Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Oh ketchup...

*shakes fist at grammer*

Cabbage should be boiled in with a nice joint of bacon. Then ýou throw away the horrible cabbage and consume the ham with chefs brown sauce

;)

My doctor would love me to go to KFC :D
Can't say I disagree with him/her.:(

Olive oil is very, very good for your heart health. If you can get over your fear of calorie-dense foods, it would be a Very Good Thing to be eating.

I mainly get fat from nuts. The only meat I'll really eat is chicken or fish, quite literally can't remember the last time I ate red meat. I've been so strict and regimented on myself for such a long time now it no longer feels like the prison sentence most people make it out to be. Sure, there's lots of foods that I'd like to eat, but I do get enjoyment out of those foods I do eat. A cauliflower isn't seen as a treat to most people but for me it's something I genuinely look forwards to. I eat more fruit and veg than most vegetarians I know.

Tomato ketchup though is horrible stuff - especially Heinz.
And I hate Eddie Izzard for making me try Lea and Perrins.
My sister in law puts malt vinegar on most of her food - but she is even more overweight than I am.

It sounds like your love of veggies could be a way in to increasing your calories - I'm a very lazy cook - I use too much oil in my wok so I can leave it to stew without so much fear of burning, but veggies can be sautéed with the minimum amount of oil - perhaps you could try small amounts of very posh oils ?

How are you with salad sprouts or chickpeas ?

Tomato ketchup though is horrible stuff - especially Heinz.
And I hate Eddie Izzard for making me try Lea and Perrins.
My sister in law puts malt vinegar on most of her food - but she is even more overweight than I am.

It sounds like your love of veggies could be a way in to increasing your calories - I'm a very lazy cook - I use too much oil in my wok so I can leave it to stew without so much fear of burning, but veggies can be sautéed with the minimum amount of oil - perhaps you could try small amounts of very posh oils ?

How are you with salad sprouts or chickpeas ?
Salad sprouts and chickpeas are fine. I love hummus for example but I'd only eat a small amount (damn oil!). I'd love to buy posh oils but my money is better spent on posh coffee :D. Ironically (and amusingly to a few other people with ED's that I know) I don't mind eating chocolate every day (dark stuff, for health reasons innit).

Olive oil is a lot cheaper than nuts, and healthier than dark chocolate. :)

I'm relieved to hear it!

If they're the right sorts of nuts they'll do the same job as healthy oils will. :)
Any nut really, love almonds and walnuts in particular. Hazel/Brazil/Macadamia for ''special'' occasions. Quite fond of peanut butter also (the stuff that needs stirring prior to being used).

I'm anorexic (7 years now). Funnily enough, I eat a wider variety of food than anyone else I know. When I'm cooking something, I look at the oil/butter and think ''I could use that and make a stir fry or something'' but then I just think of the calories and how they could be better ''spent'' on more vegetables. Same with milk and sugar, I can't make myself waste calories on them in tea/coffee for example 'cos I'd rather eat another carrot for dinner (for example). I dream of carbohydrates.

I don't mean to pry but are you getting any treatment for it?

Any nut really, love almonds and walnuts in particular. Hazel/Brazil/Macadamia for ''special'' occasions. Quite fond of peanut butter also (the stuff that needs stirring prior to being used).

I am much reassured. :D

Almonds and walnuts, in particular, are very heart-healthy nuts. :cool:

I don't mean to pry but are you getting any treatment for it?
On and off, local adult mental health services are utterly dire round here, I routinely go 6 months+ without seeing any kind of health professional. I've been on the waiting list for CBT for so long now I can't remember not being on the list. I get my blood tested frequently/get weighed/tested for this that and the other. My issue is being both short AND slim, compounds the problem somewhat (5ft 5''/7 stone).

I am much reassured. :D

Almonds and walnuts, in particular, are very heart-healthy nuts. :cool:
Aye, quite a few ''super foods'' are in my diet. Blueberries are an obsession of late. And kale.

Reactions: ymu
Do you think you're getting taken less seriously because you're a bloke? GPs can be a bit shit about these sorts of things.

This is in Suburban, BTW (in case you'd forgotten and would prefer to keep this in a private forum).

Do you think you're getting taken less seriously because you're a bloke? GPs can be a bit shit about these sorts of things.
I've had that an awful lot from various people. My current GP is rather...useless but my contact with him is minimal anyway. I had to fight to get a diagnosis because I wasn't seen as having a problem, I was just ''thin and needed to eat more''. Convincing people that you have fundamental psychological problems with eating food is more difficult than you'd imagine it to be. Being told to ''just eat more'' is one of the themes of my life. Also being told my eating will kill me by people who are morbidly obese is a common theme.

