Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Old shop front revealed on Atlantic Road

Top stuff. I love discovering old bits of history like that. There's a newsagent in my town that has a tiles on the floor of the entranceway, advertising "WH Smith" - humble origins! There's also a couple of old pubs where the lettering or signs can still be made out. I also have an unhealthy interest in abandoned railways. :S

Anyone remember the bookshop that had a huge beautifully painted portrait of Chairman Mao over it, Along Acre Lane I think? It was there in the 70s and maybe into the 80s. As soon as the shop closed down it got covered up. Could it still be there?

Top stuff. I love discovering old bits of history like that. There's a newsagent in my town that has a tiles on the floor of the entranceway, advertising "WH Smith" - humble origins! There's also a couple of old pubs where the lettering or signs can still be made out. I also have an unhealthy interest in abandoned railways. :S

The Lounge on Railton Rd has some kind of mosaic in the floor at the entrance, doesn't it? Can't remember exactly what.

If you are on the top deck of the bus towards oval you can see a faded paint on bricks sign saying ''FOR YOUR THROAT'S SAKE, SMOKE''
It said for your throat's sake, smoke Craven A

There used to be a fantastic 1930's sign for a gentleman's clothing shop in Market Row called Pincus Rose. I just did a search and found something about Pincus Rose of 3 Market Row who changed his name in 1933 from Pincus Rosenberg, presumably to make it sound less Jewish and more English like lots of immigrants did at that time. It harks back to the considerable Jewish population in Brixton at that time with a sizeable synagogue, now the Eurolink Business Centre in Effra Road.

Ah. I couldn't see all of it. Perhaps it was just too faded.

The Lounge on Railton Rd has some kind of mosaic in the floor at the entrance, doesn't it? Can't remember exactly what.

I'm sure someone on here said quite recently. The old name or the old owner's name....

.There used to be a fantastic 1930's sign for a gentleman's clothing shop in Market Row called Pincus Rose. I just did a search and found something about Pincus Rose of 3 Market Row who changed his name in 1933 from Pincus Rosenberg, presumably to make it sound less Jewish and more English like lots of immigrants did at that time. It harks back to the considerable Jewish population in Brixton at that time with a sizeable synagogue, now the Eurolink Business Centre in Effra Road.

There was a Jewish orphanage in West Norwood too.
Did that synagogue close because of er, lack of demand then?

Already snapped for the site - and there's a David Greig feature in the works too!

brix028.jpg

There was a Jewish orphanage in West Norwood too.
Did that synagogue close because of er, lack of demand then?

I think there has just been a gradual migration to North London, no idea why, but I know there were lots of jews associated with Brixton, the development of the arcades etc.

There was obviously another branch in East Dulwich, because there's an identical one in what is now Le Chardon (French restaurant).

On the side door of the hootynanny you can still see the words "The George Hobgoblin" in a rather nice script.

I think there has just been a gradual migration to North London, no idea why, but I know there were lots of jews associated with Brixton, the development of the arcades etc.
Well, more like further down the A23. A lot of people go to the synagogues in Streatham instead now (Orthodox and Liberal Reform).

Also Pincus Rose was open in the market until relatively recently. I bought a very nice dress there a few years ago

Quite a few moved "further south", to Streatham (hence my old synagogue on Prentis Rd), Thornton Heath and Croydon from the 1930s onwards, not least because of the Mosleyites. Back when my great-grandmother came here, and lived in Fulham, Brixton was where a lot of business-minded and/or professional south London Jews aspired to live, but as Brixton became more densely-populated, so the conditions for anti-Semitism were exacerbated (with there being an unfortunate number of slum properties owned by Jewish landlords well into the 1950s) and Mosley's thugs were pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back.

The block I lived in some years ago on the St Matthew's Estate, (within site of the old Synagogue - now Effra Road Business Centre), was apparently originally built to house Jewish refugees (or so I was told by some very long term residents of 40 odd years).

The block I lived in some years ago on the St Matthew's Estate, (within site of the old Synagogue - now Effra Road Business Centre), was apparently originally built to house Jewish refugees (or so I was told by some very long term residents of 40 odd years).

Was that Effra Mansions- the red brick block on the east side of Crownstone Road?

I can remember that like the Streatham High Road mansion blocks, it still had mezuzahs on a lot of the doorframes, although many of them had been painted over.

On the side door of the hootynanny you can still see the words "The George Hobgoblin" in a rather nice script.

I can't work this one out. Why would "The George Hobgoblin" be written there??? I know the Hoot used to be the George Canning and The Hobgoblin at different times, but why the combined name written in a rather nice script???

Was that Effra Mansions- the red brick block on the east side of Crownstone Road?

No - Crownstone Court which runs from St Matthews all the way through to Crownstone Road - next to Effra Mansions. There are also still mezuzahs on the doorframes there - mostly painted over.

If you are on the top deck of the bus towards oval you can see a faded paint on bricks sign saying ''FOR YOUR THROAT'S SAKE, SMOKE''

Yeah, that's on the left-hand side just before Kennington Park.

An old sign was revealed when Nisa renamed themselves. It was for Chinese something or other. Can't remember, but probably not as old as the one Editor's posting about.

They knocked down all but the facade - spruced it up and built the business centre behind (and towering above) - early 90's if I remember right. It had been derelict for as long as I can remember. Definitely no synagogic action through the eighties. I have some photos somewhere but they're too far from the sofa...

Back
Top Bottom