Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympics 2024 - General Discussion

Doesn't seem like 5 minutes ago that Tokyo was handing over to Paris with Kevin Mayer and the officials (granted, it was a year less).

Soon be that again and onto LA in 2028, hope nothing self destructs and Tom Cruise completes his mission :)

I found out today that the 2032 edition (after LA) is going to be in... Brisbane

Wtf. It's not even a real place (or is that Erinsborough?), they've only just had Sydney, and honestly IOC, I don't think there's much untapped sporting potential there that needs a bit of a boost :mad:

I found out today that the 2032 edition (after LA) is going to be in... Brisbane

Wtf. It's not even a real place (or is that Erinsborough?), they've only just had Sydney, and honestly IOC, I don't think there's much untapped sporting potential there that needs a bit of a boost :mad:
Hope none of the events take place in Ipswich, near there. When I was over it literally stunk of shit. Dunno if there's a major sewage works there, or something.

Anyway, looking forward to the gold medal match for GB in taekwondo later.

It's just occured to me there's a pretty direct pattern:

'32 Brisbane | '00 Sydney
'28 LA | '96 Atlanta
'24 Paris | '92 Barcelona
'20 Tokyo | '88 Seoul

You'd then have to really stretch the connection to just 'the Americas' with Rio ('16) and LA ('84)...

Austria stun the field with a perfect starting the Madison, nicking 20 points but making sure they waited to cross the line first to get the 5 for the sprint.

Tbh threre's talk of bad blood towards TeamGB after some drama with the sprint Bronza medal (they were booed at the medial ceremony, despite race judges solely having control over any dq'ing), so I think TeamGB will get marked to fuck so I don't have any expectation for a medal (not to mention they had to sub in the reserve rider).

I'm reminded how infuriating this can be, you just don't understand why they didn't chase the Austria rider! I grew up in GB Track dominance era, so seeing the teams more evenly matched takes some getting used to.

Austria stun the field with a perfect starting the Madison, nicking 20 points but making sure they waited to cross the line first to get the 5 for the sprint.

Tbh threre's talk of bad blood towards TeamGB after some drama with the sprint Bronza medal (they were booed at the medial ceremony, despite race judges solely having control over any dq'ing), so I think TeamGB will get marked to fuck so I don't have any expectation for a medal (not to mention they had to sub in the reserve rider).

I'm reminded how infuriating this can be, you just don't understand why they didn't chase the Austria rider! I grew up in GB Track dominance era, so seeing the teams more evenly matched takes some getting used to.
They’ve just been deducted their 20 points for losing a lap :D

Edit: and again, they’re on minus points now!

Looked like he at least swerved to barge him. Do Netherlands not at least get penalised points for that? If you compare it to F1, it was hardly just a "racing incident." :confused:

I see Saudi Arabia don't have a single medal. So that's the Games going to them in 2036 I expect.

It's a moot point. With the Olympics becoming harder and harder financially to host, I'd say Riyadh has more chance of a Games than say Copenhagen.

You get Gold for perfect execution no?

With the Olympics becoming harder and harder financially to host, I'd say Riyadh has more chance of a Games than say Copenhagen.
I have been absently pondering recently if we might start seeing a different type of games hosting in the future.

While claims of 'sustainability' are always questionable in these kind of things, Paris made much of the fact they're doing it somewhat on the cheap, with only two new permanent venues being built.

Likewise, one of the main reasons cited for London winning their bid (against Paris, somewhat ironically) was the 'legacy' aspect, the fact that any new venues would have an ongoing use.

So, I wonder if what people come to expect of the Olympics, and thus how much it costs to put them on, might change.

Of course, that could make it make it more prohibitive in a different way, if hosts are required to have a lot of the existing infrastructure already. The football World Cup demonstrates how much of an issue that can be, and that's just one sport!

I mean, part of me thinks the IOC should just invest in the infrastructure themselves, store it somewhere and then lend the host city whatever prefab venues they don't already have. F1 being a lot of their own buildings for their travelling circus... :hmm:

The Netherlands have been DQed from the men's madison, in cycling, after van Schip headbutted Ollie Wood, yesterday. He's also been fined over 900 quid. Doesn't do much for GB apart from bumping them up to 9th place but, didn't honestly see them doing anything to challenge for a medal, anyway.

Loving the weightlifting, on the iplayer. Emily Campbell going really well. Big smiles, lifting confidently and the crowd seem to really like her.
edit Just lifted her lifetime best by 4kg, with ease, smiling all the way through it!

The Netherlands have been DQed from the men's madison, in cycling, after van Schip headbutted Ollie Wood, yesterday. He's also been fined over 900 quid. Doesn't do much for GB apart from bumping them up to 9th place but, didn't honestly see them doing anything to challenge for a medal, anyway.

It was a bizarre thing to do. GB wasn't even in the mix for a medal at the time.

Emily Campbell gets bronze. Well done and love her incredible hair.
6f78a1a8-1943-469a-a4ed-17c78b447f33.jpg.webp

Back
Top Bottom