If only I had tits...:(

On and off, local adult mental health services are utterly dire round here, I routinely go 6 months+ without seeing any kind of health professional. I've been on the waiting list for CBT for so long now I can't remember not being on the list. I get my blood tested frequently/get weighed/tested for this that and the other. My issue is being both short AND slim, compounds the problem somewhat (5ft 5''/7 stone).

Aye, quite a few ''super foods'' are in my diet. Blueberries are an obsession of late. And kale.

kale and blueberries are both indeed awesome.

I have to echo what ymu said...let me know if you want and I will delete my posts about this topic.
That's too bad that it's hard to get services. I used to be anorexic, and 7 years seems like a very long time to be suffering like that. Do the physicians you see know about it?

kale and blueberries are both indeed awesome.

I have to echo what ymu said...let me know if you want and I will delete my posts about this topic.
That's too bad that it's hard to get services. I used to be anorexic, and 7 years seems like a very long time to be suffering like that. Do the physicians you see know about it?
Blueberries would be nicer if they weren't so damn expensive! Wonder how they taste with ketchup...

Nah it's fine, no need to delete anything :). All the health people I see know about all my problems, I've had to make a point of being really open about it otherwise people don't listen or take me seriously.

I am not really a ketchup fan. Neither my mum or dad really like it and me and my sister grew up not fussed about it.

Chips with mayo or just a fuck load of salt and vinegar.
Bacon, sausages breakfast stuff with brown sauce.

I will eat ketchup, I don't hate it, just don't choose it.

I'm also quite a fan of boiled vegetables by themselves but with salt and maybe brown sauce.

I'm anorexic (7 years now). Funnily enough, I eat a wider variety of food than anyone else I know. When I'm cooking something, I look at the oil/butter and think ''I could use that and make a stir fry or something'' but then I just think of the calories and how they could be better ''spent'' on more vegetables. Same with milk and sugar, I can't make myself waste calories on them in tea/coffee for example 'cos I'd rather eat another carrot for dinner (for example). I dream of carbohydrates.

I haven't read the 2nd page yet so don't know whether anyone else has already said it. But that seems to be very high functioning, though. Don't you think? If that is the correct term. That's what I do when I eat well. Leave out the butter as I'd rather have the mayo on my fries.

I've had that an awful lot from various people. My current GP is rather...useless but my contact with him is minimal anyway. I had to fight to get a diagnosis because I wasn't seen as having a problem, I was just ''thin and needed to eat more''. Convincing people that you have fundamental psychological problems with eating food is more difficult than you'd imagine it to be. Being told to ''just eat more'' is one of the themes of my life. Also being told my eating will kill me by people who are morbidly obese is a common theme.

that sounds very frustrating. :(
I hope you finally do get the help you need. I don't know much about the health care system in the UK so I can offer zero advice, but best of luck to you.
You deserve to get real treatment for this.

I have a sleep disorder that wasn't even diagnosable in the UK until I was 29, so I can most definitely empathise. :mad:

People don't know what to say. It's really hard to get your head around someone else's mental health problems. Have you found anything useful online? Sometimes it just takes someone else's words (because they never believe you, of course :rolleyes: ). AFAIK there's been a substantial rise in eating disorders amongst men, probably thanks to the rise in vacuous magazines for men and the kind of 'feminism' that says treating men badly is somehow striking a blow for equality.

You have to fight for treatment as well as diagnosis. If he fucked up with the diagnosis, you might be able to apply more pressure about treatment.

I find modern living difficult 'cos food advertising is just EVERYWHERE you look, everywhere you turn, on every channel/every advertisement. You can't escape it. It astounds me there aren't more people with ED's if I'm honest, modern living polarises eating too easily. You're told to eat bigger all the time but then chastised for being fat and guilt tripped into freak dieting and gym memberships that never work, putting you back to square one.

I haven't read the 2nd page yet so don't know whether anyone else has already said it. But that seems to be very high functioning, though. Don't you think? If that is the correct term. That's what I do when I eat well. Leave out the butter as I'd rather have the mayo on my fries.
High functioning how?

I find modern living difficult 'cos food advertising is just EVERYWHERE you look, everywhere you turn, on every channel/every advertisement. You can't escape it. It astounds me there aren't more people with ED's if I'm honest, modern living polarises eating too easily. You're told to eat bigger all the time but then chastised for being fat and guilt tripped into freak dieting and gym memberships that never work, putting you back to square one.

High functioning how?

Though you are restricted in what you can eat, what you do eat, and how you eat it, sounds healthy! I think that is positive. I don't know how much heartache the restrictions cause you; like the poster above I would not want to ask on a public thread and don't expect an answer.

