Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Old Skool Hardcore

Looking to see if I can get down for this... East London/North London hardcore crew :)
erpflyer6_640x640.png

92-93 optimism has never felt so far away for me.... Sad to say I don't think I'll ever feel that way again in my lifetime .... That said me and my old raving gang have all got tickets for the Orange reunion party in December, I wonder if I can feel it again even for a few hours

I sometimes forget that dancey rave time music took on the descriptors 'Garage' and 'Hardcore' from the guitar punks.

It happened again just now.

I sometimes forget that dancey rave time music took on the descriptors 'Garage' and 'Hardcore' from the guitar punks.

It happened again just now.

Garage in its first 'dance' incarnation took its name from the Paradise Garage - late 70s disco club. House itself originates from the Warehouse - also late 70s club. Both US, black, and heavily gay underground scenes. Hardcore was first used more commonly to describe a harder sound of house around 91 - with both UK and European roots in house, techno, industrial music (70s), and new beat (late 80s), although before then you had tracks with titles such Hardcore Hip House from 89 which originates from the crossover at that time of house and hip-hop.

So, not really taken from guitar/punk. More just different styles of music with different origins/lineages using same words.

Last edited:
So, not really taken from guitar/punk. More just different styles of music with different origins/lineages using same words.
Well dur. Obviously they didn't come from the same origins as guitar/punk, but they did take / use descriptors that were already well established in music. It just proves frustrating at times when you are flipping through records or directed to genres. Knowing where anyone took those names from doesn't help.

Well dur. Obviously they didn't come from the same origins as guitar/punk, but they did take / use descriptors that were already well established in music. It just proves frustrating at times when you are flipping through records or directed to genres. Knowing where anyone took those names from doesn't help.
Paradise Garage was called because the club was in a former building being used to store cars. You claimed in your earlier post that the descriptor of the 'dancey version' of Garage was taken from the 'guitar punks'. Now you're revising to 'established in music'. It was taken from the club that was called that because of its former use.

Last edited:
Just had a mailout regarding a new exhibition starting in October charting Bizzy B and Brain Records...

Rendezvous have been doing excellent work last few years documenting Forest Gate and Leyton rave history including DeUnderground and the Dungeons...

exhib.jpg

(pic from previous exhibition)

Back
Top Bottom