Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Next Microsoft flight simulator looks astonishing

Nothing wrong with using it for a bit of sight seeing, the one type of usage I have never understood is flying multi hour airliner flights.....there are strange groups of people who join virtual airlines, take off, stick the plane on autopilot for 4 hours then go do something else returning later to land and proudly log their hours in the VA's website.......weird as fuck

Nothing wrong with using it for a bit of sight seeing, the one type of usage I have never understood is flying multi hour airliner flights.....there are strange groups of people who join virtual airlines, take off, stick the plane on autopilot for 4 hours then go do something else returning later to land and proudly log their hours in the VA's website.......weird as fuck
Shouldn't they have a co-pilot monitoring flight if they are going to leave controls unattended?

Released 11pm today for the UK.

Cheers. If my brain is working properly those times are in UTC and we are on BST at the moment so the unlock time is still midnight.

Although I dont intend to buy proper joystick etc peripherals for this game, I did have a sniff around at what was available and at what sort of mind-boggling prices at the upper end. And was amused to see that stock levels are pretty much nil right now at all the price points I looked at.

Supposing one was thinking about indulging in a bit of both Flight Sim and Elite Dangerous (who needs real life anyway, right?) - is there much difference in the HOTAS requirements?

I'd be inclined to go for a sci-fi type number like this:

446892008.png

But will they also work with Microsoft Flight Sim? Any compatibility issues?

Also - foot pedals - still a thing?

That ‘Sci-Fi’ setup is actually a replica of the flight controls for the US Airforce A-10C Warthog. So it’s mainly used for combat simulators but it’s perfectly capable of controlling anything from a single prop up to a jet liner. Plus it better resembles a cyclical and collective (if you fancy helicopters) than a yoke and throttle quadrant does.

Apparently the parts of the world where Bing has 3D data will be fairly accurate. Areas where it doesn’t will be similar but using generic buildings. So roads and landscape might be accurate-ish but the buildings won’t be.
I think if you're flying around at ground-level you're probably not a very serious simulator player.

London is apparently not very impressive unless you buy a 3rd party add-on from the store.

No matter how stnning various locations look, I expect there will be no shortage of issues and comedy imagery for people to post. It will be a bit like the time Apple launched their maps.

London is apparently not very impressive unless you buy a 3rd party add-on from the store.

No matter how stnning various locations look, I expect there will be no shortage of issues and comedy imagery for people to post. It will be a bit like the time Apple launched their maps.

I own a lot of the UK Orbx stuff for xplane and apparently that gives a discount if buying again for MSFS2020. Which is nice.

Well it looks just as stunning as hoped.

It took 1 hour 37 minutes for me to download the 91GB before I could play, so by 1.37am I was ready to go. I was so tired by that point that I didnt even figure out what controller buttons wokred the throttle. I quickly changed all the settings for maximum ease and assistance. When looking at the map of my local area I was instantly distracted by the fact a 'Bedworth Airport' was showing up, even though Im not convinced it has an airstrip let alone an airport. So of course I had to try it. Having failed to figure out the throttle controls, I found a button to let the AI fly the plane. It ran out of runway before takeoff :D For my next attempt I simply started in the air, flew around this part of the midlands for a while, and the I tried a chunk of Wales before going to bed. Wonderful stuff!

So yeah, lack of skill is no barrier to enjoying the sights of this game at all. The lack of suitable hard disk space, beefy CPU and graphics card are the main barrier to entry.

Back
Top Bottom