Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Occupy Wall Street

OWS was energised (imo) by the police tactics over there. Do you not think the same would happen here if the police waded in?
Irrelevant.You suggested it hadn't become a goer of a lack of sympathy with victims of police violence. There hasn't been any violence. Please don't ask me what the future might hold to support your argument about what's actually happened.

It hadn't become a goer of a lack of what?. That doesn't make sense.

Is it not possible to draw parallels with what happened in the states then?
Become a goer because of a lack of sympathy with victims of police violence. as per your claim.

It is. And the one you drew was crass and ill-informed, telling us nothing whatsoever about either occupy, popular opinions towards it or anything else.

It is. And the one you drew was crass and ill-informed, telling us nothing whatsoever about either occupy, popular opinions towards it or anything else.
I think the different police tactics towards the protests and it's effect on the perception of the protests itself is a valid point to bring up, the police tactics have been brought up on this board and in the news. I don't really care if you think that's crass.

In my little mind? That there is not popular support for london occupy because of support for police aggression. This was your point yes?
Apologies for the little mind comment.

It was a one-liner about police brutality and it's effect on the protests, I'm not quite sure how you got to "because of support for police aggression".

Now you've jumped all over it, It's clearer in post #1026

More on pepperspray Pike.
...an alleged anti-gay slur by Pike also figured in a racial and sexual discrimination lawsuit a police officer filed against the department, which ended in a $240,000 settlement in 2008. Officer Calvin Chang's 2003 discrimination complaint against the university's police chief and the UC Board of Regents alleged he was systematically marginalized as the result of anti-gay and racist attitudes on the force, and he specifically claimed Pike described him using a profane anti-gay epithet.
http://news.yahoo.com/uc-davis-leader-says-she-did-not-want-020814468.html

Meanwhile, Fox news analyst, Megyn Kelly has this to say on the actual pepperspray used: “It's, like, a derivative of actual pepper," she told Bill O’Reilly on Monday. "It's a food product, essentially."

https://rt.com/usa/news/fox-pepper-food-product-975/

I'm suprised that OWS haven't made more of the the currently prefectly legal practice of members of congress taking part in insider trading...or have I missed them kicking off about it? It seems like an empty net just waiting to be filled.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

He's everywhere and now in balloon form. :D
320639_261276903922029_200068713376182_685314_2002126755_n.jpg

Occupy Oakland are calling for an a coordinated shutdown of ports on the entire West Coast on December 12th - from San Deigo to Vancouver in solidarity with Longshoremen currently in conflict with the grain exporter EGT which is trying to bust their union:

San Fran #occupy is under attack at the mo....

well naughty police there.... though fair play to SF crew they have 'liberated' at least 10 premises under the radar

** ALL OCCUPY SF PEOPLE ** GET SOME REST & BE READY FOR 6PM GATHERING TONITE AT BRADLEY MANNING PLAZA ( formerly M Justin Hermann Plaza ). Take time to make notes of what happened to you & what you heard & saw during this mornings' raid & other police actions which harmed or disaffected anyone's Constitutional or Civil Rights. EMAIL NOTES ( with Subject: OCCUPY SF ) TO SFHOMELESS @ YAHOO.COM to be included in list for Class Action Law Suit for Compenastion, Punitive Awards & Injunctive Relief to Stop Bad & Harmful Acts of The City & SFPD going forward

Here's an account from one of the writers of Family Guy, he was arrested along with several hundred others at occupy LA.
http://myoccupylaarrest.blogspot.com/

