Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Now that COVID is here permanently

I see this extreme anxiety a lot more in the UK than here in Germany. I think much of that has to do with the UK having been hit far more severely due to an incompetent and reckless government. Our government has made mistakes too, but it has never behaved as cynical and contemptuous as Johnson & co.

I have to admit feeling a bit of a disconnect with how people discuss Covid on Urban compared to my friends here in Berlin. Here we felt that anxiety till we got the vaccines but since then I don't know anybody who is massively worried about the virus itself. Many of my friends have caught Covid since getting vaccinated and none of them got severely ill or had long covid.

The high anxiety response of many in the UK may perhaps be revealing a higher pre-existing level of anxiety and poor MH in the UK, in much the same way that the high UK death rate revealed poor levels of pre-existing physical health.

Re the Urban covid response, yes I feel the same way too, anything except a very strict "anti-covid/aspirational zero covid" discussion marks you out as a right wing anti-vaxxer etc. I think this may be another US cultural-political import, a legacy of Trump's creation of a right vs left narrative on covid which makes being strict on covid a badge of left identity for many. IME a lot of people on the UK liberal/left are unaware of the extent to which they recycle second hand US political ideas with little meaning here outside of their own echo chambers.

I see barely any extreme anxiety outside what I read on here tbh, most people seem to now be completely blase tbh!
I can only go by what I read on here as I don't live in the UK anymore. I'm not blasé, I'm exhausted and I'm tired of having the mental health problems I suffered due to this crises interpreted as not taking this pandemic seriously enough.

Last edited:
I don’t mix with people in crowded spaces or visit anyone particularly vulnerable, hence I’ve never done a LFT, ever, is this A Bad Thing? Should I be doing them regardless? Have to be honest, some of the threads here bear no resemblance to how I feel about all this. 🤷‍♂️

Viruses becoming endemic does not equal said virus becoming less deadly or disabling.
It means that enough people have developed a degree of immunity that we can live with the virus without disastrous levels of serious illness and death. However it seems like the omicron variant is more infectious but less severe.

Last edited:
I can only go by what I read on here as I don't live in the UK anymore, but . I'm not blasé, I'm exhausted and I'm tired of having the mental health problems I suffered due to this crises interpreted as not taking this pandemic seriously enough.
I've had to step away from covid discussions on here for periods - providing certain views can get you pretty nasty abuse, even when you back those views up. I agree with Coop that many of these issues have become infected by the nonsense from the US, which makes discussion difficult. But I don't think urban is at all representative of the UK on this issue.

I've had to step away from covid discussions on here for periods - providing certain views can get you pretty nasty abuse, even when you back those views up. I agree with Coop that many of these issues have become infected by the nonsense from the US, which makes discussion difficult. But I don't think urban is at all representative of the UK on this issue.
Delusional. I wont go through all this again but peoples track records can be examined, and yours was truly terrible.

It means that enough people have developed a degree of immunity that we can live with the varius without disastrous levels of serious illness and death. However it seems like the omicron variant appears to be more infectious but less severe.
I haven't looked for some time so these figures may not be true still, but after the first two waves (ie Spring 2020 and Autumn/Winter 2020-21) the median age for people dying with covid in the UK (ie not necessarily of covid) was 83, the average age of all deaths was 81. It's obviously a capricious and unpredictable disease but for the vast majority of the population it's not a high risk and personally I don't think it's remotely worth the levels of interference in our lives that we have suffered, let alone the huge attacks on our basic civil liberties. I get that not everyone will agree with that but the inability to even tolerate the argument seems to me like another a symptom of the anxiety you mentioned.

Delusional. I wont go through all this again but peoples track records can be examined, and yours was truly terrible.
Ah I see you've edited.

Your track record includes giving far too much time to the most pessimistic of modelling that later proved to be very badly wrong. Most recently you have been doing this for omicron.

And I'll leave that there. It's exactly the kind of thing that's pissed me off over this issue, particularly from you, who has misrepresented me very badly over the course of this.

Why dont you own your own claims from the past? Why not admit you got some stuff wrong, learn from those errors, and move forwards? Its a disgrace that you attempt to pull this bullshit now given your clear history of getting it all totally wrong.

I'm not going to sit here quielty while the shitheads who got it all wrong in the first few waves try to rewrite history.

Thing is the “it’s only fatal for a select group of people”* argument never accounted for how that still takes up huge NHS resources, and that does put the whole population at risk, both physically and mentally. An overstretched health service with exhausted staff and a high rate of redeployment and sickness will drastically impact other areas of the health sector, including some areas where a rapid response is needed.

As an aside, I’ve seen some anti lockdown proponents arguing that the reduced focus on these other services (cancer, cardiac and mental health being frequently raised) were somehow linked to COVID restrictions, whereas if there hadn’t been restrictions the situation would have been far worse.