But anyway; ketchup! Yes.
And cabbage: I bloody love cabbage and I even like it when it has been boiled to death and back again. Brings out that nice bitter taste. And great farts!

ETA I have just realised that we are 57 posts in and nobody has mentioned The Macarena. Or UB40! Still smarting over that one.

Though you are restricted in what you can eat, what you do eat, and how you eat it, sounds healthy! I think that is positive. I don't know how much heartache the restrictions cause you; like the poster above I would not want to ask on a public thread and don't expect an answer.

But anyway; ketchup! Yes.
And cabbage: I bloody love cabbage and I even like it when it has been boiled to death and back again. Brings out that nice bitter taste. And great farts!
Boiled white cabbage and leeks is even nicer, the leeks give it a nice sweetness. Bit of white pepper and the obligatory ketchup and Bob's your uncle.

Quantities aside, my diet is impeccable. NHS poster child, me. :cool:

very true observations there, Callum.

In my experience, being able to break free from eating disorders can come from realizing how ridiculous all that stuff is and not letting it get to you.
I was an anorexic teenager, and went on to do the yo-yo thing, addictions to exercise, etc., and attaching a lot of my self-worth to my weight.
In my late 20's I had a bizarre series of experiences that I think ended up being helpful.
I went through a break-up with a boyfriend who literally would not touch me anymore because I had gained some weight ( not very much, mind you) to losing that weight and feeling confident again to meeting and falling madly in love with a man who turned out to be into larger women, and who kept trying to convince me to stop riding my bike and to eat more. despite the fact that I knew this was wrong, I did end up gaining weight and when that relationship failed (shocker)
I soon met a guy who seemed to think I was his soul mate and vice versa yet kept making comments about my weight :facepalm:
It was such a bizarre series of events that I just couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't put up with stupid people who were going to judge me on my weight and be so manipulated themselves by media images of "what looks good", and more than that I wasn't going to put up with that kind of nonsense from myself. Ever again. Because it really is all bullshit.

Sorry, that was a bit of a tangent and probably not helpful.

What actually pulled me out of anorexia when I was a teenager was my older sister pulling me aside and saying "enough. you've lost ENOUGH weight. Time to stop."
I know it's nowhere near that easy in most cases. It's just that I had tried so hard to pull myself out of it, unsuccessfully, that I was scared I never would be able to have control of my mind again, yet she managed to sort of break the spell with just a few words.

very true observations there, Callum.

In my experience, being able to break free from eating disorders can come from realizing how ridiculous all that stuff is and not letting it get to you.
I was an anorexic teenager, and went on to do the yo-yo thing, addictions to exercise, etc., and attaching a lot of my self-worth to my weight.
In my late 20's I had a bizarre series of experiences that I think ended up being helpful.
I went through a break-up with a boyfriend who literally would not touch me anymore because I had gained some weight ( not very much, mind you) to losing that weight and feeling confident again to meeting and falling madly in love with a man who turned out to be into larger women, and who kept trying to convince me to stop riding my bike and to eat more. despite the fact that I knew this was wrong, I did end up gaining weight and when that relationship failed (shocker)
I soon met a guy who seemed to think I was his soul mate and vice versa yet kept making comments about my weight :facepalm:
It was such a bizarre series of events that I just couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't put up with stupid people who were going to judge me on my weight and be so manipulated themselves by media images of "what looks good", and more than that I wasn't going to put up with that kind of nonsense from myself. Ever again. Because it really is all bullshit.

Sorry, that was a bit of a tangent and probably not helpful.

What actually pulled me out of anorexia when I was a teenager was my older sister pulling me aside and saying "enough. you've lost ENOUGH weight. Time to stop."
I know it's nowhere near that easy in most cases. It's just that I had tried so hard to pull myself out of it, unsuccessfully, that I was scared I never would be able to have control of my mind again, yet she managed to sort of break the spell with just a few words.
I've not always been thin, I was obese as a child (14 stone at my largest). I woke up one day and I'd just had enough, so I decided to lose weight MY way. It came off sure enough but just created all sorts of mental cracks to appear. Now it's a battle of attrition, trying to keep my willpower up, not wanting to give in, ever, to anything. Christmas is THE worst time of year for that sort of thing but I always seem to get through. Diet and exercise have just become part of life, you learn to cope with being exhausted, you learn to stop caring about hurting people's feelings when you reject dinner invitations/party invites/refuse to eat their lovely baked food/have to give away gifts of food etc.

Being thin is never enough. Sometimes I want to smother myself in ketchup and eat myself, be done with it all.

Back
Top Bottom