Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Old shop front revealed on Atlantic Road

Sorry to raise the ghost of posts past, but you are absolutely right. Amelia Smidt was my great-great-grandmother and the family name was changed in 1914 after protest action was taken (bricks in windows, apparently.) I wonder if the Saxe-Coburg von Gotha family had the same problems?

I never met her, but did visit the bakery when I was a kid (in the early 1970s) My great grandfather was still alive, but not talkative to children. The old ovens were still in daily use - even if the machinery was slightly more modern.

Regards,

Mike Wilson
Australia

Wow never saw this post!! great story! Wished I'd photographed the glass behind the sign at the time. Here is the original ghost sign with Smidt on.

schmidt1.jpg

There's a nice ghost sign on Elm Park. It's hard to make out exactly what it says, but I think it's "Makers of Daren" - a rival bread to Hovis.

It used to say "Clapham Bakery for Stacey's home made Bread - HOVIS" which you can see on the Lambeth Landmark website.

Seeing as this post mentions Wilson's/Schmidt's Bakery at 66a Brixton Road I thought I'd let you know that I've done a feature on the bakery and on the Schmidt/Wilson family over on my site - Oval History It might be of interest to some of you!

Chris

Really great story - love your website!

Seeing as this post mentions Wilson's/Schmidt's Bakery at 66a Brixton Road I thought I'd let you know that I've done a feature on the bakery and on the Schmidt/Wilson family over on my site - Oval History It might be of interest to some of you!

Chris

Thanks for sharing this history. I cycle past Di Lieto's most days but haven't been in yet, tho' I did used to buy from there when it was on Sth Lambeth Rd. Will be sure to pop in and for some of their lovely bread.

Back
Top Bottom