surprised ZA had not put restricted on the united kingdom before Friday

South africa has a hell of a lot more immune surpressed members of the population than the united kingdom
and even with the vaccine the UK had higher rates of daily infections

they are pissed because of tourist and business visitor numbers

daily passager flights only really started up again recently

i'm quite surprised ZA had not put restricted on the united kingdom before Friday

South africa has a help of a lot more immune surpressed members of the population that the united kingdom
and even with the vaccine the UK had higher rates of daily infections

they are pissed because of tourist and business visitor numbers

daily passager flights only really started up again recently
Frankly, I'm surprised the whole world hasn't banned UK travellers, given our government's record.

well atm they trying to figure out if this varriant avoid the immunisation you have with your booster

so until thats worked out you have the best coverage avalable

stick with the mask mind

Back
Top Bottom