Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympics 2024 - General Discussion

Not just shooting. Laser shooting. One of the weirder events.

I like that the start is staggered,so the first over the line is the winner. So much more satisfying than the heptathlon where you have to wait for the points to be tallied

And the Aussie getting bronze from sixth because of the others going down
It's Steve Bradbury all over again. 😄
XdM2TY.gif

Emily Campbell is awesome. I'm glad she's having a good games. I remember a big hooha about her in Tokyo because we've never really been very good at weightlifting. Something something first Olympic medal by a Brit? Can't recall now!

Gotta laugh... 6% think they could make the 100m sprint. 😂 😂

27% of Britons reckon that they could qualify for a sport at the 2028 Olympics, if they started training today

% saying they would definitely/probably qualify for...
10m Air Rifle: 15%
Archery: 13%
Badminton: 10%
Table tennis: 9%
Rowing: 7%
100m sprint: 6%
Road race: 6%
100m Breaststroke: 6%
Trampoline: 6%
Shot Put: 5%
Cycle sprint: 5%
Dressage: 5%
Fencing: 5%
Golf: 5%
Volleyball: 5%
Basketball: 4%
Football: 4%
Windsurfing: 4%
Triathlon: 4%
Water polo: 4%
Rhythmic Gymnastics: 3%
Artistic Gymnastics: 3%
Diving: 3%
Rugby Sevens: 3%
Skateboarding: 3%

yougov.co.uk/sport/articles…

And on that note I head out for my slow jog.. LA here I come.. :cool:

Gotta laugh... 6% think they could make the 100m sprint. 😂 😂

27% of Britons reckon that they could qualify for a sport at the 2028 Olympics, if they started training today

% saying they would definitely/probably qualify for...
10m Air Rifle: 15%
Archery: 13%
Badminton: 10%
Table tennis: 9%
Rowing: 7%
100m sprint: 6%
Road race: 6%
100m Breaststroke: 6%
Trampoline: 6%
Shot Put: 5%
Cycle sprint: 5%
Dressage: 5%
Fencing: 5%
Golf: 5%
Volleyball: 5%
Basketball: 4%
Football: 4%
Windsurfing: 4%
Triathlon: 4%
Water polo: 4%
Rhythmic Gymnastics: 3%
Artistic Gymnastics: 3%
Diving: 3%
Rugby Sevens: 3%
Skateboarding: 3%

yougov.co.uk/sport/articles…

And on that note I head out for my slow jog.. LA here I come.. :cool:

Obviously most of those are ridiculous and the 100m stands out but for me so does table tennis with it's 9%. Anyone (like me) ever fancied you were ok at that game? Then played someone who is REALLY ok at it...different level. Totally.

Until they introduce overloading a dishwasher as an Olympic sport, I’m under no illusions I could ever be competitive at any of them.

Obviously most of those are ridiculous and the 100m stands out but for me so does table tennis with it's 9%. Anyone (like me) ever fancied you were ok at that game? Then played someone who is REALLY ok at it...different level. Totally.
Aye, it's always that issue of, because they're all performing at (roughly) the same level, it flattens out the perception of how truly exceptional they each are.

I still catch myself thinking "sure, ok, that doesn't actually look that hard", because they make it look easy.

I do always get the itch to want to have a go against the best. Not because I think I'd stand any chance, but just to actually understand the difference first hand.

I see the Netherlands finished sixth, just reward for their indefatigable moral courage in doing absolutely nothing about the fact they had a kiddie rapist competing for them.

Aye, it's always that issue of, because they're all performing at (roughly) the same level, it flattens out the perception of how truly exceptional they each are.

I still catch myself thinking "sure, ok, that doesn't actually look that hard", because they make it look easy.

I do always get the itch to want to have a go against the best. Not because I think I'd stand any chance, but just to actually understand the difference first hand.

Dunno your age, or your abilities in anything, but tennis is another good one. I played a bit as a young adult when I was still fit. I was definitely ok. Played regularly for a couple of years with a couple of mates, both of whom weren't 'bad' either but I could beat them. One day myself and one mate were playing somewhere in a park in London. Tall American guy politely watched us then asked if he could join in. "I'll play both of you" he said. At the same time, he meant. Yeah, go on then.

Barely saw his serves, let alone returned them. Then he told us he was on the American college circuit or something. That explained it. In a fairly humiliating way.

Bronze for Finucane in the cycling, confirming that GB will go home after medalling on every single day.

In her first games she has bagged a hatrick of medals which is some going

Local to me, Carmarthen girl.

Ridiculously, Carmarthen has a velodrome. It was the obsession of one man basically, and he played a lot of clever politics to get it done.

So, 2028 Olympics are in LA, and 2032 in Brisbane...

Be good if they could start finding some new countries to host them in.. Also kind of wish I'd made more of an effort to go to things in 2012 given there isn't going to be another one in Europe until I'm well into my retirement. :facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:
So, 2032 Olympics are in LA, and 2036 in Brisbane...

Be good if they could start finding some new countries to host them in.. Also kind of wish I'd made more of an effort to go to things in 2012 given there isn't going to be another one in Europe until I'm well into my retirement. :facepalm::facepalm:
If it's any consolation, the winter Olympics are in Italy in about 18 months.

So, 2032 Olympics are in LA, and 2036 in Brisbane...

That was genuinely one of my biggest motivations to go this year.

I fucked up 2012 by watching almost all of it from my sofa, and I realised that, if I'm lucky, I've got maybe 10 Olympics left (well, 9, now...).

I'm also a bit underwhelmed by the idea of LA and Brisbane, but fuck it, 'tis what 'tis.

So break dancing's not getting a recall into LA. I hope it wasn't the kangaroo girl dressed like a cricketer who scored.... zero... that did it

Coz she was my highlight.

That was genuinely one of my biggest motivations to go this year.

I fucked up 2012 by watching almost all of it from my sofa, and I realised that, if I'm lucky, I've got maybe 10 Olympics left (well, 9, now...).

I'm also a bit underwhelmed by the idea of LA and Brisbane, but fuck it, 'tis what 'tis.
I applied for loads of minor tickets for 2012 and didn't get any of them. Wasn't till too late I discovered I could have shown up to some of the football group games and got in on the day. Did go down for the paralympics and watch David Weir on his way to gold, in the marathon, though, which pretty much made up for it.
47269_10151144871920256_1660355960_n.jpg

I think I went to see the marathon in 2012... but from memory I could only see the tops of a few heads so not very exciting. I spent a few evenings failing to get tickets on re-sale..

Had better luck wth the World Athletics Championships in 2017 - went a couple nights, and got to see Mo Farah win the 10,000m gold.

So, 2028 Olympics are in LA, and 2032 in Brisbane...

Commonwealth Games 2026 are going to be in Glasgow according to several sports journos on Twitter.

Back
Top Bottom