My name is Patrick Meighan, and I’m a husband, a father, a writer on the Fox animated sitcom “Family Guy”, and a member of the Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Santa Monica.
I was arrested at about 1 a.m. Wednesday morning with 291 other people at Occupy LA. I was sitting in City Hall Park with a pillow, a blanket, and a copy of Thich Nhat Hanh’s “Being Peace” when 1,400 heavily-armed LAPD officers in paramilitary SWAT gear streamed in. I was in a group of about 50 peaceful protestors who sat Indian-style, arms interlocked, around a tent (the symbolic image of the Occupy movement). The LAPD officers encircled us, weapons drawn, while we chanted “We Are Peaceful” and “We Are Nonviolent” and “Join Us.”
As we sat there, encircled, a separate team of LAPD officers used knives to slice open every personal tent in the park. They forcibly removed anyone sleeping inside, and then yanked out and destroyed any personal property inside those tents, scattering the contents across the park. They then did the same with the communal property of the Occupy LA movement. For example, I watched as the LAPD destroyed a pop-up canopy tent that, until that moment, had been serving as Occupy LA’s First Aid and Wellness tent, in which volunteer health professionals gave free medical care to absolutely anyone who requested it. As it happens, my family had personally contributed that exact canopy tent to Occupy LA, at a cost of several hundred of my family’s dollars. As I watched, the LAPD sliced that canopy tent to shreds, broke the telescoping poles into pieces and scattered the detritus across the park. Note that these were the objects described in subsequent mainstream press reports as “30 tons of garbage” that was “abandoned” by Occupy LA: personal property forcibly stolen from us, destroyed in front of our eyes and then left for maintenance workers to dispose of while we were sent to prison.
When the LAPD finally began arresting those of us interlocked around the symbolic tent, we were all ordered by the LAPD to unlink from each other (in order to facilitate the arrests). Each seated, nonviolent protester beside me who refused to cooperate by unlinking his arms had the following done to him: an LAPD officer would forcibly extend the protestor’s legs, grab his left foot, twist it all the way around and then stomp his boot on the insole, pinning the protestor’s left foot to the pavement, twisted backwards. Then the LAPD officer would grab the protestor’s right foot and twist it all the way the other direction until the non-violent protestor, in incredible agony, would shriek in pain and unlink from his neighbor.
It was horrible to watch, and apparently designed to terrorize the rest of us. At least I was sufficiently terrorized. I unlinked my arms voluntarily and informed the LAPD officers that I would go peacefully and cooperatively. I stood as instructed, and then I had my arms wrenched behind my back, and an officer hyperextended my wrists into my inner arms. It was super violent, it hurt really really bad, and he was doing it on purpose. When I involuntarily recoiled from the pain, the LAPD officer threw me face-first to the pavement. He had my hands behind my back, so I landed right on my face. The officer dropped with his knee on my back and ground my face into the pavement. It really, really hurt and my face started bleeding and I was very scared. I begged for mercy and I promised that I was honestly not resisting and would not resist.
My hands were then zipcuffed very tightly behind my back, where they turned blue. I am now suffering nerve damage in my right thumb and palm.
I was put on a paddywagon with other nonviolent protestors and taken to a parking garage in Parker Center. They forced us to kneel on the hard pavement of that parking garage for seven straight hours with our hands still tightly zipcuffed behind our backs. Some began to pass out. One man rolled to the ground and vomited for a long, long time before falling unconscious. The LAPD officers watched and did nothing.
At 9 a.m. we were finally taken from the pavement into the station to be processed. The charge was sitting in the park after the police said not to. It’s a misdemeanor. Almost always, for a misdemeanor, the police just give you a ticket and let you go. It costs you a couple hundred dollars. Apparently, that’s what happened with most every other misdemeanor arrest in LA that day.
With us Occupy LA protestors, however, they set bail at $5,000 and booked us into jail. Almost none of the protesters could afford to bail themselves out. I’m lucky and I could afford it, except the LAPD spent all day refusing to actually *accept* the bail they set. If you were an accused murderer or a rapist in LAPD custody that day, you could bail yourself right out and be back on the street, no problem. But if you were a nonviolent Occupy LA protestor with bail money in hand, you were held long into the following morning, with absolutely no access to a lawyer.
fucking filthy pig scum :mad:

Here's an account from one of the writers of Family Guy, he was arrested along with several hundred others at occupy LA.
http://myoccupylaarrest.blogspot.com/

fucking filthy pig scum :mad:

wow.... feckers....
in kinda 'better news'

A national effort to reclaim vacant properties has one of the country’s largest lenders scrambling.
The financial website Zero Hedge has allegedly obtained a memo from Bank of America’s field services operation warning, “We need to make sure we are all prepared.”
Vocal New York organizer Sean Barry told Raw Story Tuesday that an action known as “Occupy Our Homes” would place foreclosed and homeless families in otherwise-vacant homes. That effort began Tuesday with over 40 events in more than 20 cities.

Back
Top Bottom