*other than the fact that that it’s always problematic putting aside a chunk of the population as collateral damage

I mean have no doubt, this is a simple continuation of an ongoing argument between those who have never believed that lockdowns and some other stuff were necessary, versus those who believed such measures were sadly essential during nasty waves.

Those who downplayed the risks of the wave a year+ ago had the luxury of falling silent when that approach blew up in everyones face. Only to return later when they think things have moved forwards and there is a chance their stance might actually end up compatible with basic reality this time around.

If you stick to the same stance then eventually, after numerous waves, you'll stand a chance of being right. But dont ask me to overlook all the times you were wrong before reaching that point. Dont ask me to forget the pathetic bullshit claims that masks dont do much, that lockdowns dont do much. All you really mean is that you didnt like those measures, and that you intend to rewrite history to claim that you were right all along, instead of facing the unpalatable truths about the consequences of your stances in previous waves. Horrific shit, fuck off with that.

I see this extreme anxiety a lot more in the UK than here in Germany. I think much of that has to do with the UK having been hit far more severely due to an incompetent and reckless government. Our government has made mistakes too, but it has never behaved as cynical and contemptuous as Johnson & co.

I think this is a huge aspect tbh. The UK has been a pretty good example of how not to manage a pandemic, and it’s hardly been emotionally containing for the general population. No wonder there are such divisions now.

I think this is a huge aspect tbh. The UK has been a pretty good example of how not to manage a pandemic, and it’s hardly been emotionally containing for the general population. No wonder there are such divisions now.

Divisions exacerbated all the way through by the right wing and idiot fellow travelers by making some political virtue of being against public health measures.

But fwiw I do think things are different now (or will be once this wave has passed) but it will be very galling to see the mentioned groups crowing about it as some kind of final victory for liberty and common sense.

I dont see why I shouldnt get very angry about this either.

Anxieties that linger longer than they need to in this pandemic will need to be addressed. But to hear the bullshit some come out with, a new arrival on earth would be forgiven for not being able to guess at the number of hospitalisations that have resulted from this virus in England alone:

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 15.14.jpg

Has my maths gone dodgy or is that over 7% of 85+ year olds and over 2% of 65-84 year olds?

Divisions exacerbated all the way through by the right wing and idiot fellow travelers by making some political virtue of being against public health measures.

But fwiw I do think things are different now (or will be once this wave has passed) but it will be very galling to see the mentioned groups crowing about it as some kind of final victory for liberty and common sense.

Yes in terms of what comes next, I'll be waiting to see how the 'patients in mechanical ventilation beds' figures pan out during the Omicron wave, and will then calibrate my sense of what happens next based on that and some other NHS etc pressures in this wave.

I dont see why I shouldnt get very angry about this either.

Anxieties that linger longer than they need to in this pandemic will need to be addressed. But to hear the bullshit some come out with, a new arrival on earth would be forgiven for not being able to guess at the number of hospitalisations that have resulted from this virus in England alone:

View attachment 304240

Has my maths gone dodgy or is that over 7% of 85+ year olds and over 2% of 65-84 year olds?
How does that compare to pre-pandemic? 7% of over 85 yr olds having to be admitted to hospital at some point in over 2 years doesn't sound super high tbh, if that is what it means? Or have I misunderstood

It’s been nuts on here, and you’ve been one of the worst instigators of this extreme obsessive anxiety.
Well, your opinion is entirely up to you, but my experience of elbows' postings has been diametrically opposite 🤷‍♂️. And I'm not saying this because I want to start some kind of argument with you (I don't, and I shan't), but because in the face of that kind of comment, I think it's necessary not to stay silent.

How does that extreme obsessive anxiety pan out with people like myself who I'm pretty sure would not have survived the virus without vaccination and booster? And in Cornwall I'm assuming the main variant is still Delta which isn't the mild one and does go for the lungs.

I'm finding this language strange tbh. I've avoided people and I keep 2m away from people wherever I can and wear a mask when I meet people inside. Describing this motivated by fear is pretty fucking insulting - do you stick your hand on a cooker hotplate when the cooker's on? No. Are you permanently afraid of sticking your hand on a cooker hotplate when the cooker's on? No. You know what will likely happen if you do, so you just don't do it.

Where's the fear involved in that?

It’s been nuts on here, and you’ve been one of the worst instigators of this extreme obsessive anxiety.

A lot of people have been extremely anxious about something which represents a genuine existential threat. That's because of the threat itself, not any particular person's take on it. It's also because of their personal experiences; whether of being sick themselves, losing loved ones, struggling due to lockdowns or whatever else. Calling that response 'extreme' doesn't seem very helpful, and its certainly not a position rooted in any coherent notion of what a reasonable or moderate response would look like in contrast.

Back
Top Bottom